Still can't get PicaSim to work in Zorin 16. Works fine in Pop! Os. Why?

I hear ya. I used Real Flight years ago to learn for both planes and helis before I got comfortable on the field and abandoned the sim. I still have RF but got lazy on trying to get it to work on POL (Windows user was when I had last used it). I have a sim Tx, I'll try Picasim some time now that I have it installed.

Your profile says you're using Core - is that Z16 or 15? I'm guessing the former because when I tried Z16 was when I had to learn about environment variables. That's basically where Mesa interfered with OpenGL. But once I set the environment variables like in the shortcut I described, everything worked fine.

One more thing to consider trying is after you install on a 32 bit virtual drive, try Configure -> Select Picasim shortcut -> Wine -> Configure Wine button -> Applications tab ->Change Windows version to XP and click Ok. I haven't done this on mine but it may help on yours.

Yes I am using Z16 on the machine I am trying to get PS to work on. That machine has a nice large monitor which makes flying RC more fun and easier on the eyes.

While you’re waiting to see if the older wine versions on POL make PS work, would you mind giving me the output of wine —version and then of playonlinux —version?

Well I am back at it again. Still trying to get PicaSim to work in Zorin. I misread what carmar posted. I thought he said he had installed it in Zorin 16 lite. But I just went back and read he installed it in 15 lite. Well anyway I have installed 16 lite and still get the same errors I got in 16 core. Here is a log file of the installation and first attempt at running PicaSim on Zorin 16 lite using POL.

12/18/21 16:40:56] - Running wine- --version (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
wine-5.0.3 (Ubuntu 5.0.3-3+zorin2)

PlayOnLinux logfile

Date: 12/18/21 16:40:56

PlayOnLinux Version
uname -a
Linux carroll-desktop 5.11.0-43-generic #47~20.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 13 11:06:56 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsb_release -a

wine --version
wine-5.0.3 (Ubuntu 5.0.3-3+zorin2)
POL_WINEVERSION

WINEPREFIX
/home/carroll/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/PicaSim
Distribution
Zorin OS 16
glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
glxinfo | grep renderer
GLX_MESA_query_renderer, GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
OpenGL renderer string: NVA8
OpenGL libs (Direct rendering testing)
check_dd_x86 missing, test skipped
check_dd_amd64 missing, test skipped

[12/18/21 16:40:57] - This is a 32bits prefix!
[12/18/21 16:40:59] - Running wine- cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles% (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
C:\Program Files
[12/18/21 16:49:53] - Running wine- /media/carroll/4152defb-4b48-43a1-ad16-75a71fd0c045/home/carroll/Downloads/PicaSim-Installer-11085.exe (Working directory : /)
[12/18/21 16:51:11] - Running wine- winepath -u C:\users\carroll\Desktop (Working directory : /home/carroll/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/PicaSim/drive_c)
/home/carroll/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/PicaSim/dosdevices/c:/users/carroll/Desktop
[12/18/21 16:51:43] - Running wine- PicaSim.exe (Working directory : /home/carroll/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/PicaSim/drive_c/Program Files/PicaSim)
X Error of failed request: GLXBadFBConfig
Major opcode of failed request: 152 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 0 ()
Serial number of failed request: 235
Current serial number in output stream: 235

Carmar if you see this, how do you like PicaSim? And any suggestions as to what to try next. I did try several different version of Wine and none of them worked. But I did get different errors depending on which version I tried. I know PicaSim can work in Linux on this machine because it works fine in Pop! Os on this machine. But I sure haven't figured out what is different between Pop and Zorin.

I don’t think you’ve tried it on Wine 6, correct? I recommend using synaptic to Completely Remove the existing Wine and then installing 6 for 20.04 using winehq. Note that if you get the GLXBadFBConfig error, you need to apply the POL console shortcut edit fix I mentioned earlier.
Using Synaptic to remove Wine 5 should ensure all old files are removed. These could be adding to the problem. Without synaptic I recall I had to hunt around for the wine folders in the home directory (and use ctrl+h to show the hidden ones).

