Upgrading hplip in Zorin OS for Scanner

Yeah, my main concern is a newer version of hplip. The current version is 3.17, but I need 3.18 or higher for my scanner to work. I think 20.04 comes with 3.20.

Would this help in the meantime?

Thanks, @Aravisian. I have tried this, but unfortunately, the installer does not recognize Zorin as a supported OS so the dependencies do not get installed automatically. As a result, I wound up going down a dependency rabbit hole and eventually gave up.

2 Likes

I am pretty wrapped up at the moment and don’t want to divide my attention, but later this evening, let me try a quick rabbit hunt and see if a solution can be found.

Sounds good.

You should be able to install the required dependencies by opening the Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and entering this command:
sudo apt install python-dev libcups2-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev libtool-bin libcupsimage2-dev libcrypto++-dev libssl-dev libsnmp-dev libsane-dev python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-pyqt5 python3-pyqt5 python-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python-notify xsane libdbus-1-dev

Afterwards, you should be able to follow the official instructions to install the latest version of HPLIP: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/install/install/index

2 Likes

Great! I’ll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Great news! It worked!

I was able to upgrade hplip to 3.20, but I did have to set a root password for my system in order to install the plugin for my scanner.

The reason for this is that the hp-systray application needed to be running when I attempted to scan so that I would get prompted to install the HP plugin. I was not permitted to run the hp-systray as root via sudo, so when I got to the point in the HP wizard to install the plugin, it wanted the password for root.

Anyway, I got the plugin installed and am now able to successfully scan.

I can’t thank you enough.

2 Likes

kabuki-kai, would you be agreeable with splintering this portion on hplip into a separate thread with its solution that others may find in search and help them? If so, a Moderator can isolate these select posts and place them under an “hplip” title in the General Help forum.
Thanks to Azorin for sparing us from a rabbit hunt today.

1 Like

Absolutely. Anything to make it easier for others to find.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Installing HPLIP

6 posts were split to a new topic: Hpw to scan with hp deskjet 2700 series (2721e)