Updated Zorin 16 Base, External Monitor No Longer Detected

I did learn years ago with mint 17.x, after that i returned to windows 10 because of the games i played.

Since i used mint i was always like...someday linux will be my os to run. Because it can be heavy customized and respects the privacy of its users.

I tried elemantory os in 2016, didnt like it.

A month ago i saw good reviews about zorin os 16, decided to give it a chance and pfffff i felt in love with it. In the days i tested linux mint 17 i tried zorin as well, but i had alot issues with it 8 years ago. Now its super stable and i didnt encouter the freezing issues i had back then with mint 17.x and zorin.

1 Like

So as my daughter-in-law :slight_smile:
She could not stand it so I had to replace it with Peppermint OS for her old netbook. It seems either one likes Elementary or dislikes it ...nothing in-between.

Anyway, you sound as proficient as myself if not more in Linux.

1 Like

The weird thing is, i always keep comming back to (or thinking about) linux because i want to learn how things works and i want to get rid of windows :sunglasses:. The only thing why i still have windows in dual boot is because i need to sort out how i get some games to work under linux.

Since i got a daughter (baby) 1 month ago i dont even have time to game, i keep booting in zorin anyway haha.

1 Like

Ah, proud happy father :baby:

Linux is a great OS to experiment with.
One great advantage is that we can install/uninstall/reinstall it as many times as we want without bothering with activation with M$.

1 Like

That's correct :slight_smile:

Anyway here is a screenshot from my kernel and nvidia driver. No issues here with the kernel and very stable.

https://imgur.com/2fSmiQj.png

1 Like

Thanks for this additional info!

Kernels and Nvidia (and AMD too) can be pretty hit and miss. Some people have no issues - Some do.

You think the actual model of GPUs makes a difference?

It definitely could.

1 Like

So at the moment the best advice is to roll back to -27 kernel, I suppose.

I think if a user is not having any trouble then they can use either- but for those who are, then rolling back the kernel may resolve.

1 Like

If my computer black screens at boot, my policy is to revert back on the kernel, because there is no other way short of a re-installation, which is pointless if you can just revert back.

Hey all - long-time Linux and Ubuntu user, second-day Zorin OS user here. Just wanted to report that my install of Zorin OS 16 Base is also not detecting my external monitor (HDMI) with an Nvidia card on kernel version 5.11.0-38-generic.

Before I start hacking everything apart, has anyone found any further solutions to this in the meantime?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey all, managed to fix the issue. Seems like disabling secure boot in the BIOS was enough to get things working. Not sure which Kernel I was using, but this was working fine with secure boot on Ubuntu 21.10 on the same machine yesterday, so there's something either specific to the 20.04 package versions or possibly to the driver configuration on Zorin 16 that's prohibited by secure boot.

Also, as a note, I also installed the updated Nvidia 470 drivers from the nvidia PPA but I don't believe that contributed to the fix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.