Uninstalling Zorin Lite

What is the terminal command to uninstall Zorin Lite with out screwing something up ..... I really don't need it as I'm running Zorin Pro

Thanks

You mean the Lite Desktop? That would be:

sudo apt purge zorin-os-lite-desktop

1 Like

Thanks I'll give that a try .....

Hummmmm ..... that didn't work as Zorin Lite OS is still there ......

Any other suggestions ..... anybody ????????

If you were using XFCE desktop on Zorin OS core, it is most likely that you installed with

sudo apt install xfce4

rather than

sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

Running the reverse is true:

sudo apt remove xfce4

1 Like

What I have is a thumb drive called Zorin 16 Lite Install ...... so I think I installed the Lite OS along with Zorin 16 Pro .....

I want to delete the Lite OS so that when I try to install 17 Pro it will be easier to use the updater by having less files etc to deal with .....

Are they installed on separate partitions?

1 Like

To be honest I don't really know let me take a look on Gparted .....

As I dual boot here is my Win 10 disk .....

And my Zorin disk .....

I may have made that thumb drive for installing on something else ...... is it possible to install Zorin Lite by way of the terminal ..... if it is that is probably the way I installed it ......

In the drop down menu on the sign in page I have Zorin Lite OS as a choice to open along with Gnome ..... Cinnamon ..... Wayland and a few more .... if I choose the Zorin Lite I get a different desktop (XFCE) and different but not so many programs and apps ..... also if I use neofetch I show Zorin 16.3 with XFCE as desktop .....

This is why I wish there was a way to tell which version of Zorin you are using Regular ... Pro ... Lite .... Education etc. ...... would that be hard to do so you can tell which flavor you have ....

That would be

sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

Removable with

sudo apt remove --purge zorin-os-lite-desktop

If you install software on Zorin OS, the vast majority will be independent of the Desktop environment. Only those that deal with the desktop are likely to not show up on a different D.E. For example, Cinnamon settings is set to only show on Cinnamon Desktop, not Gnome or XFCE.

1 Like

I'm on Lite right now after I tried to remove it using Synaptic Manager but apparently it didn't work so I'm going to try ...... so I'm going to try your suggestion quoited above ..... let you know after I have restarted my laptop .....

By the way thanks for your help I know you guys are very busy ..... if this doesn't work I'm going to try the updater again anyway and see what happens ....

1 Like

Thank you sir that did the trick .... Zorin Lite is no longer a choice in the drop down menu .... and that terminal command deleted a lot of items .....

Now hopefully my updater to 17 Pro will work this time ..... keeping fingers crossed .....

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.