Suspend intermittent and warnings from journalctl -b

Hello, new(ish) to Linux and Zorin.

Acer Aspire 2TB. Memory 8GIB. Intel® Core™ i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 8. Graphics Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2). Zorin OS 16.3. 64bit.

Was a MS Windows 10 OS laptop. Completely overwrote this – not running dual boot.

Regularly keep system up to date via Software; Software Updater and (but only a couple of times-) Synaptic Package Manager.

Very little ‘in the engine room’ knowledge or experience. Issue(s) began to come to light when the laptop would not go into ‘suspend’ mode, either with the power button (set to do this in Settings) or using Terminal systemctl suspend. I had to use shutdown now. Since having Zorin I have not normally shut the laptop off, just gone into suspend mode overnight and all’s been well up until recently.

When this happens if I systemctl status I get Degraded in red rather than Running in green.

I have then run journalctl -b and found a number of red entries given below (I have no knowledge of how I could copy this log for it to be inspected):-

Red Warning

Integrity Problem Loading x509 Certificate -45 (which also flashes on 2 lines very quickly before the ACER splash screen)

x86/cpu sgx disabled by bios

Bluetooth service failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)

gkr-pam unable to locate daemon control file

Failed to Start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.

blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x800 phys_sg 0 prio class 0

Yellow warning(s) in amongst a raft of these of various types scattered throughout was the following and seeing ‘bug’ and ‘data leak’ set this 73 year olds heart pounding though reading the given link it didn’t look like I was set to have my online banking hacked – or could I?)

MMIO Stale Data CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible (followed by link to Processor MMIO Stale Data Vulnerabilities — The Linux Kernel documentation

which is way above my paygrade!).

Using software on the laptop hasn’t been an issue. I have searched for answer(s) but end up confused and possibly a bit scared.

My thoughts? Can most of these be ignored if there was a fix for suspend? Or, just have a go at using Zorin Upgrader to 17? Or do I have to re-install 16 and start again?

You can try in terminal

sudo apt install --reinstall ca-certificates

Intel Security Guard Extension is a BIOS / EFI setting. It can be enabled or disabled from there.

You can check in terminal by running rfkill list if anything is hardblocked or softblocked.
Please relay your findings here.

This is minor and likely due to the use of something like a Chromium based browser that needs to have the Gnome Keyring unlocked. The problem occurs when signals are sent for PAM after the initialization. Everything will still be authenticated by the time you reach the desktop, but it may leave you having to reauthenticate your browser.

In terminal, please run

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

This can be a bit more serious. I highly recommend running a S.M.A.R.T. test on your drive(s). These indicate input / output errors and may mean there is a connectivity issue to the drive or an issue with the drive. You might try cleaning and reseating the drive connections (Hoping this isn't a notebook computer as disassembly of the case can be more teeth-grating then a desktop (PC).

Don't let your heart race on this one. This deals with Intel Microcode and either updating the microcode or disabling mds can resolve this. Disabling it is done with a Grub parameter:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Find the line with quiet splash and add the parameter after it separate with one space mds=full,nosmt; it will look just like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash mds=full,nosmt"
Tap ctl+o to overwrite, then the enter key to save current configuration. Tap ctl+x to exit the editor. Now, you must run

sudo update-grub

for the changes to take effect.

I don't know all the the particulars of Linux at a deep level but I have learned over time Swap can play into the issues of laptop use. Primarily, when someone closes their laptop lid or puts it to sleep/hibernate/suspend. Not sure what the specific differences are right now. I can look them up later.

My point is that what seemed to work when I was using Linux on my laptop (it might have been Zorin or Mint - can't remember) I did't use Swap on my installations because I was on a desktop usually and installed it the same way on the laptop.

With a laptop, the rule-of-thumb I have learned that works is that your Swap file should be the same size as the amount of RAM installed. If you have 8GBs of RAM, you should have about 8GBs of Swap. Usually, the installations only put in 2GBs or 4GBs of Swap in a clean installation.

The takeaway is maybe look at expanding your Swap file size to match your RAM. I have no idea if it will work but I recall having issues on my laptop and when I made that change, it worked. I can't test it now because I keep Windows 11 on my laptop without dual booting.

Why is this? When you close your lid or suspend or whichever option turns of the laptop (or desktop) but saves your working contents, when it saves it - it goes to Swap. If you have a 2GB swap file but have 8GBs of RAM with about 5GBs in use, something gets lost when you restart. Sometimes it might be OK with the existing Swap especially if you are using say, 1.5GBs of RAM at the moment and you suspend or whatever but you have a 2GB/4GB swap file so there is enough space available to save the RAM contents.

I am usually tech savvy but I don't get how all this works sometimes so apologies if I am completely off course. I am going off what has been explained to me and my real world observations.

