Unknown shortcut in devices [Check attachment]

That "USB-hp....." is basically idk, reminiscent(not a pun) of my pendrive, which is essentially the "memories", already mounted. I don't know how to remove it, it looks ugly

I don't understand what it's trying to say, I have it mounted already :thinking:

Here's my mounts if someone needs it :slight_smile:

One more question, I have mounted "/dev/sdb2" in a different location(in /mnt), but it's showing that it's mounted in "/media/ary*an/Main", kinda weird! (my name is censored :rofl:)

Here it is, I am a really new user of zorin, thanks to any volunteers helping
I really like this new OS, it's arguably one of the hottest linux distros :grin:

Hi, so if I understood correctly: both devices listed in your first screenshot ("memories" and "HP_USB_FLASH...") are the same physical device? Or are they different partitions on the same device? Can you open Disks and share a screenshot of that device?

Yeah, they are the same device essentially!

Here it is!

Also, I changed quite a few things, so I think some folder is remaining, wait, lemme share the mount folder

here it is, sdc1 is the flash drive, I think that folder is useless, but I am hesitant to delete it

Sorry to overwhelm you with information, I am noob :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I don't know why it's showing it like that. Can you also post the output of lsblk -f?

Sure, here's the output

NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                         
├─sda1
│    vfat   FAT32       F3DA-241A                               181M     3% /boot/efi
└─sda2
     ext4   1.0         7f7d322b-c27a-47ab-8e38-2516787398d7  184.1G    11% /
sdb                                                                         
├─sdb1
│    ext4   1.0   Messed
│                       10c2232a-7c59-49e6-8794-e57568c38156  282.3G     2% /mnt/sdb1
└─sdb2
     ext4   1.0   Main  08fb2536-87ed-4963-b9b6-64ede724c028    1.4T     3% /mnt/sdb2
sdc                                                                         
└─sdc1
     exfat  1.0   Memories
                        D460-2B86                              74.4G    37% /mnt/sdc1
sdd                                                                         
└─sdd1
     ntfs         Backup 1
                        3C8848408847F744                        5.1G    82% /mnt/sdd1
sr0                                                                         

Ok, so it's definitely a single partition on that drive :thinking: I wonder if it's because it appears as "bootable" in Disks that its showing twice like that.

You can try to simply re-format it and see if that makes it go away. Formatting a drive will basically erase all the data within the drive, so make sure to make backups before you attempt this.

From Disks, select the drive and unmount the partitions by clicking on the square button. Then click on the three dots at the top of the window and Format Disk. For the first option, quick method will do but for the second one you have a few choices, depending on how you plan to use this drive.

1. For maximum compatibility with older systems choose MBR / DOS. This is how it's currently formatted so I would assume this is probably what you want.

2. For better performance with modern systems choose GPT.

The third option (no partitions) can be replicated with a single partition taking up the entire space available. This can also allow you to resize it as needed in the future, so it's best not to use it unless you have a good reason for it.

Once it's done click on the + icon to create a new partition. Leave it with the defaults to use all the available space. Click Next, and enter a LABEL such as "Memories" to keep things as they are right now. No need to erase the contents either.
Next you have to choose a file system, depending again on how you plan to use this drive:

1. EXT4 is the native format used by Zorin OS. Pick this only if you only plan on using the drive with machines running Linux.

2. NTFS is Windows' native format. Since Linux can read this format normally, it's the best for compatibility with both operating systems, it's the best option if you have computers running Linux and Windows, and want to use this drive transparently. I think MacOS also reads this format?

3. FAT is used an older format but has the better compatibility. Also used in boot devices; this is currently formatted as exFAT. If you plan on using this drive only for files then, and don't need the best compatibility, it's probably best to use one of the other two.

If you are not sure, I would pick NTFS as it's probably good enough for most use cases these days. If not, since you are going to make a backup of your data, you can format it again and use another file system later.

Did I say that you need to back up the data before doing this?

1 Like

Thanks, I'll try this for sure