Want to exit mac OS. need feedback

I've run into problems with bad advice from apple and now no advice. I kept upgrading OS until my photoshop and dreamweaver program no longer works. The hardware seems fine( Macbook pro mid 2010) but core apple programs like iTunes, safari,mail have all had problems.
I think I want to move to zorin to see if I can make this laptop last a few more years without the software headaches and I have some questions. Is there a Linux music program into which I can import itunes music files? Will I need to save image files in non photoshop/illustrator formats? Is there a wysiwyg website app that will allow me to work on a dreamweaver created website?

You can run iTunes on Zorin OS using WINE. To install:

sudo apt install zorin-windows-app-support

Once WINE is installed with the terminal command above, you can then install iTunes.

I do not know the formats for Photoshop and Illustrator. But if you know Photoshop, then you know how to use Gimp. You would need to relearn where all the tools are, though...

File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others

2 Likes

illustrator? Isn't more like Inkscape? .svg format.

1 Like

Woa, I'm not sure about that. GIMP and Photoshop are two separate worlds. Also vanilla GIMP is inferior to Photoshop.

However, @jonabark you can install some addons to add the missing features to GIMP. Specifically, you can make it mimic the Photoshop UI.
But there are other options as well. Photopea is a good alternative to Photoshop. It runs in your browser/as a web app and the UI is the same as Photoshop. More importantly, it includes all the important features and it correctly displays .PSD files. GIMP doesn't.
You "Can" also run Photoshop via Wine but it may be a bit difficult to install. Also the catch is that in order for it to work, the DRM is removed and you can't use your own liscence. So access to some features such as the CC cloud are restricted.

Thanks for this thorough reply. And thanks to everyone for the various responses. I feel more confident this can work. I know Gimp is a bit different than PS, but I think I can learn it for the way I use it for my art, and thanks taha for the workaround info on that.

2 Likes