UFW blocking traffic from the same network

I'm setting up a small webserver and everything works except that I can't access the server from my own network. If I try to access the server from the local ip address, everything works fine, but if I try to access it from my own network, using the public ip address, it won't load.
Is this UFW blocking the traffic? Am I missing something here? :smiley: It's been a very long while since the last time I ran servers.

1 Like

Nevermind. The damned ISP router is blocking the traffic and I can't do anything about it. Ugh.

1 Like

Does your router not have port forwarding?

Yeah it does... but the router is from the previous century :smiley: It's such a pain to deal with it. I really wanted to setup a reverse-proxy with a service like ngrok, pagekite, or localxpose to host the website but they don't seem to be viable options. I really hate having to deal with the router and the ISP but I'm stuck with no other choice. Optionally, I could use a hosting service but I don't know any trustworthy ones.

1 Like

Linux action News use Linode.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked them out.
I'm at a loss here. I really want to have control over my data and make sure other parties aren't snooping around in my files. As far as I know, the VPS companies almost always snoop around in the user files and also share them with Government agencies and whatnot... this is the case even in countries with great privacy laws.
Since these companies have direct access to the hardware running the servers, it is basically pointless to encrypt the data stored on them. They can decrypt it in no time.
On the other hand, my ISP is making my life hell trying to get a home server up and running. So I really feel like I'm out of options. Might have to bite the bullet and permanently use a reverse-proxy.

1 Like

Do you have to use the ISP provided router, or could you buy your own and connect it to your broadband?

I called them once about it. They don't allow it :V

Not good. :disappointed:

1 Like