Using the latest Version of Wine on Z16

i don't have wine installed, i need to it now , but i think in installing the last version too, so i need confirm from the community if i installed the last version that may harm the distro, i think may that wine7 will be included in zorin16.2

Yes, you can install WIne7 on Zorin OS. Just be sure to use the FOCAL repository and do not use any other Wine Repository.

sudo wget -nc -P /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/focal/winehq-focal.sources
2 Likes

sorry, do u mean if i execute the command above, i just need to execute that command too:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
it's all the steps, or i follow the steps in the link

Please follow the steps in the link. I posted the Proper Command for the Repository that applies to Zorin OS 16.
In your link, it would be the same command listed for Ubuntu 20.04.

in the step of sudo apt update: i get that:

W: GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu focal InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F
E: The repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu focal InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Yes... Another recent thread had that same exact problem.

Wine...

zorin prevent it to avoid upgrade?

I am certain that there is no deliberate blocking done by Zorin OS on Wine. But you do raise an interesting possibility of a package conflict.
Do you have Zorin-windows-app-support installed?

no, when i try click on .exe app , it's pop up window to install windows-app-support

OH ok. I see where I got confused.
You already have Wine 7 Installed.

You do not have Zorin-Windows-app-Support installed - which is wine 5 (I think).

You want the latest version of Wine.

However, Wine7 is the latest version of Wine Stable.
The current beta version is Win 7.18.

i haven't installed it, i just add the wine repository as above, and did sudo update , and get the result that i posted above, and if i try instilling, i get that

[sudo] password for eid:          
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package winehq-stable is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'winehq-stable' has no installation candidate

what about if i install by:
sudo apt install wine
instead of the above:

It's worth trying...

i tried, but it installed wine6

i tried the commands in the official site of wine, and it's worked with me, and i have wine7 installed now.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

but because i tried that command more than times :sudo wget -nc -P /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/focal/winehq-focal.sourceswhile trying to install wine, i get that warning: it is safe and clean, or i should do something?

Reading state information... Done
14 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:58 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources:1

You should remove line 58 from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources

this file have 6 lines

I think i posted a lot on the thread of @devison , i'm sorry, if i can split my posting to other thread.
I think for devison he just need to install the staging or the dev version of wine to get the wine 7.18, i don't know.
can i split my posts to anther thread ?

Can you post the result of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources

please?

Of course, thanks for pointing it out.

Types: deb
URIs: Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu
Suites: focal
Components: main
Architectures: amd64 i386
Signed-By: /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key

1 Like

Ok it is line 1 in the file you displayed the contents of the above, along with line 58 in /etc/apt/sources.list

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

1 Like