Upgrade from zorin 15 to 16 (ultimate)

Marked solution. 1

hello. any update on this topic?

Also looking for an update on this "Discount and process" Thank You

While a fresh install may not be the ideal path, there are options to ease the transition process. You may want to take a look at a method posted in the Tutorials category, how-to-easily-reinstall-programs-when-reinstalling-zorin. This has saved me from having to download and reconfigure all my applications (since I also run /home on a separate partition...though can be accomplished by a backup).

Anyone that is looking for an easy way to avoid the hassle of remembering all the installed applications, their configurations (including terminal apps) will benefit from Aravisian's how-to-easily-reinstall-programs-when-reinstalling-zorin.

Please remember, while Ubuntu and other distro's offer direct upgrades, they also have teams of developer's working on removing bugs and getting it to work. This is a lot for two people to tackle. They said they will be working on it, and I can assure you they do what they say...being two people doing what several teams have will take some time. Please remember this and be patient. The Zorin's may not answer much, but they show that they listen by providing features and changes that is requested (both directly and but mentioned in the forum).

thank you. I will take a look at that. but since I have the ultimate version, I would like to upgrade to the ultimate version, so I would like to know how to deal with the purchase of ultimate 16. if I get a small discount would be nice, if not then it's not such a big deal. but would be nice to know

I am unsure whether discounts are being provided. As for the versions in relation to 16, Ultimate no longer exists. They moved to a Professional (Core and Lite) version instead, focused on business, Core, Gnome desktop recommending at least 8GB RAM (and free), Lite, XFCE desktop recommending at least 4GB of RAM for older hardware or limited hardware (and free), as well as the Education version.

Layouts, bundled software, developer installation support and supporting the devs is the only difference between free versions and Pro. They are looking into this feature, it has been requested by many. When it will be released is at their discretion. As I have stated, there are two developers that are working on this. There is no telling how many teams of people canonical, Ubuntu, Fedora, Pop and other distros had working on that without any other projects to hamper their progress. Zorin, having onlly two developers, who are constantly updating our current version, maintaining the last version, planning the next version and looking into direct upgrades (as well as maintaining and updating the forum and website) have much on their plate. This should be kept in mind when asking and considering their response time as well as whether there is news on this feature. It may be some time before we see this yet.

As of right now, your best bet is to contact them directly either through the contact us link on the about page of their site or responding to the email of your Ultimate version of the OS. They will be the only ones who can provide an answer to a possible time frame and any possible discounts for upgrading. Please keep the above in mind when awaiting their response.

1 Like

Hello the problem is I think to receive the paymant for the new version when there is a upgrade point in Zorinos 15
I think it is easy to realize. in the upgrade function you make a field input for the new Serial number, that the the user [personal information removed] when he selled the upgrade.
using this youe can also make same when there comes upgrades later also like zorinos 17.
do ist as soon as possible, you get more upgrade fans, because to install the programs new it is not fine for a user. Also i am working further with 15.3 and have only installed 16 additonal in a another virtual machine for looking inside and help other customers having installed Version 16 new..

2 Likes

Any progress on that matter. I just bought Zorin 16 Pro coming from 15 Ultimate ... but I'm really hesitant to do a fresh install. There are so many things I have installed (not only with apt, but AppImages, snapcraft, brew and probably more I forgot) and tweaked to make it a perfect development machine, that I'm fearing the downtime (of a few days probably) and all the work necessary to make it usable again ...