To all gamers - Fire risk if forget to shutdown properly

Today I lost the most important things in my pc.
Yesterday I played dota2 for 3 to 4 hr.
Then I got tired and sleep, forgot to shutdown PC. As usual the PC has sleep setting so. It go quiet. So doesn't even bother to shutdown, as usual everything gonna be fine I though.
When I wake up, I go to work, forgot to do shutdown again.
Then i get back to home, press the power button, suddenly i got very strange smell.
It's coming from system unit. I got goose bump. What is going on?? :scream: :scream: I run to the domain controller, turn off the whole electricity to our house. The room was full of fried plastic smell. Then I knew the pc has something wrong. I check it out. CPU fan is not working, gpu fan too. luckily i have onboard intel gpu. Unplugged everything and test it out. The motherboard is not very good. Cpu fan socket was burned (I knew bcoz i plugin to other socket after i brought new cpu fan), and gpu are burnt too (I saw sparks and the fan is not working anymore - pretty sure it's dead right?). Both are very expensive for me. Now I'm waiting amazon delivery with very regret.
I learned a lesson, and i just want to warned you. Don't forget to do proper shutdown. never forgot to shutdown your pc.

4 Likes

Sounds like issue with grounding. Don't cheap out on the PSU ever!

1 Like

Electronic this days is more poor and cheap. I remember days where old electronic working all time and modern is more trash.

Thread is not really a Tutorial, so have moved it to Hardware Support and editited the Title.

While materials have been substituted to make these devices cheaper, this sounds like a factory defect. They are made to a managed specification. Depending on the age you may be able to be reimbursed for your troubles.

It's a bit curious though... if the fans weren't working the bios should have shutdown the pc when the heat reached a certain threshold. Were your temp sensors installed?
This sounds more like a power surge, or overclocking/over-volting side-effect, than a meltdown.

While desktops are not servers, and far from meant to be on 24/7, this isn't something that would normally occur. All electronics must meet certain specifications to be certified. While such mishaps do occur, Quality Control does catch most issues.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.