The Road to Zorin 16

This was immediately after a boot... I'm sure it was checking for updates (i say that with certainty because of the network activity shown in the bottom left of my desktop). She is a rather fast machine, with any os... but especially fast with zorin 16. Things tend to explode to life, with a flurry of activity in the resource monitor, then idle again.

It is a 32gb ram system, wish i could have gotten more, but for a gaming and development rig it works.

I went with the tuf a17 because it's a 17" laptop, 15 won't do anymore, and the ryzen 7 cpu. 8 core, 16 threads will get just about anything started...crysis 3 is gorgeous in it, though I'm not sure exactly what i was running at. 1080p 120hz i believe. Warframe looks great to... put my ps5 to shame, though that doesn't look too bad at 60hz... not quite the same experience though.

I chose to fork out the extra for matching nvme drives at 1tb a piece, and a 90Wh battery, which takes up the available third sata drive slot. I'm not sure it's pcie4, but even with 3 it still isn't going to bottleneck when communicating with the nvme's. I wanted the 980, but it still is too expensive and without certainty of pcie4, a wasted effort.

The 1660 fairs well enough for my purposes. I'm not into video like you are and don't need that kind of power. Besides, 4k and 8k are not easily distinguishable by the human eye, especially mine. Above 1080p it all looks very similar to me, maybe slightly sharper.

Alpha had a mix of the 5.4 and 5.8 kernel... though most of the 5.4 has been removed now, if not all. Most of the keyboard shortcuts work, all the hardware is recognized and usable. The fan is only controllable by the mb so windows has access but not Linux.

I'm not to concerned with the temperatures because it was also a warm afternoon, but i haven't seen them above 70c and above 95c is red line. I take the thing everywhere i can, but have a nice laptop cooler at the house. Without it the tuf does pretty well, it is a military grade case.

It may not be your msi, but the tuf would give her a run for her money.

The inxi command was run later, showing 59.2c cpu temp, with Firefox plugging away at a few searches i had going on, 5 tabs open, and android studio rebuilding a project i had in the background. That's not bad for not having a cooler going under her.

Is there an issue tracker for Zorin 16 beta so we can see the number of issues and what they are? Just trying to figure out if there is a way to see how development is progressing and what needs to be done to reach stable release.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am curious about the same. I really want to support this project but it is hard to me to fit in this kind of support. Previously I was Manjaro user for few years, and I was familiar with every step of development, bugs and news.

Also ,my thinking , why completely free distros have best support and ones with paying,donating , premium distros have lack of support, forum activity and developers activity ..hm

1 Like

Thx! I just discovered and installed this incredible collection of ScreenSavers to give some pizzazz to rather pathetic selection in Zorin v15.3 Lite. I am really enjoying the beautiful/iconic Xmatrix version.

It makes me look forward to taking a 15min break so I can watch it and imagine I am Neo! (Covid already makes sure I am in a dystopian world)

Has anyone experienced this?

suddenly appeared this morning.

The Zorin Group is working to develop and implement the Direct Upgrade option and what you are seeing in that notification is that option. Personally, I would not attempt that option until it says Zorin OS 16.something and after the Zorin Group confirms that the direct upgrade is in full working order.
But by the Zorin Group adding into the Focal Repository, and setting the updater Upgrade Option to "normal", the updater will see it.

Thanks for posting this, as it may be that the Zorin Group is not comfortably ready for that to appear. @azorin and @zorink would have to opine on that...

I am confused. why did this suddenly appear? is this right or wrong?

I am not really sure if it is intended to be visible in the Updater, yet. As to why it is appearing; It will appear in the Updater as long as the packages are available in the repository and the Upgrade Settings are set to "normal" instead of set to "never."

The ZorinGroup has not stated that the Direct Upgrade Option is ready for use, yet.

It appears that you may have altered the base repositories or modified a system configuration file to unofficially enable release upgrades. We would strongly recommended against performing this upgrade as it's likely to break the system.

We're planning to introduce an official direct upgrade patch from Zorin OS 15 to 16 a few months after the initial release of Zorin OS 16 this summer, after a thorough testing period has been completed.

2 Likes

thanks for the information. i have reinstalled zorin os and it's back to normal. the update does not appear.

Any news about next release?

That last anyone has heard, Zorin 16 Core final Release was set for end of June or Early July.

2 Likes

Hello:
That's right, Zorin Os 16 is expected to be available between June 30 and July 15, according to the information provided by the developers.
Regards

1 Like

Is there a newest news about Zorin 16?

Hello:
The latest information I have is that they are in the last stage: translation of the operating system. By virtue of what has happened in previous versions, we would be very close to the release of the stable version.
Regards

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ZorinOS/status/1407092287931359241 This might help.
Zorin OS translation - POEditor localization platform Link to translate Zorin OS

1 Like

Software / App update on Zorin 16 (beta) - hi all, I've noticed an "opportunity for improvement" in the experience of updating software from .deb packages in Zorin. I suspect this is the same issue for most Lunix versions, but I see Zorin as a far cut above all others, so here it is.

I use an app that's installed outside of the "Software" utility in Zorin, meaning that I don't install it by finding it in that Software app; rather, it's a downloadable .deb file that I then have to install. (for reference, it's Wappler). The app makes frequent incremental updates, and you can initiate an update from the app, or just download the newest .deb and install it that way.

Here's the opportunity for improvement :slightly_smiling_face: - I can double-click and launch that .deb installer from the GUI (great), and when I did that the first time on Zorin 16 (beta) it recognized I hadn't installed it before and had an INSTALL button, which I pushed, and it installed flawlessly (also great - added to menus, found in Super-key search, all that). However, with the incremental updates that I can download, either initiated from within the app (Wappler) or by double-clicking the update package file I download myself, the only thing Zorin wants to do is REMOVE the software. Here's a screen:

What would be great and intuitive is: give me a button to UPDATE or INSTALL, rather than just REMOVE. I suspect most apps (at least Wappler does) gracefully determine that it's a more recent version during install, and just upgrades.

So Zorin, please add the ability to INSTALL or RE-INSTALL or UPGRADE for .deb (or other) packages, so the experience is just that much better, seamless, intuitive, and easy for non-technical folks.

NOTE: the work-around for this is simple for the technically inclined - open Terminal, navigate to the folder where that .deb file lives, and type the following:

sudo dpkg -i [filename with .deb extension]

I can do that, others can do that, but many folks might break into a cold sweat having to launch and install from Terminal. Just sayin', let's help those folks have a comfortable experience installing or updating their non-Software-store apps, minus the jitters.

I believe gdebi-gtk offers the Reinstall (Which is to install the latest) button.
It used to come with Zorin OS (I think... at least I have never been without it) so I keep forgetting it does not come as default.
You can install it with

sudo apt install gdebi

and take it for a run.

Ah, okay - let me give that a try. For the Zorin feedback, I'll just say that I didn't install anything to launch that .deb file - I just double-clicked it. So if the gdebi-gtk package does that [better], maybe that should be the default?

Thanks as always @Aravisian