Tar.gz files how to open them

Well I still don't see the mouse pointer in themes ....

There is a folder called cursors in my /.icons folder and it looks like this when I open it ....

But when I click on any of the items I get this ....

I tried to open in VLC and Text Editor .... VLC did nothing and it didn't like Text Editor at all .... had a heck of a time changing to anything else ..... so what do I use to open them ????

Frog, you should not open those files.
Those are the files designed how the cursors functions, they are very small and can be opened in gimp. But for what use??? just let them be.

1 Like

OK .... but why isn't my bee pointer showing up in my pointer options in my settings Mouse Pointer ..... ????

Because you extracted the individual files themselves into your ~/.icons folder.

They are supposed to be In The Folder That They Came In. With the Cursors.theme file in that folder.
It should be:
Folder bearing the Cursor Theme Name...
Then inside that, the Folder that contains the Files that make the images and the cursors.theme file...
Then inside the Folder that contains the Files that make the images, should be the Files that make the images.

1 Like

So I take the original folder that I downloaded and move it to my ~/.icon folder and not open it just leave it in there ... ????

If it is a .tar.gz, you need to extract it.
But don't empty all its guts into ~/.icons...

1 Like

What do I put into the ~/.icon folder .... when I extract the Bibata-Bee-Origional.tar.gz folder I get a folder called Bibata-Bee-Origional and when I open it I get 3 items

cursers folder
cursor.theme
index.theme

What goes into the ~/.icon folder ????

1 Like

This folder.

1 Like

It won't let me .... I can't move it or copy and paste

Ummm
Is the extracted file in your Downloads Directory?

How did you move that massive lot of image files in there the first time?

I can move each file by itself all three or each one individually but not the whole folder .... by copy and paste

This makes no sense to me. Are they on different drives?

1 Like

No .... I moved it .... I'll put it back and try again

I am so confused. Maybe screenshots may help.

1 Like

Sorry about that I'm used to moving stuff to where I want it and then downloading it back in Windows .... everything works fine and I have my little Bee Mouse Pointer ....

I thank you for all your help you are a patient patient man but I think I said that before ....

1 Like

So that is how you open tar.gz files .... I will not forget as I have plenty of other icons and things to play with that I downloaded ....

1 Like

Great job Frog,
using the Archive Manager app is really easy.
Like Aravisian said, you can double click or right mouse click. And with the Left upper corner button "Extract" choose a folder where to extract it to (even if its a master file - thats more folders compressed to one file).
Then go to the settings and set the cursor or theme you want.

1 Like

I already opened all those other icons .... was really simple I moved the Open with back to Archive Manager .... then split my desktop so I have downloads open in the right side and I opened the ~/.icon folder in the left side .... right click on a tar.gz folder ... choose open with Archive Manager .... when it opens I drag it to the left side folder ~/.icon and .... wala .... a new icon ....

But I do have a question about downloading themes .... when I open the folder I get a lot of different folders to open in ..... I assume ~/.themes ....

Can these folders be combined in another folder so they aren't scattered all around the ~/.themes folder .... just trying to keep everything neat in case I want to load other themes and may need to delete others .... will be kinda hard to locate all those folders again ....

Do you have Aravisian's Hornet theme downloaded .... if you do the Bee icon I just installed is fantastic .... it is black and yellow striped that move like the old fashion barber poles ... and it comes in chubby and skinny (original)

Can you provide a print screen, so I can get a picture of what your trying to achive?

Have had it installed. Reinstalled my system, so I also have to reinstall the hornet theme. Been trying to gain some knowledge on how to theme the gnome-shell, that's one of the subjects which Aravisian has not included - because of Gnome.

And just like you, I'm trying learn more about the Inkscape app, by watching the youtube videos. ("trying" to design those icons)

And no, I did not know about the Bee icons, where have you found them?

1 Like

These are all in one folder Treepata16.zip ...... hummmm just discovered it is a zip file so I must have copied a Win version file by mistake so it is a no go .... sorry ....

Look around they have hundreds of different icons .... pointers and themes it's a very interesting site just be sure you don't do what I did and download some zip files .... LOL

1 Like