Too much contrast on second display

I created color profiles in windows with Spyder X Elite for my both Displays. Now i added both profiles to my displays on zorin. On my main display (4K) connected with Display Port all is fine. But my second display (1080p) connected with HDMI looks like too much contrast. This was without adding color profile too.

Why this happens? In Windows contrast looks normal.

I have experienced minor differences in display when using one monitor connected via display port and another connected via HDMI. It can help to have matching connections.

What graphics are you using?

sudo lshw -C video

*-display                 
       Beschreibung: VGA compatible controller
       Produkt: NVIDIA Corporation
       Hersteller: NVIDIA Corporation
       Physische ID: 0
       Bus-Informationen: pci@0000:04:00.0
       Version: a1
       Breite: 64 bits
       Takt: 33MHz
       Fähigkeiten: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       Konfiguration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       Ressourcen: iomemory:fc0-fbf iomemory:fe0-fdf irq:56 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:fc00000000-fdffffffff memory:fe00000000-fe01ffffff ioport:e000(Größe=128) memory:fc000000-fc07ffff

My second display only has HDMI as the newest standard. Its an older one.

I have stuck with the Nvidia 525 driver since I had troubles with the 535. Which driver are you using and which Nvidia card?

Do you also have integrated graphics like Intel?

Installed: 525 proprietary

Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti

No other integrated grahics. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU

Same as me... and I also happen to be using one display port and one HDMI connection since the Nvidia card only comes with one HDMI port and three DP ports.
But I have not experienced this contrast difference.

Could it be because of the 4k TV being used? Have you checked the onboard settings of the 4k screen? Are you using fractional scaling?

The high contrast is not an issue on the 4K Display Port Screen. It is an issue on the 1080p HDMI Screen. When i boot into my Windows 11 the issue is not present. So its not a display onboard setting. I dont want to change the display onboard settings cause i dont want to mess up my calibrated monitor settings in windows 11.

For testing purposes, can you open Software & Updates and in the Additional Drivers tab, switch to the Nouveau open source Nvidia driver (You must reboot after the switch). Then test if the contrast is still present. This step is not intended as a solution, but a test.

Now it has completely destroyed my Zorin. After I installed the Nouveau open source X11 driver, I could only get into the system via Wayland. However, this did not solve the problem with the poor picture. Then I installed the 535 open nvidia driver (stable, tested) and now I can't even get into the login screen. I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. Nothing can be entered.

The easiest fix for this issue is to boot to the recovery menu:

Arrow key to Enable Networking and ensure networking is enabled.
Back up to the recovery menu and arrow key down to Root - Drop to Prompt
Tap enter

Run

sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

Then proceed to normal boot.

Once you reach the desktop, you may need to ensure you are on the 525 driver (Proprietary).

As an added measure, add the X-Swat teams driver updates and upgrade:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

This command worked:

But this not:
sudo ubuntu-drivers install

Get Error:
Temporary failure when resolving de.archive.ubuntu.com

Did you ensure that Network Was Enabled?

I could now boot into zorin again because the nvidia drivers were deleted. I have now reinstalled the nvidia proprietary driver (not the open one) and now everything works again. In any case, the display problem of my second screen has not been fixed.

This implies that you do have Integrated Graphics since without the Nvidia,you would have had no display...

No there was used the open source driver by deafult after removing the nvidia software components. from my mainboard there is no cable going out. Only 2 cables directly out of my graphic card

1 Like

Let me research this a bit. I do not believe we can do much with the Nvidia driver. The test of Nouveau was to determine how flexible the card is. Apparently, not at all. My own 3060 is also finicky, so I understand the feeling.
I doubt this is a hardware issue since the issue is not present on Windows OS. But it may be that the drivers supplied to Windows are more complete. What Nvidia is willing to supply to Linux can be meager...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.