Wallpaper as a slideshow

Hi,

In Windows you could have your wallpapers displayed as a slideshow, for example the image changes every 10 minutes.
In Zorin I cannot find these option – did I miss this option or where can I find it?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Fabi992 to the forum.

Can you please tell us which edition of Zorin OS are you using? Core or Lite? Please specify this in your profile settings.

Thanks for your quick answer.
Sorry, I forgot to mention it - I am using the Zorin OS 16 Core :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe making a video with your favorite wallpapers and run them as live wallpaper. There's probably another neat way to do it I don't know about. :cowboy_hat_face:

Variety application, maybe? I have never used it - I only know the app exists from making an icon for it.

2 Likes

There is no slideshow wallpaper feature in GNOME yet....or probably, they removed it?
I don't know.
I remember shotwell the image viewer has a feature of setting slideshow wallpaper of selected images.
Here you go. This is the link for a tutorial:

2 Likes

install X-screensaver and its components through Synaptic

Select GL Slideshow and then tell it what folder you want to pull pictures from

Sorry, I thought you wanted this as a screensaver.. and I realize now you're asking for your wallpaper to change.

Cinnamon actually as this as a setting in backgrounds, though I haven't used it.

4 Likes

I use Zorin Pro Lite, but I think this works in Core as well. When I right click on my desktop to change my background, at the bottom of the page I can see: 0 Change the background in minutes .....(min 1 minute) 0 Random order
As I have my own Wallpaper folder in Pictures, I set this folder on the same page. It may be the same in Core.

1 Like

It is not, in fact. That's why I asked the OP to tell whether they use Core or Lite. XFCE and Cinnamon too has this feature in the settings and KDE Plasma too.

Yes! I just checked in Zorin 16 Pro. I had forgotten the different Settings layout. Sorry.

1 Like

You don't have to apologise for that! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

A Gnome extension maybe? Desk Changer is a Wallpaper Slideshow Extension for GNOME - OMG! Ubuntu!

3 Likes

Splashy - works on all OS's and all devices (smartphones) - but you have to pay for the full thing:

https://alternativeto.net/software/splashy/about/

Also:

But I really could not stand Bing on a GNU/Linux Desktop (or any desktop!)

1 Like

Wow, thanks a lot to you all for your tips! :grinning: :+1:t3:

I just tried the first tip from Elegant_Emperor (UbuntuHandbook with Shotwell) and it easily worked.

4 Likes

It is possible...
Install Shotwell...
mark the images you want to make a slideshow on shotwell..
click on file, then click on set as desktop slideshow.
Your welcome,

4 Likes

I just recently bought Zorin OS Pro and would like to support this feature request. It would be neat if we could select a folder in the wallpaper menu and make it toggle through the images (slide-show) like you can do in windows f.e. Thanks.

It is already available on some DE's that you use on Zorin. I am using Cinnamon and it's already there.

If you actually read the thread it is already available and there are postings of how to do it if you want it.

1 Like

Well it doesn't come out of the box does it? But thanks for the reply. I will look into it.

Yes.... Please read the thread

1 Like

Out of the box slideshow option within the wallpaper menu?

Zorin OS 16.1 Pro :x:
Zorin OS 16.1 Lite :white_check_mark:
Zorin OS 15.3 Lite :white_check_mark:

Shotwell (Flatpak) :x:
Shotwell (DEB) :white_check_mark:

Shotwell wasn't able to do the job, in the beginning. Switching from Flatpak to DEB (apt-get install shotwell) did the job. Now I can enjoy my little slideshow. Thanks @Elegant_Emperor.

@Update Shotwell seems to have it's limit when it comes to how many pictures you can feed it's slideshow funtion with. I have 100+ pictures in my Wallpaper Folder right now. Which is too much for Shotwell to handle. Trying to find the sweet spot now.

1 Like