Upgrade-Path

Any news about the Upgrade-Path?

No there isn't and there is no point in creating new threads on this when there are already so many.

When there is a path, you can be assured it will be announced. It will most likely come closer to when 17 is released since it's purpose will be to upgrade to 17 from 16. So therefore even if they were to announce tomorrow it would be of no use, since 17 is not coming for quite some time.

It will big diffrents? Z16 vs Z17?

We don't know what the devs have planned or even if they started. Figure at least another year before we hear. 16 hasn't been out long.

As far as updates.... give it time. Two people, not a building of teams with endless funds... this is a difficult undertaking and one that could take a year or two to get right (good knows what groups of people and time it took other distros to get it right). Be supportive and patient. They said they'd look into it.

Real life and writing a code it take some time.
I saw some ubuntu distribution moved to debian and I saw steam deck going to arch.
I reading yesterday ubuntu fixed 8 security problems

Besides for me if Zorin 16 is to 2025 then i can wait or trying another distribution.
Linux is Linux only with diffrents fork or packages.
Another side this is good choice people can trying another distribution if they liked but if not can always trying a new version Zorin.

Some users of Z15, (myself included) thought the "upgrade-path" facility would be available from the devs in the lifetime of Z16, so that they could take advantage of that instead of installing Z16 and reinstalling apps afresh. I suppose as Z16 is still current, so that is still possible :thinking:

I am still on Z15.3 Core, which (touch wood) remains solid through OS and software updates. A stable reliable OS on my old laptop, is more important to me than new bells and whistles. If no "upgrade-path", then I am likely to skip Z16 and wait for Z17 as my next fresh ZorinOS install.

1 Like

Yes. I also for older a compouters a prefer thick operating system without many fireworks. Thick, light. I remember operating system long time ago was ๐——๐—ฆ๐—Ÿ - ๐——๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ป ๐—ฆ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐—Ÿ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜‚๐˜… 50 mb and Tiny Core Linux 16mb very small distribution.
Puppy i remember also slackware also. I know brothers talking to arm Zorin. Then I don't rush. I just taken a observation how it everything working.

From what I understand the upgrade path is for 16 to 17 not 15. I may be wrong, but if I am right the upgrade path isn't going to be of any use for those still on 15.

In future Zorin sayed it will update from 16 to 17 without new installation Zorin in next release.

@Bourne Have the Zorin Team said it?

Yes i asked them.

1 Like

@Bourne is only available for Zorin OS Pro Lite?

No, the Direct Upgrade should apply to any Zorin OS Version.

As far as I can see, the note from Zorin Team is about upgrading from Zorin 16 Lite to Zorin 16 Pro Lite (no mention of Zorin 17).

ian, you are looking at the evidence in front of you. I respect that.
However, part of my participation on this forum means that I am exposed to this topic a lot - and therefor aware of other comments made by the ZorinGroup here and on other media like Twitter. They have addressed this question in interviews as well - and have stated it is their High Priority Item.
The ZorinGroup have addressed this quite a bit:

As readers can see, the ZorinGroup have directly stated that they hope to release a Direct Upgrade path without need for Reinstall in the period between the release of Zorin OS 16 and the release of Zorin OS 17.
This includes Zorin Pro, as well as all editions of Zorin OS. So it includes Core, Lite, Education...

On the Main Zorin OS page, this is also covered:

In the meantime, we recommend that you use Zorin OS 16, which will be supported with software updates and security patches until April 2025. You will also be able to directly upgrade from Zorin OS 16 to 17 shortly after its release.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.