The Road to Zorin 16

Thing is, 32-bit architecture is dead, nobody should be using a 32 computers anymore, they are slow, inneficcent, and don't support 4GB of RAM utilization or more.

Yes, I understand, you just don't want to throw away that old computer, especially if you bought it brand new over 20-years ago. But the reality is, technology goes obsolete.

Thing is, 64-bit archecture is where its at, and has been for 20-years at least. And CPU's just keep getting better and better. Used to be you only had a single core.

Now the gold standard for office computer's has reached about 4-cores in modern day. And in gaming machine, the gold standard is 8-cores.

It is in my opinion, Zorin team supporting 32-bit in 2021 makes no logical sense at all. 64-bit is where its at, people just need to get used to it.

What I am curious to know is, when will computer's move to 128-bit CPU's. People keep talking about quantum computing like its Star Trek or something.

I wonder if Quantum computing is just a fancy code for 128-bit CPU's or something?

Not... At... All...
Quantum Computing is just as it sounds. It uses qubits instead of bits.

The problem with miniaturization in computing is that the smaller you get, the more you begin to run into the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.
Eventually, if you get small enough, something as simple as a Gate will no longer work. An electron has a Statistical Probability of being on one side of the gate or the other... Or quantum tunneling right to the other side of a closed gate.
For classical binary computing which requires On / Off, this will not work. You end up with a Wave Function of off - on / on -off. Instead of being clearly defined as one or the other, it is a probability of maybe being one or maybe the other. That is superposition.

Quantum Computing seeks to rectify this by using superposition as an advantage, by listing each probable position as an outcome. This is way you can achieve such blazing fast speeds in Quantum Computing, as each probability can then be used as a computing factor.

Quantum tunneling is statistically negligible in classical binary computers because at this larger scale, the amount of tunneled electrons is very small. Though it may account for the ghost in the machine, it is not enough to render binary useless.
But when your paths are small enough to only allow a few electrons to pass at a time, a much larger number of electrons will tunnel, bypassing your logic gate.

1 Like

Your quite knowledgeable about quantum computing, thanks for the education. Some people say quantum chips are just right around the corner. But other's believe its still a bit far off.

Considering the pandemic situation, and technology shortage, I'd wager on the side of caution, and say ya, I think its a bit far off too.

Guy's: I created the link to the Z16 v conkey thread only to avoid it possibly being overlooked by the devs, who I am assuming may be following this Z16alpha feedback thread.

I think it would be good idea to confine posts here on this thread to Z16alpha feedback. I sometimes feel that @Aravisian's original ambition for that purpose has sometimes gone a bit astray.

That is a comment not criticism. Enthusiasm is a good thing. Keep posting your Z16alpha comments here. Z16beta will be better for it.

1 Like

I had renamed the thread cited by Zab because Aravisian noted here that harvey was asking for Z16: Zorin 16 alpha conky install - #16 by Aravisian - just so other readers don't mistakenly assume that Z15 was being used.
That said, my 2 cents is that it was a good idea for Zab to link that to this feedback thread.
I also agree with Zab's comment that it may be a better idea to keep posts confined to Z16 alpha in this thread, as was the original intent. In my opinion, there is some straying which may make it difficult for the developers to sift through. Those are just my opinions as carmar, not as CM.

Update: In addition to Zab's idea of linking to other Z16 threads, @337harvey has an idea of a more organized thread with appropriate links to various categories (please opine if I misunderstood). Just casting my vote (if it counts) in support.

That has been posted in feedback. If they ever get over there to view and possibly enact.

That right there, summarizes my thoughts completely.

Not that I use it much, but when I selected the software link in the zorin menu on the taskbar it says that gnome-software application cannot be found. I am unsure exactly how to access it otherwise. I guess I could modify the menus to include it, but I'm not sure if then it will run. In 15.3 if this link in the menu didn't work you could go to settings, and it was listed in the second or third category. This may not seem like a big issue, but those coming from windows may freak if something that is supposed to be like microsoft store isn't available to easily download applications. I'll dig around and see if the executable is broken or just the link (I believe). Refactor in IDEA or VSCODE would help with this.