Coincidentally, I ran picasim, last night. It’s pretty good. Reminds me of Realflight. I ended up doing a few minutes of hovering on a 3D indoor model - an indoor profile foamie also happens to be one of the three planes left in my fleet.
The Tx setup requires registering each channel under its own “joystick” channel on the joystick tab of the settings menu. Not hard but I thought I’d mention in case you get it running and wonder why the Tx isn’t recognized.

Anyway, let me know what happens after you upgrade to Wine 6 (but only after completely removing version 5).

Thanks for your reply carmar. I am glad you like PicaSim. I think it is pretty good for a free sim. I have done so much trying to get this to work that I am not sure if I tried Wine 6. I know I tried 6 something. I think it was 6.18 but that is from memory. I'll try again when I am less frustrated. I went into bios and told it to boot from the other hard drive that has Pop on it so I could copy down the log file from PicaSim. When I tried to come back to Z16 lite it won't boot up anymore. Only 16 core. I don't know what happened. I was just getting to like the lite version and now it appears to be gone. I am going to call it a night but I did want to see if you replied so I could reply to you and not leave you hanging. I do appreciate the time you have spent trying to help me. I am not giving up but getting lite installed and set up the way I wanted and then losing it has me a little worn out right now. I'll be back when I get a chance to try your last advice. Take care.

Sorry to read about your problems. That is strange. Different drives or just different partitions?
Yeah, please take your time. We will proceed whenever you have time. I was also going to ask you to run Picasim on Wine alone (no POL) but that’s a step for the back burner. Good luck with your reinstallation.

If I might add, and if you have the disk space and time, consider installing Z15: Download Zorin OS 15 Lite - Zorin OS just to see if you can get Picasim to run on that without any further steps.

carmar.

I did install 15 lite and after all the updates I just double clicked on the setup file for PicaSim. It then asked if I wanted to use Windows App Support to install the game. After a lot of downloaded packages and updates it then installed mono and gecko and then ran the installation file. Then it put a shortcut on my desktop so I double clicked on it and the game came right up. I had forgotten to connect my control box so shut it back down and restarted it with my control box. I got all the joystick settings set up and then selected a plane to fly. Everything seems to be working fine except for the graphics of the plane. No matter what plane I choose the graphics are mostly just black and flickering. But all the scenery seems to be fine. And the plane flies very smoothly. A little weird but at least now I can fly the sim on Zorin for the first time. I guess my next test will be to see if I can use the same procedure to get it to work on 16 core or 16 lite. I was really getting to like 16 lite when it just wouldn't boot anymore. Thanks again for your patience.

And to answer your question about the drives. I had both 16 core and 16 lite on the same drive. And Pop was on a different drive. Lite disappeared after i had used my bios settings to access the other drive which has Pop on it. So when I installed 15 lite I just put it on the partition that did have 16 lite on it. So we will see what happens next. This is a computer I got from an estate of a friend of mine after he passed away. So I don't really know the history of it. My main PC has 15 core and Windows on it and I don't do a lot of changing on it because everything on it is set up the way I need it to be with the programs etc I really need. I use this one from the estate for testing and learning on. And for making a lot of mistakes on. Ha Ha.

2 Likes

I’m glad you got it working. Not sure what is going on with the graphics. You could try a different driver (IF there are alternatives offered by the software updater). The machine I use is Gateway Laptop NE56R34u Intel Pentium B960 (2.2GHz) 4GB Memory 500GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 15.6" Windows 8 64-Bit - Newegg.com and I don’t get any graphics issues.
Under Options 1 ->Advanced -> (scroll to bottom of screen) Graphics settings, you could try changing those to see if that helps but I can’t imagine which of those would fix your problem (maybe shadows?). And your issue doesn’t seem like tearing either.

I wonder if it’s a drive failing for your OS to go out on you suddenly.

Did you try Lutris ? With a wine runner ?

Every runner has it's own version of wine, if you use the latest runner from the gloriouseggroll then you are on wine 7.0rc2

If you download the 6.21 runner your using wine 6.21.

Lutris is very very handy, you can install alot of runners without the need to install wine. Wine stuff is already included in the runners.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.