Unable to hide ACPI error on boot using "Quiet splash" in Zorin OS (Intel Macbook)

I recently installed Zorin OS on my Intel Macbook Air. The OS itself is great. but there were some ACPI error at booting screen. So I followed the instruction in the following reddit post: Reddit - Dive into anything

At first it was working fine, but then there was a thick line that started appearing in every boot (Images attached for reference).

It appears twice before i get to the login page (same number if times the ACPI errors showed up). Can anyone help me hide these errors. This is how my current "/etc/default/grub" file looks like:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=\lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian``

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash loglevel=0"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="loglevel=3"

These are in conflict with each other. Also, your grub timeout is set to 0 seconds. I highly recommend against this. I will suggest a short 3 seconds here. Please mimic the following parameters:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash loglevel=3"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Once you have made your changes, be sure to run

sudo update-grub

for them to take effect.

1 Like

I would go two seconds more than 3 as it is a journaling system in use.

2 Likes

You want me to make it "GRUB_TIMEOUT=5" seconds? @swarfendor437

Didn't work.

Yeah, it probably did not make the graphical glitch go away - but now your Grub File is correct. :smiley:
I agree that 5 is even better than 3.

For your graphical:
Can you please relay the terminal output for:

sudo lshw -C video

Output:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 6000
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:71 memory:c0000000-c0ffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

Did you previously have the nomodeset in your grub parameters prior to trying the loglevel change?
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset loglevel=3"

1 Like

I don't think so. Should I try?

It is worth trying since you are getting so much practice with editing grub, today...:stuck_out_tongue:
If it doesn't help, you can easily revert it back (Just do not forget to run sudo update-grub every time you make a change to the grub file).

You might also try unplugging and reseating the cable if it is an external monitor.

2 Likes

It looks like issue is resolved for now. However the boot time has increased. Probably due to the "GRUB_TIMEOUT=5". Thank you.

Also can you explain what nomodeset does and if it would have any negative effects on system after boot?

Not sure if this would be any useful info to you - my old MacBook had to have GRUB_TERMINAL=console and then I could use grub. If I didn't have that line it would still boot - but look really weird before loading the kernel.. Nothing would happen if I hit Esc on boot either while loading grub until I added that line.

3 Likes

Yes, it has increased by 5 seconds, at least.:wink:

No, it will not negatively affect your desktop.
The nomodeset parameter deals with modesetting. The Short Answer is that when drivers load can have a profound impact during initialization - such as if the Graphics drivers load before their dependencies do, then the graphics can glitch out. This is because the drivers are running on half of their thrusters.
Modesetting will load the generic and essential drivers first and early during init, allowing the specific drivers time for everything to load before they are initialized.

Ok thank you @Aravisian @PlumpKibbles @swarfendor437 for your time :smiley:

2 Likes

Update: It looks like nomodeset is causing some issues. I am unable to adjust my brightness and enable night light after adding it to the grub file. Also suspend is not working after closing laptop lid and it doesn't comeback from suspend if I press any key. Is there a fix for that?

You might try adding the grub parameter:
acpi_backlight=vendor

The line will now look like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor loglevel=3"

Wouldn't it be nice if Manufacturers kept their ACPI tables clean and complete so us users would not have to tweak them if we dare install a different piece of software than they intended?

If you are using Suspend or Hibernate, did you create a separate swap partition?

I didn't create any separate swap partitions. Also what does quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor loglevel=3 do?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor loglevel=3"

Didn't work

The acpi_backlight=vendor parameter asserts the Vendor drivers as first priority rather than the generic drivers. The nomodeset paramater may have affected this by allowing the generic backlight drivers to load first.

The hibernate function really needs swap to be on a separate partition. This is to allow that swap can be accessed, even if the root partition is not initialized.

Did you sudo update-grub?

yes i used "sudo update-grub"