Trouble running Only Office

I think I have Zorin 15,3 Core.

Did you download the .deb file?

Is it still in your ~/Downloads folder?

If so, you can double click it to open it in the Gdebi Installer. It will have two buttons on the upper right side- Reinstall or Remove.

I think OP has to install Gdebi first.
I do not remember it comes with Zorin.

sudo apt install gdebi

If OP lost the installer it is here:

1 Like

Ok, corrected version:

Did you download the .deb file?

Is it still in your ~/Downloads folder?

If so, you can double click it to open it in the Installer. It will have two buttons on the upper right side- Reinstall or Remove.

@Tom3746 Question: Do you specifically need Only Office or would Libre Office suffice?

I do have Libre and am running it. I just want to have a second similar app.

1 Like

I do have the file in a folder. I go thru the installation process but still can't get it to run. I may just have to bail on this app.

A few suggestions
Abiword for Word-processing.
Gnumerics for spreadsheet.

Both can be found in Software.

Gnumerics is app installer only.
But watch out for Abiword. Make sure to install app version, not Flatpak version.

Alternatively, you could open the terminal (ctrl + alt + T)
and issue the following commands:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install abiword gnumerics

1 Like

@FrenchPress et al, From experience, which spreadsheet app gives best (comparable quality) visual results for graphs/graphics compared to Excel?

My husband is using LibreOffice.
But I tend to go to the VM Windows Office for anything bit more complicated.

I just checked and found this interesting comparison site.

1 Like

Okay, I downloaded abiword and gnumeric and got them to work. Thanks for everyone's help.

2 Likes

That's right. The Flathub version of Gnumerics is messed up. For me It refuses to access any directory under Home except Documents, and the Help function launches a "manual" which crashes the whole system. the Apt version works fine. Zorin should get rid of the Flathub version or fix it.

From an accessibility point of view, Gnome office, Gnumeric and AbiWord do not work with Orca screenreader. There is a better suite than this, (but also does not work with Orca) FreeOffice:

Just before lockdown I had purchased the Pro version, SoftMaker Office 2018 (licenced for 5 machines - which could comprise of Windows, Macs, or GNU/Linux machines). My workflow was much better with this than with any version of M$ Office and the most compatible when I submitted to work for printing for students with low vision. No need for Styles in SoftMaker Office as I could create Templates - not possible on Windows networks as this gets disabled by IT Departments, particularly in Education establishments.
For a sighted person or low vision user with large fonts, the workflow is superior. I just used LibreOffice Writer for compression of images which TextMaker does not have, and if students needed 2pt spacing between letters, I used LibreOffice to create a simple text document, save it as a .docx file and opened it up in TextMaker - then analysed the spacing to see what percentage it was in TextMaker as it does not use points. The other great thing to use was Okular - I could extract text and paste into a TextMaker file that I had set for a set font size and it would convert beautifully - also Tables - in this regard it would default to something similar to 'Times New Roman' size 10 - however, all I needed to do in TextMaker was to highlight the Tables cells, press Ctrl+ spacebar and the font would be transformed in to the same one as the rest of the document. You can even delete Tables in TextMaker where in Word you can only cut! Only LibreOffice works fully with Orca screen reader.