Suddenly 3.5 audio jack not working

The external speaker works fine but the 3.5mm audio not working anymore. It worked fine a few days ago. I am using an HDMI port for the external display and audio. I have changed it to HDMI audio and internal audio, HDMI audio worked fine but internal audio not working anymore. I have tested the speaker and it is ok. Does anyone face this kind of problem? How to solve this issue? Thanks.

Sometimes when you make a change in audio, also will reset to defaults and mute (MM) the output. I have had it happen to me, as well.
In terminal run

alsamixer

and check for any [MM] underneath the labled "Headphones" or "Front" or other applicable output for your headset jack.

You might also look at:

sudo apt install alsa-tools-gui

And investigate using GUI app. At the top, you can pick whether to run from the HDMI output or the Motherboard Soundcard.
@zabadabadoo , you may want to investigate this GUI app, as well.

@Aravisian. I did once use the GUI version of alsamixer (if that is what alsa-tools-gui is), but I found it no more use than the terminal version.

@coderhasib If still not working after playing with alsamixer.
In alsamixer hit F5 to display ALL sound channels, then post a screenshot here, so we can have a look and see if we can help.

Any idea what event preceeded loss of 3.5mm jack output. Kernel update maybe?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.