Using gThumb Got a Question

Tried finding this online but I can't explain it well so I didn't get any replies .....

I have it set to go to my Pictures Folder naturally ..... but also in that folder I have some other folders that I use to place these pictures in .... when gThumb opens it only shows the photo thumbs not the folders ..

My question is how can I get these folders to show so I can transfer photos to them and also open up these folders .....

Other programs I have used shows everything in Picture Fold when I open it ....

So, if I understand this right, you can see the pictures but the existing folder structure that you use to keep them organized is gone?

1 Like

AFIK Gthumb doesn't import all photos from pictures like some programs , but should display a folder and sub-folder tree in the left pane. Selecting the folder should display the contents.

1 Like

Yes and thank you it does .... and that works but with XnView MP I could just select pictures and then slide them to the folder above on the same screen and put them there ..... made it easier ..... but I guess a new program and new way of doing things .... been playing with it for a while yesterday and it seems to be OK .....

I don't really need a photo viewing program that is complicated but has just a few additional features like batch filing ..... I found that feature also yesterday and I use that one quite a bit ....

One thing I don't like is that I set the app to convert all photos to PNG but the setting keeps going back to JPEG once I close the Settings Panel .... I prefer to use PNG

I was thinking of the feature in shotwell and like programs that import everything regardless of sub-folder if the user allows it so, when you open it your whole photo collection is visible. Then the program can be used sort by date and so on...

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...... Well that was an interesting experiment ..... I didn't have Shotwell in Software as I deleted it .... I don't use a camera except my cell phone so I saw no need to keep it .....

I reinstalled it by use of the terminal and proceeded to tell it to upload my pictures thinking it would upload them by folders ..... NOPE .... it uploaded every single photo separately ..... all 15,080 of them ..... every single photo from everywhere there could possibly be a photo on my laptop ....

Well that won't work ..... I need to remove these photos .... can I just remove them by deleting them in Shotwell or will that remove them from my laptop as well .... I sure don't want to do that ..... I could also just uninstall the apt and reinstall it again just not tell it to upload ALL my photos ....

[quote="Winged1, post:5, topic:22559"]
shotwell and like programs that import everything regardless of sub-folder if the user allows it
[/quote] Sorry I didn't expect you to try it. :astonished:

Hey no problem it was an interesting experiment ....you mentioned in your post that it WOULD show ALL the files ..... I just sometimes act without full comprehending what I'm doing .... a very bad habit I've developed as I've gotten older .... when I was younger I would think everything out thoroughly .... and act accordingly .... now not so much ...... :thinking:

For most, this usually operates the other way around...

1 Like

:+1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.