Understanding how Zorin(Linux) handles dedicated Graphics cards

Ah, I see. You should be able to disable nvidia at boot up with nouveau. modeset=0 grub parameter.
If you are able to boot and run on the Intel Graphics, you can remove the Nvidia Graphics drivers entirely to prevent the Nvidia GPU from turning on for high graphics usage.
I would highly recommend that you install lm-sensors

sudo apt install lm-sensors

or psensor

sudo apt install psensor

and actively monitor your machine Temps. It may not be cooling properly and overheating can shut it down.

Zorin 16 Lite is not due for release soon, so you may opt for Zorin OS 15.3 Lite which will be supported until April 2023.
Zorin OS Lite does not come with Zorin Connect because Zorin Connect is based on GSConnect - a Gnome Shell Extension. However... GSConnect is based on kde connect -utterly not-Gnome, and KDE connect works on Zorin OS Lite just fine. It is what I use.
As I am able to use both ZorinConnect and KDEConnect, I can tell you that they are nearly identical in appearance and functionality.

sudo apt install kdeconnect

You may need to allow the ports access if you are using the firewall:

sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/tcp

sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/udp

1 Like

Thank you so much. A cursory glance at this forum shows how helpful you are to so many people, its refreshing coming from other forums (linuxmint) which have not been as beginner friendly.

Last question until I get this process underway..How do I learn more about computers in general(like what is grub?) And linux in particular?

1 Like

By doing.

I migrated from MS Windows to Linux due to a hardware issue- My HDD went out. I bought a blank replacement and happened to have a Zorin OS disk someone had given me back in 2019. So, I really had little choice at the time but to just dive in. It was a struggle, at first. I might compare it to growing up learning how to drive in an Automatic Transmission push button start Smart Car, then switching to a 6 speed Manual Transmission Corvette Powerhouse. It's scary, at first. Then the power at your control takes over your mind and you get hungry for more.
In the beginning I made certain mistakes and had to wipe and reload a few times. The Biggest Problem was always Outdated guides on the internet telling me to install things that are no longer maintained - to add repositories that no longer exist- causing a lot of frustration and breakage.
While searching the net on your solutions is a fine thing - Always Check The Date. And please feel free to use this forum for its intended purpose to save yourself a headache.
There is no pamphlet you can read for twenty minutes and then hop onto Linux and take off running. The best way is to dive in and let your mind learn each aspect a step at a time at its own pace. Linux is the easy part - getting back into the School Mindset to learn is the hard part.

2 Likes

Marked solution. 41

Bumblebee may provide the answer to this Optimus conundrum:
https://sportsclinictampico.com/planning/how-to-make-nvidia-s-optimus-work-on-linux/