WD drive not recognized on boot

He said in his Original Post that the installer crashes when he tries and I don't think you are missing - I think you are spot on. He is running into the problem of translating the motherboard communicating in RAID, with the 500gig Sata drive.

1 Like

At least in this particular case, @ezzysheridan is fully aware of the nature of the storages in his system. And he even shared some knowledge I did not have :slight_smile:

But I have to keep in mind what you've just said. If the storage type is not clearly specified in the original help request, I should make it a routine to ask it first.

1 Like

Yes, I think he knows more about drives and AHCI/ RAID than I do, as well.

1 Like

Difficult if the user only knows it as a SSD not the dreaded eMMC. Have to ask for details of specific drive and look it up I guess. :frowning_face:

I switched to google translate the deepl has a limited number of translations then it wants money, which also google translate is based on AI it is not that we go very far ... However, the samsung 500 unit is always nvme not sata, mine main problem is not being able to take advantage of the mechanical hdd set in raid 0 because Zorin does not see them, secondly the online Brother printer no longer works, in the same order of importance is to choose the installation partition but if I were in windows I would simply change the path folders like documents, downloads, images and more by moving them to another disk so the 45 partition stays there.

I have found that Yandex Translate does a pretty good job. I use it for translating posts on forum.

Can you please I.D. and outline which drives you have available and how you intend to use each?

@Aravisian couldn't ezzysheridan get the uuid of the raid from bios and create a mount for it in fstab? Even though zorin doesn't see it, by creating the mount it would introduce it and maybe be recognized, forcing the recognition?

This is almost the same issue as Michel. The raid table is causing issues with Zorin being able to recognize a drive. Obviously removing the raid tables (the solution for the IRST fakeraid issue) would not work in ezzy's case though because he is utilizing this option.

The only other way to make it visible was to install a distro that does see it (using ext4) onto the unrecognized disk, and then it would be shown.

3 Likes

I can try to disable the nvme disks from bios and leave only raid 0 active, and start the installation of zorin from the key and see if it recognizes them ... now I have to go that my Cane Corso disassembles the house that wants to leave , see you later!

1 Like

Which distro could see this disk?
Distros with the latest kernel such as Fedora?

Fedora, mint, pop all have the possibility...maybe even mx. Ezzy's idea to remove all other drives from the equation may work to...but it may not. The distro's with the latest kernel releases (5.13 and up) will most likely recognize the setup.

2 Likes

I started to wonder if there is any way to create a Zorin installer with a 5.13 kernel.

[edit]
I found it. But not for a fainthearted :scream_cat:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Not to mention that the Zorin's changes wouldn't be incorporated into that build, so compatibility becomes an issue. I did it on Zorin 15.3 so my new hardware was supported, but I didn't test all parts of the os, so never found if it broke anything. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for regular users. More may go wrong in their system, as bourne has experienced and attested to, than would be worth attempting to fix.

2 Likes

If that is the case, it would be better to recommend another distr which comes with the latest kernel.
Thanks to the openness of this forum we have no hesitation to talk about other Linux distros here :slight_smile: Sometime I feel like I am sending more people to MX, my husband's distro of choice :grin:

I'm writing from windows, then nothing, nvme disks cannot be disabled, on the contrary, sata can be disabled. I would have to physically remove them, which I don't feel like doing, even if the motherboard is mounted on a test stand, I'm a geek. Having said that, I have prepared a key with Mx I did the boot, it is the latest version 19 ... dedicated to amd, but not to the amd raid in fact not even this one sees the raid disks, among other things you can not change even the language is useless to add another OS at boot, in my opinion they are the same, but I have to recognize one thing, I first installed the "core" version with which the printer worked, I also did the print test, with the "pro" see the printer online but does not print ... mysteries of technology.

I checked at distrowatch.com
Even the latest beta version, they are using 5.10.46 kernel.

I think if you want to try the bleeding edge kernel, you need something like
Fedora rawhide (5.15.0)
OpenSuse tumbleweed (5.14.2)
Manjaro 21.1.3 (5.13.15)
Ubuntu snapshot impish (5.13.0)

Yes, this is a good suggestion.

A higher kernel may help, but certainly is no guarantee. What may make the difference between OS's is not the kernel, but the installer. Zorin OS uses the Ubuntu Ubiquity Installer. MX uses its own installer.
As does Fedora.

1 Like

Ah, 3rd thing I've learnt today. I did not know that.

Fedora rawhide (5.15.0)
OpenSuse tumbleweed (5.14.2)
Ubuntu snapshot impish (5.13.0)

Actually when I looked at the names of those distro versions, they look a bit threatening.

Not that i am aware of. I have 3 different storage drives installed. From what i know (or think) raid only works with identical drives.

I used to run RAID 1 (mirroring) on my NAS and what I know is that I could mix HDDs with different capacities but the smaller disk would be the limiting factor.
That is 2GB+2GB gives the same capacity as 2GB+4GB.

1 Like

IRST is intel's solution for quicker access which creates a fake raid pointing to storage locations to improve access speed. It treats individual directories as raid partitions without duplication, as i understand it. Those raid tables are what is causing the issue in both systems, i guess because they weren't created in the os. If a fix is implemented in Ubuntu it will be passed to zorin by inherentance, but until then the only solution/work around offered has been to delete the irst table. I'm guessing that adding the uuid of the raid array to fstab will provide access and recognition, seems logical, but i have no way to test this. I'm hopeful it will provide recognition of the disks, and this may also work for Michel, but until someone can confirm initial recognition and no loss over time i couldn't call it a solution.

2 Likes