Have you tried

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-software

no, installing now, but the link had worked prior to the updates.

The vertical Taskbar icon issue is fixed.

Edit:
Yeah, it's working now. Was something removed in one of the updates? Curious.

Beats me... but it is a alpha or beta build...

I'd say she's all but ready to be shared among others for final testing. With the updates, fixing the Zorin taskbar visual issue, inclusion of libraries (I'm assuming since several updates have included several libraries of varying types)...the more people testing at this point will allow for more possible issues to be found. Software that is not normally installed, or specific to preferences of those people. I cannot try to install and use every piece of software I see....I am not going to provide good feedback on something I don't usually use or attempt. It's not that I don't try new software, but I like Gimp, it's included, why would I attempt an adobe install...and the like.

Edit:
I guess we're waiting on them to choose wallpaper then? Kind of a simple thing to hold up going to beta. I'm sure there must be something else that is preventing the move forward. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

1 Like

Well if the software store was getting adjustments and the update caused an issue with it, I would assume there is more being examined than wallpaper.

1 Like

Something I have been looking for, and haven't found in zorin is a way to adjust the system fan, not gpu fan. I never heard it running, at all. In windows I've heard the buzz, felt the air, at the desktop with Firefox open, on battery. I have heard the jet engine ramp up when I'm playing a game on battery, didn't play long. No matter what I'm doing, even plugged in, the fan does not seem to be on in zorin, ever.

Possible way to adjust in power settings? I haven't seen it.

What temps are you running at?
That may be part of it. For me, at least; on several machines, Zorin runs cooler.

I always install lm-sensors whenever I re-install Zorin.
There is fancontrol
Zorin 15 : fancontrol : Bionic (18.04) : Ubuntu

Zorin 16 : fancontrol : Focal (20.04) : Ubuntu

WOW! DUDE! I totally didn't know that there was a fan control app for Linux. I already knew about LM-Sensors, but didn't know about Fan Control.

That is totally what I am going to need after I get my new computer. Gotta curb that fan from sounding like a vacuume blower fan lol.

Currently 37C...In the green. I dpkgd the fan control, but I'm not seeing it...terminal app?

Yes, configured through terminal.
If you want a GUI app (I have never tested nor used this):

You may need dependencies

sudo apt-get install libkf5config-dev libkf5auth-dev libkf5package-dev libkf5declarative-dev libkf5coreaddons-dev libkf5kcmutils-dev libkf5i18n-dev libqt5core5a libqt5widgets5 libqt5gui5 libqt5qml5 extra-cmake-modules qtbase5-dev kirigami2-dev libkf5kirigami2-5 libkf5notifications-dev qml-module-org-kde-kirigami2 cmake

It's acpi controlled. No devices that I can control. It does show the system fan at 1400rpm though. I just don't hear or feel it.

At 1400 RPM, your not going to hear it unless you put your ear next to the fan. If you don't hear it then either, the fan is probably not running.

Best way to confirm, is to open up your notebook computer, remove all the screws off the bottom.

You might need a pry tool, like a guitar pick to pop the clips on the bottom cover as well, be careful as you are doing this, so as not to damage the clips.

With the bottom cover off, it will expose the fan, with the computer running, the fan should be rotating.

If the fan is not rotating, see if you can get it to move by using a screwdriver to rotate the fan blade.

If the fan blade tries to move a little and then stops after your intervention, that means that the fan bearings are shot, therefor the fan is dead.

Only thing you can do with a fan in that condition, is to try and lubricant it with fan safe lubricant, but even then, its a stretch that you might be successful in reviving it.

Getting a replacement fan for your notebook shouldn't be too difficult. The cost of a new fan shouldn't be over 20 bucks I'd think, and you can always shop around for the best price.

1 Like