Unusual Message on Start-up Screen

First time I have encountered this message it came between the splash and login screens ..... no idea what it means but I did manage to see that I needed to use my ID and then password to go further .....

I couldn't figure out what to do next so I did a hard shut down and restarted ..... this time it restarted normally ....

af8cdc61195a6f9e1a240d6416ec90db54f6532b_2_690x386

Hummmm .... may have figured it out or at least part of it ..... it updated me to Zorin 16.2 Pro from 16.2 ..... well at least that is my theory ..... :sunglasses:

It means when the upgrade checker script checked l it got an invalid response so on reboot the script couldn't run and errored. I think the responses are End of Life, Upgrade Broken, New Upgrade Found, No Upgrade

you can look at it its in /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/

1 Like

Interesting .... thanks ..... yesterday I had this according to neofetch .....

And today I have this ......

Does this mean it really didn't upgrade or did it just upgrade when I shut down and restarted .... because there was no messages this time ..... and more important should I be concerned ????? ....

Looks like the upgrade started and maybe rolled back? :thinking: Went from kernel 5.15 to 5.11, would explain an invalid response on the script as well and the odd reboot

1 Like

Thank you sir .... I'll keep an eye on it and see if I have any problems .... if I do I'll post back here .... all this stuff is WAY above my pay grade :+1: :grinning:

1 Like

That is odd. I've not seen a kernel roll itself backward before...

1 Like

Looks like maybe the upgrade started, and something happened and rolled back, my guess is the reboot during an update / upgrade failed and it rolled back to the last known 'good' kernel after a boot failure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.