You say these, while pretty much hitting the nail on the head with each statement.

If using Hibernate or Suspend, users should have Swap on a separate partition.

As you say equal to and no more than twice what RAM you have.
Other than that, swap is just candy. It's existence may give the impression that swap gives the user "free RAM" to use, but in actuality, it can only be a fallback to prevent a crash due to low RAM, nothing more. And on an SSD, swap can help limit the lifetime of the solid state drive. If not using hibernate or suspend, most users today would benefit from not having swap at all.

Zorin OS creates a small 2gig swap file (same partition) by default with a swappiness set at 60. It's enough to save you from a system crash.

1 Like

That is why I don't use Swap on my desktop since I have 16GBs installed. I have been using Linux for about 6 years and for about 5 years no swap on desktop installations since I have an SSD.

I know a lot of bits and pieces but I learn how to put it together sometimes by reading from others that do know (like yourself).

I am no command line expert but can use it when needed and prefer not to use it. But all too often I have to research things deeply before executing with a terminal input.

Thank You. Very much appreciated. I now have some directions I can work on over the next few days. It can't be immediate because of external influences. As soon as I can, I will post.

Thank you. As Aravisian says, 'hitting the nail on the head'.
As soon as external influence permit, I will investigate this and see what Swap is set to.
Very much appreciated.

As requested for:-
Please relay your findings here.
rfkill findings below:-
ID TYPE DEVICE SOFT HARD
0 wlan acer-wireless unblocked unblocked
1 bluetooth acer-bluetooth blocked unblocked
2 wlan phy0 unblocked unblocked
3 bluetooth hci0 blocked unblocked
Advise of any action from this?

Further to original post.
I apologise. I did not include that I have two external hard drives that I keep permanently attached split from a single USB. One to Backup the other to Timeshift. Earlier this morning suspend would not work again so I shutdown via terminal (because was going out). On return I logged on from a shut down state but removed the USB before doing so.
Doing journalctl -b this time the following RED did not appear:-
blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x800 phys_sg 0 prio class 0
and

I will try a boot again with attached and see if appear.
Though I will still look at S.M.A.R.T. and I assume I would get this via?:-
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install smartmontools

I will slowly progress your other guidance in between other tasks.
(I note a pop up advising about replying. I am sorry if I break forum traditions but I still am a little strange to it - a minor stoke late last year requires managing which disables me with vision issues so I have to be careful which flippin keys I press !! - but only a little as I fight it!!)

1 Like

Some forum actions are automated. Several of them annoy me, as well. For example, I get notified if I am replying multiple times in a thread - which for me is inevitable since I provide a lot of helpdesk support.
You can bap the esc key to make that popup go away.

Interim reply so far.
Re when systemctl status goes from State: running (in green) to State: degraded (in red) I have referred to:

ran systemctl –failed and got:-
Failed item:-
fwupd-refresh.service loaded failed failed Refresh fwupd metadata and update motd

Using systemctl reset-failed it brought the system back to State: running.

I see this is firmware update service and I’m going to look to below for resolution:-

But why should this somehow cause a) State: running to fail and b) prevent command systemctl suspend from working??

And to previous possible solutions offered:-

Integrity Problem Loading x509 Certificate -45
You can try in terminal
sudo apt install --reinstall ca-certificates

Did not work.

Findings sent

x86/cpu sgx disabled by bios
Intel Security Guard Extension is a BIOS / EFI setting. It can be enabled or disabled from there.
Looked in BIOS/EFI and jiggered if I can see it.
TODAYS TASKS- (8th)
Only place can think of is under Security if I change some settings it might appear.
At the same time I’m going to disable Secure Boot to see if it gives me other options (like USB) because at moment only showing ubuntu.

Failed to Start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
In terminal, please run
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Did not work

Not now showing on journalctl -b
(even with USB attached and split to two external drives)

S.M.A.R.T. Test done anyway and result showed all as ‘OK’

Not now showing on journalctl -b
(even with USB attached and split to two external drives)

When a command is run in terminal, it relays output (most of the time). Can you include that output for any commands that "did not work" so that we have some idea of what it means?

Aravisian, thank you for the work you do.
I have to inform you and this forum, after having my email compromised and with the work needed to be done in the engine room of Linux I have decided to abandon my objective of escaping from the clutches of Mr Gates and Mrs Google and working towards all FOSS type stuff.
I'm too old at 73. I'm buying a new Dell Windows 11 Inspiron and using Google on it.
Sorry, but that's the way it is. Please close this thread.
I hope Zorin/Linux achieves a position where Terminal fixing is a thing of the past for 'Mr Ordinary Joe Public' who just wants to Log On and Go.
Blessings to all you clever uses.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.