Steam Graphics Card Use

I have been having a problem on Steam in regards to playing some games in Proton ..... mostly solved now ..... but still the proverbial small print on Steam and in some games ... which still drives me crazy .... is an on going thing .....

I have searched everywhere on the Steam settings but no where does it allow me to change the font to something readable ..... there is the 'Big Picture' setting which distorts the screen terribly ..... I've tried it numerous times .....

The Steam forum is worthless unless you want to be ridiculed by what appears to be the younger crowd .... some replies to another persons post with the same problem I have and are not called for .... things like....

Never heard of such a problem ....

Do a Google search you can even type it with your nose .....

Been repairing computers for more than 30 years and on here for 10 ..... this just can't happen .....

Somebody please remove this post ....

For a while I thought I was back on Ubuntu 30 years ago as those kinds of answers I got from those folks back then .... or just ignored entirely .....

Yesterday I found a plausible answer while searching the web again ..... one person said that they were using a gaming laptop ..... as I am ..... and found that the newer laptops used such a large amount of pixels in such a small screen that Steam doesn't have or want to fix a solution for this small print ..... he purchased an external monitor and everything worked just fine .....

I don't know anything about his statement or if it is even true
but he swears it worked ....

I did find however that looking at the hardware settings of my laptop on Steam it says it is using the Intel card instead of the Nvidia one which I believe is the better of the two .....

Anyone have any suggestions ..... tried various keyboard setting like .... Ctrl + and - but that doesn't work either ..... downloaded some apps from Ubuntu that would increase screen size but they appeared not work on Steam .....

1 Like

Have you tried turning off fractional (dpi) scaling?

In the affected game you are playing, you can you see if there is a three-dot icon for settings, then navigate to Performance and look for "Half rate shading". Disable that. Reboot the game and test...

1 Like

I have noticed this as well. I have changed the scaling to match monitor in interface as well as Library -> Display size, to no avail. In window$ you don't have to do much to change this, as the scaling works well to offer reasonable text size. For linux, though, it is definitely broken. In each game you may have options to modify the closed captioning, menu interface and other similar settings...depending on the game. Unfortunately, without global scaling, this is not something you can modify within steam.

You may try playing with the command line options, which can be entered into the properties General -> Launch Options textbox. You can view all the options here. I was looking for the options available for Steam itself, and ran across this.

I finally found a solution: steam -forcedesktopscaling=1.25. Of course you can change the 1.25 to whatever you need to be able to read the text in Steam UI. This value worked for me.

This is after attempting to use the GDK_SCALING=2 and creating a style called steamzoom, as listed on stackoverflow. Some of these options are outdated as steam has updated their directory structure and what commands are accepted. I hope this helps!

This may not resolve your in-game text issues, but will resolve the Steam UI issues.

1 Like

Thank you for all your help and suggestions ..... I actually have not had a lot of trouble with in game text issues but more with Steam UI issues .....

I have found a work around that I can currently live with involving the ....... 'Scale text and icons to match monitor settings' ..... it was turned off by default and I turned it on .... turned the 'Big picture' mode off ......

I will still try some of the other suggestions above when I read up a little more on how to use them as the text is still a little small ......

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.