UNRESOLVED - Unable to boot/install Zorin 16 USB (.iso)

hey! I'm new to this forum! I’m looking for help getting on with my installation of Zorin Pro. has installed the core version via USB without any problems (from windows), but.. this USB upgrade (to Zorin 16 Pro (.iso) installation does not seem to work. I'm stuck with this message at boot. I’ve tried both BalenaEtcher and Unetbootin. suggestion would be grateful! Zorin 16 looks great btw

! (sorry for my bad english (swedish as native) thanks!

That message means it is a Bad USB. Something has broken in the hardware code of the USB.
I would suggest

• trying a different USB
  • Not using the LiveUSB on a USB Docking Hub, but directly inserted into a Computer (3.0 if available) USB port
2 Likes

ok, weird! it is a brand new usb. (has also tried to boot (again, just to see/compare) on (the one that worked well from the beginning - Zorin 16 core) but gets the same wrong message). thanks for quick reply!

Age is not really the thing that matters as much as Formatting of the USB. I can only tell you what that message means. But, like many, I have bought a product that was bad off the shelf, before.
But completely wiping the USB and reformatting it nay help you.

2 Likes

ok! something to do with the fact that my motherboard (bios) is older (6-7 years)? thinking it should be backwards compatible using USB3..but..hm! thank you! will try your suggestion formatting and test a new USB.

2 Likes

Possibly. Really... 6 years old is not that old.
But it may be a bad port instead of a bad USB. 3.0 if available, but that is not required.

1 Like

thanks again! now I know what the message means. I’ll try again! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Aravisian brings up a good point. Sometimes even a port can go bad, so please try another USB port if you have one available. Additionally, the formatting of the USB stick does actually matter a lot.

To prepare USB drives for my ISO flashing pleasure, I usually format them GPT, and create a EXT4 partition. I then burn the ISO to them using Popsicle when on Linux. For Windows users we recommend Rufus or Unetbootin.

Then I boot off the installer and go. Hopefully your drive is indeed OK. The possibility of buying a brand new drive that is defective does not sound good, especially during a tech shortage.

1 Like

Interesting! I have another USB stick ready, will look at this later and return with results.

1 Like

Say no more!

1 Like

Yep, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But if you want mine? I hate Balena Etcher, and I DO NOT recommend it to any user ever.

1 Like

update..have now tested 3 different usb’s with the same result, stuck at boot (see OP) - thus I exclude that there are 3 broken sticks we are talking about at this point. has used unetbootin on the last two, and checked the usb settings in bios but nothing gets wiser. (the sticks are usb3 and bios supports usb2. (old asus motherboard) strange thing! the previous .iso live usb i made (and have installed atm) - Zorin 16 Core worked just fine! more tips appreciated!

1 Like

I agree.
Have you tried different ports?
This is puzzling. You point out already that you checked BIOS (Might double check and look for other settings that are less obvious - Do A Net Search for your computer Model, don't guess) and tried different burners.

1 Like

Could be Caused by the .iso file it's self. my System is refusing to boot it. I'm going to attempt another OS to test if it's the .iso test

1 Like

I’ve just tested it out and concluded it’s from the ISO

I plugged in 2 USBs, one with Xubuntu and one with Zorin OS, the one with Zorin didn’t appear and the one with Xubuntu. Probably is an issue needed to be addressed by the Zorin brothers

1 Like

These photo's require rotation, I am too tired to rotate my head. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Check hash of the fine

yes! I’ve tried differents all the ports. funny thing is now that I get to this point (then selecting ”Try or install Zorin OS” and gets stuck. (OP message)

(whats up with the nouveau line btw? i have a nvidia geforce gt240. i know that’s not a optimal videocard, but that’s what i have to deal with atm)

We've had three users in the last day or so have similar issues; you are one and @Derek , @782458 are the other two.
User 782458 discovered that the disk was not formatted to GPT causing it to not see partitions:

Derek found that the r1 revision of Zorin OS was not working on EFI detection, but the Original Zorin OS 16 core download is:

You might try the Original (not -r1) version and see if you have the same luck as Derek.

3 Likes

thanks! great idea! :+1:t3:

2 Likes