Upgrade in future and Ubuntu programs?

Hi, I'm looking at Zorin Core or lite for my next OS on my Lenovo ThinkPad X300.

Right now I'm running Peach OSI TW 16.04 LTS ESM based on Xubuntu.

The author died last september, so no new versions will be made.

I read an article about Zorin 16, where it was said that in this version a new Upgrade tool is introduced which should make so its no longer needed to make clean install.

I'm extremely tired of having to wipe my SSD and start over with a new version, so I will like to get something clarified:

1. If I go with Zorin Core 16 XFCE, will I be able to Upgrade that to a newer version when such is released and will all my customizations and settings be kept intact?

2. I use a special program for control of my fan speed, TPfanco. Would I able to use this in Zorin, as I can in Xubuntu?

3. Are there any issues with:
    Intel GMA X3100 graphic card?
    ALPS Touchpad?

4. I like dark theme, and have configured my own setup, would that also be possible in Zorin or do I need to stick to the standard themes available for Core or Lite?

5. I use a lot of programs in Xubuntu, some GTK+ like avidemux, Thunderbird, Firefox, Audacity, and so on. Will I still be able use Ubuntu programs?

6. How about Windows programs, is Zorin fully capable of running those or are there still glitches? I have some Phone tools I need sometimes, that will not run in linux or can't see. the usb port, like uberizer and phone flash software. Will I be able to use those in Zorin?

Thank you in advance

Jan

1 Like

Zorin OS with XFCE is Zorin OS Lite. Currently, Zorin OS 16 Lite is in development, following the Release of Zorin OS 16 Core (Gnome) and Zorin OS 16 Pro.
It may be a couple months, yet.
Once that is done, then further development on the Direct Upgrade option you are asking about will continue. Direct Upgrade is in development and not yet released.
Once it is released, you will be able to Directly Upgrade without needing to reinstall from Zorin OS to the next Release of Zorin OS.
You can not upgrade (after release of the Direct Upgrade) from Peach OS to Zorin OS - this will require a fresh install of Zorin OS, first.

Upgrading to the next release will make any upgraded software subject to the releases dependencies. As long as there is a Focal Release for the software you are using (On Zorin OS 16), then yes, software, configurations, etc. will be kept intact.
But software that works on your system that is not supported in Focal or above may no longer work:

And this may be an example of that. Tpfanco's last update was in 2014. The latest repository it's in is Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin.
I can look the pacakge over and see if it can be modified to work on Zorin OS 16... But ultimately, you may need an alternative to tpfanco.

ALPS may work but I am unsure of your graphics card. It dates from 2007... The best way to know is to make a LiveCD or LiveUSB of Zorin OS 15.3 Lite (Currently available) and test the operation on the Demo Disk (Try Zorin) and see how it performs.

If your theme is pre-gtk3.20, it will not work properly on Zorin OS 15 or 16.
If the theme is an XFCE 4.12 or earlier theme, it will not work properly on Zorin OS 15 or 16.
However... I may be able to help you to get it configured...

All of those are still maintained and available in Zorin OS 15 and 16.

Wine (Windows application compatibility layer) is available in the Zorin repository or can be installed independently. It is not maintained by the ZorinGroup and the only way to know if certain applications run well in Wine is to test them on a working installation.

Given your computers specs... I do have some concerns. You are wise to ask these questions. IF you opt to install Zorin OS lite 15 (Or in an adventurous spirit, try Zorin OS 16 Lite when released*) I would highly recommend using the 5.4 kernel or earlier and Locking It In.

How would I use the 5.4 kernel, is that the one Zorin lite ships with or?

I believe these are in the repos:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.4.0-81-generic linux-modules-5.4.0-81-generic linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-81-generic linux-image-5.4.0-81-generic

I'm having a bit of problem here, the download of 15.3 Lite went to 99% and then stopped, most likely because of the isp is so unstable here. Is there an .torrent for the 64bit xfce 15.3 Lite edition?

EDIT: I will answer that myself, yes there is an unofficial torrent but it is so poorly seeded that it would take 3 days to download. So I just have to download Zorin ISO in the middle of the night when other people is sleeping.

Well, your screename is Insomniac.:wink:

During heavy load, the servers can slow down. Usually I suggest downloaders wait about 15 or 20 minutes, then try again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.