Taskbar loses its transparency

I just installed Zorin os and i am loving it!
I enabled the auto-hide feature of the taskbar. I found that the task bar is loosing its transparency quit often, for example while any app is in full screen, the taskbar looses its transparency and after restoring the window down and hovering over the taskbar it regain its transparency.
What should i do??
Thanx in advance!!!

Welcome to the forum vansh-j. Unfortunately we can't help with anything until you share which version of Zorin you are using. 12, 15.2, 15.3, 16 beta? It may also help if you were to tell us what your hardware is, though it may not be hardware related, sometimes a driver or failing hardware does affect other systems.

If the transparency doesn't change when you're not auto-hiding the taskbar, you may want to disable that feature. If this is a gnome desktop issue, which I'm suspecting it may be, you may want to search their forum. Zorin is based on Ubuntu (Zorin 15.3 is equivalent to Ubuntu 18.04, Zorin 16 is equivalent to Ubuntu 20.04) including the respective gnome versions.

its Zorin OS 15.3,
ryzen 5, 8GD DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

There are different flavours of Z15.3 e.g. Core, Lite, etc. Which do you have?
We particularly need to understand if you have Gnome or XFCE desktop as taskbar transparancy setting in these is different.

1 Like

I also am using zorin 16, with gnome tweaks installed (no other extensions) and i have transparency when i autohide (intelligent) the Taskbar. There is no transparency when it's constantly visible. That said, i remember aravisian providing someone with the .css modification for a transparent Taskbar i believe. I'll post it if i can find it.

Edit:
I found this:

Which details how this same effect is changed based on windows being full screen. I believe this is a gnome issue. @Aravisian, if you wouldn't mind, may you assist in how to make the Taskbar transparent. I searched for it, but i believe it was not a thread title (in a video card troubleshooting if i remember correctly) and am unable to find it right now. When i have more time to dedicate to that endeavor I'll search again.

With that modification, it should be transparent always, autohide or not.

I have Z15.3 Core (i.e. Gnome) and use Gnome Tweaks for panel transparency which works fine, but I do not use autohide. See this reference:

I thought that would also work for Z16 Core Beta.

1 Like

I do recall someone asking about it and my inability to help them. I have run into the same trouble as you: Searching the forum has yielded nothing and I cannot recall the thread title.

Zorin OS brings more to the table than base Gnome-Shell and Ubuntu do. The ZorinGroup seeks to make Gnome more usable and accessible to users migrating to a New Operating System and uses Gnome Extensions to bring that about.
It used to be that creating a modified .css in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css or gnome-shell.css would allow changes to the Gnome-Shell. But testing it on Zorin OS 16, I could affect no changes.
I would need to load up an instance of Zorin 15 and see if anything happens.

1 Like

Thank you for replying aravisian. I'll see if i can find it with the advanced search.

Found this for the xfce4 panel, but should be able to modify for gnome-panel:

In your Home Directory, navigate to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ and right click open area; select New Document and name that new document gtk.css.
Open that document in a text editor and paste in the following:

.xfce4-panel.panel {
border: 1px solid transparent;
background-color: rgba(10, 10, 10, 0.1);
}
#zorinmenulite-window.background {
background-color: rgba(10, 10, 10, 0.1);
}

Covers the Taskbar and app menu transparency i believe.

Was in this thread:

1 Like

Sadly, this method will not work. Gnome-shell will only address "gnome-shell.css."
And even as I am typing this, I am logged into Gnome testing various ideas.

1 Like

Thank you for lending your expertise in theming... it would by a few weeks of trial and error for me.

I admit defeat. Nothing I do has any effect on the Zorin Gnome-Shell theme.
Other than modifying the Zorin Gnome-shell theme directly, of course.

That being said, the description in the OP sounds like a Settings issue, to me.

I believe that the extension is gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash.

In Zorin 16, if you right click the panel and open "Taskbar Settings", you can find Opacity Settings.

1 Like

You might find this hard to believe... :stuck_out_tongue: But I avoid Gnome like it is plague.
Because it is.
XFCE does not have an extension or app for Panel - but the settings do cover Intelligent Hide and Opacity.

I love plague...