System startup problem

I have a problem with booting the operating system. When I start it, the Zorin logo appears, but then there's only a black screen. I have to connect a second monitor via HDMI and press Ctrl + C to skip the file system check. After that, it goes to the login screen, but I have to disconnect the HDMI because the black screen issue repeats.

Host: HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cc1xx
Kernel: 5.15.0-84-generic
CPU: Intel i5-8250U (8) @ 3.400GHz
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Memory: 12GB
(nvidia drivers 535)

I have had a lot of issues with Nvidia 535 driver. And... I have had trouble with the 5.15.0-84 kernel.
I recommend rolling the kernel back to the 5.15.0-83 and using the 525 driver.

You might try using the nomodeset parameter in your grub file:

2 Likes

I've noticed that the problem lies in secure boot. When it's enabled, the startup issue disappears, but a different problem arises – VirtualBox doesn't work. On the other hand, when secure boot is disabled, I have to tinker to get the system to boot, but VirtualBox works.

I've noticed that the problem lies in secure boot. When it's enabled, the startup issue disappears, but a different problem arises – VirtualBox doesn't work. On the other hand, when secure boot is disabled, I have to tinker to get the system to boot, but VirtualBox works.

Below, I'm providing my GRUB configuration, in case it might be of help:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu GRUB_TIMEOUT=15 GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

If Secure Boot is causing this issues, it is likely that you had Secure Boot enabled when you installed Zorin OS. Do you recall setting up MOKutils?
If it was me, I would wipe and reinstall Zorin OS with Secure Boot Disabled - no MOK, after backing up all personal data.

As far as I remember, I didn't configure MOKutils. Over the weekend, I'll make a backup of my data and try to reinstall the system with Secure Boot disabled. But I also noticed that in the Nvidia settings, I have a blank screen.
![Zrzut ekranu z 2023-10-08 17-20-46|83x28]
nvidia

And I have a question whether, during a system reinstallation, I need to only delete the / (root) partition, or also /home and SWAP?

Only /

/home and /swap can remain. And... that saves your home configurations, too.

Enabled Secure Boot can block Nvidia graphics drivers... So this is not very surprising if Secure Boot is where the fault lies.

I'm going to reinstall the system over the weekend and see how it goes. I'll let you know then. For now, thank you for your help so far.

In respect of Virtual Box, I ditched it 3 years ago after discovering virt-manager (Virtual Machine Manager). Be aware that it wants to store your VMs in /var. If running multiple VMs you will soon fill up /var and this in turn will cause system issues so I create a folder called 'storage' (you can call it whatever you want), and point VMs to be created there. The VM I had of Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit looked like a hard metal install. Wheb I used 2 monitors there was no need to release the VM cursor to the host cursor with right Ctrl key which you have to do with Virtual Box. Plus you can import Virtual Box VMs into Virt Manager!

I reinstalled the system with Secure Boot turned off and in NVIDIA compatibility mode. It's still the same; when Secure Boot is disabled, after the ZorinOS animation, there's only a black screen. The system only boots up normally after enabling Secure Boot.

I played around a bit and came to the conclusion that it's 99% a Secure Boot issue. When it's enabled, the system starts up fine, but when it's disabled, it doesn't want to boot. I don't know what to do anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.