Unable to enable Wayland

I've been unable to enable Wayland for Zorin Core 15.3. I checked /etc/gdm3/custom.conf and WaylandEnable=false is commented. In the log in screen there is no settings icon to enable Wayland. I have bad screen tearing and overall the UI is a bit slow, so I'm hoping Wayland will help. Currently running x11.
Also noticed that for some reason there are no animations even though I have animations enabled.

Computer specs are:
Ryzen 5 4500u

16gb of RAM

AMD integrated graphics

Are you able to access wayland by clicking the Gear Icon at the Login Screen prior to entering your password?

As I said in the original post, "In the log in screen there is no settings icon to enable Wayland."

Check your kernel mode setting. If it is running GDM3 prior to running KMS, then Wayland will not appear in Login.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/kernel_mode_setting

How can I check? The wiki page is not very clear to me, sorry

First can you run this in terminal and see whether KMS is enabled on your machine?

dmesg | grep drm

If you do not see KMS listed, then it is not enabled.
If it is not:

sudo nano /etc/gdm3/custom.conf

Remove the Comment from WaylandEnable=false and then change it to say
WaylandEnable=true
Hit ctrl+x to exit, then hit the y key to say yes to save, then hit the enter key to save as current configuration.
The terminal will revert to normal, then run:

sudo systemctl restart gdm3

Or reboot to test

I got

[ 1.289440] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
[ 1.289609] [drm] This hardware requires experimental hardware support.

Are you using the generic kernel or HWE (HardWare Enabled kernel)?

uname -a

You may need to install the mainline HWE or DRM kernel. Before trying that, I would suggest trying the /etc/gdm3/custom.conf edit above, anyway. If you have not tried that yet, I would still consider it a reasonable chance of working.

Otherwise, you can install the MainLine Kernels you need through Synaptic Package Manager to make it easier:

sudo apt install synaptic

Or
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-upgrading-the-ubuntu-linux-kernel/

I am sorry about the links- I am majorly multi-tasking at the moment and trying to reply to posts quickly.

Here is what I got from the uname command

Linux IdeaPad-Flex-5-14ARE05 5.4.0-73-generic #82~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 15:10:02 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I will try the edit and then come back to you.

Ah, Lenovo Ideapad... Lenovo "pad"s are notoriously finicky on Linux these days. They did not used to be...

It's run every other Linux fairly well. Anyway, no change.

Then at this point, I can only suggest you either try Reinstalling Zorin OS or check the Mainline kernel.

Zorin OS should come with the HWE Kernel... It is built off of Ubuntu as a base just like Mint and many other distros. So if "every other Linux" runs well, I would suspect a corruption occurred during the OS installation. If this is a fresh install, then a reinstall may be painless.

Luckily I just installed it today and have mostly nothing installed yet so... I'll update you in a bit.

1 Like

And back. Did not see the gear icon on login. Currently doing updates.

Hmmm... is this Zorin OS LITE that you are installing?

Nope, Core 15.3. Just finished updates and there are no changes.

And... you ARE clicking the Gear Icon, right?

In the log in screen? There is no gear icon to click.

This is an Ubuntu screen as I cannot easily find a Zorin one- but the GDM3 layout is the same:

Yeah, it's not there.