System Dark Theme/Mode

Sort of solution- I think it's telling websites my SYSTEM THEME is dark, like Brave did. Dark Mode - Night Eye - Chrome Web Store

I also have the same problem where I set the dark mode of zorin apparence as you say
But when you enter sites such as YouTube and MDN (these sites apply the mode according to the system mode), but I notice that these sites discover that the system mode is the light mode, but on the other hand, I set the dark mode for the system and not the light mode
The problem here is that the sites do not detect the correct mode that has been set to the system by the user
Did you understand, dear?
I hope that the support solves this problem

1 Like

Though it should work, it doesn't mean that it always will. There are several ways to detect the systems theme, not all will produce the desired result. You can add dark reader, a browser extension written for the most popular browsers, that will enforce a dark theme even on sites where themes are not included.

1 Like

Let's see what I can suggest…
:point_right: ensure you set Dark Theme on Zorin Appearance, the THIRD option, NOT THE SECOND
:point_right: High Contrast should be disabled, check it on Settings > Accessibility
:point_right: I'd suggest to check Color on Settings but I don't know what you should see there, for example I just see Laptop Screen (enabled) with a profile named Automatic - K52N :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :person_shrugging:
:point_right: change settings on Zorin Appearance > Theme > Other
:point_right: you can use an extension for it :point_down:, if you don't mind about either using Zorin default choices or externals

But it's strange that you can't set Dark Theme, since when I installed Zorin I applied it and saw nothing wrong. And I wonder if it would be possible to reinstall the Dark Theme only, maybe then it works.

Those are interesting, just in case my suggestions above fail :point_down:

As i stated previously, it is up to the application devs to detect and apply themes according to the os. Windows and Mac use the QT libraries mostly. It would be on the devs to recognize and include GTK libraries. Zorin announces it's theme, evident in many of the gtk based apps you use on the system. If the site or app developer doesn't check for gtk theming, then the os is announcing to a def application/site. This isn't the issue of the os, but the site/app. In a browser, use an extension. In other apps, hope the devs include theming, even request it. There is nothing else that can be done (without inverting the colors manually or writing a script to do it when an application is opened).

1 Like

For Youtube, it detected my system mode correctly when it's first time launched. Unless if you then logged in to your google account to Youtube, then the site will use the default mode which is light mode.

EDIT: This sounds contrary to my previous statement. I forgot that the first time you launched Youtube, it should follow your system mode automatically.

1 Like

Apps like youtube recognize if you have a dark or a light system theme (on Windows) to set the site theme accordingly (does this word exist?), on zorin it doesn't work natively

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.