What are your favorite apps for Zorin?

You would choose the "Ubuntu 20.04" option for Zorin OS 16.

I thought you did deb? I followed your directions..

Come on people there are 1000's of you.. what are you favorite apps and why?

Yes, select the Ubuntu 20.04 package, it will give a .deb package installer.

You selected the Ubuntu 22.04 package instead of the Ubuntu 20.04 package.

In spite of:

and

I outta smack you upside the head.

1 Like

Im going blind.. lol.. head smack accepted.. but please indulge... any other new user would pick the most recent.. How other than coming to the forums would anyone know to choose 20.04 vs 22.04. :slight_smile:

You want to choose what applies most.
This is a fallacy often seen on Linux and if we are not careful, @DeanG and I will both go off on yet another tangent.
The latest is not necessarily the greatest.
And assuming that you always need the latest is often a mistake.

There are different system components between Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu 20.04. Ubuntu 22.04 made use of a changed Desktop Environment and shell.
Zorin OS 16 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 - so whenever you are given the Ubuntu Version as the choice mode- 20.04 is what applies to you. If you are looking at Linux Mint packages, then Linux Mint 20 is what would apply.

For me... in some of my own packages, I have made many updates to them in my repository in order to correct a typo in the readme. I'm serious... the typo bugged me being there. That just looks bad. But functionally and performance wise - the package was utterly identical to the lower version.
I make a very careful note of changes in each change log for things that would affect how the package works. For example, adding icons or something that some users may be missing.

The vast majority of updates in packages are actually like this. Mundane little things or tweaks - often just something the developer liked better... nothing to do with functionality or even, another I am guilty of - finding and removing superfluous code. It makes no difference in function, but removing it looks neater - especially if another nosy developer were to download my stuff.
Rolling with the Latest can often mean experiencing new bugs. Experiencing Regressions. Sometimes, breakage like your graphics failing... It is far better to stick with the applicable or stable package. The "latest" is often just a headache. Those who roll with the latest are Great for finding those bugs and getting bug reports filed, though...

good to know.. thanks!! I agree especially with the latest not being the best. I do however, have a question for you.. I installed MEGA.. In my laptop I have 2 drives> OS drive and D: extra terrabyte.. It is mounted.. I want MEGA to point to the D drive but in the interace, when i try it just shows C drive.. Is there a way to move it to the D dive?

PS.. your eye for perfection on par with mine/yours .. :slight_smile:

Did you try browsing to /media/$USER... in the megasync app location bar?
Remember that $USER is the generic placeholder for a persons Username that they named their Home Directory and user account.

so some how it installed a folder in 2 locations.

I should be putting this on the forums..

I just wish it could let me pick the 960BG drive. Notice those are the OS drive and the data drive

I figured it out.. working now :slight_smile:

Keep it coming everyone.. Don't want to go offtopic again, but are there any woman in these forums? I think woman in the linux community just makes it a brighter place.

@Aravisian I would also like to add how well MEGA for cloud storage works.. finally an icon that sits in the taskbar by the clock the right way. :slight_smile: Thanks so much from the community to find the best products, sign up, 20GB free, another 5 for adding a voip number.. 25GB's free and it works!!

Oh you know what.. This is the first distro that I have had the privilege of using that for the last few days I can't even tell if my laptop is on. It has NEVER been this quiet and I checked the cpu and gpu temps.. all perfect.. Its just not eating up anything.. On WINDOWS 11 I am using 24% of available memory out of 32GB's and the fan is on for virus scans and this and that and sounds like a freaking jet plane at times.. ZORIN.. quiet as a mouse and I have all the apps and everything is working perfectly.. The only thing I play on this laptop is ELVENAR and year its a bit slowish, but I tried the number 1 OS linux for gaming POPOs and the entire machine crapped out.. Zorin Rules :slight_smile: 9% memory!

1 Like

I have an hypothesis as to the cause of repeated tangents.:wink:

There are many women in Linux. However, do not expect a large number of them to announce it.
Somewhat due to a fear of being treated like women instead of like people.

One thing that is most helpful about this forum is that the members can generally be genderless. We are defined as or identify as the Zorin OS and Linux users. Additional information could be superfluous for some.

Email ----- ProtonMail ..... Tutanota ..... Yahoo and Vivaldi

Browser ---- Vivaldi

VPN ----- NordVPN

Antivirus ---- None

Chat ----- I don't use ANY Social Media

Office ----- LibreOfffice ..... Master PDF Editor 5

Cloud Storage ----- None

Video Capture ----- 4K Video Downloader

Photos ------ XnView Multi Platform

Email: ProtonMail*
Browser: LibreWolf, Firefox, SeaMonkey
VPN: ProtonVPN
Antivirus: none
Chat: none
Phones: None
Office: LibreOffice
Cloud storage: Mega

Well i am propably using Zorin out from the box.
Popular apps
Gaming:Steam
Chat:Discord
Browser:Firefox
E-mail: gmail
Phones:Zorin Connect on Zorin DE
Virtual box for testing.
Propably on software Zorin store is huge library but with my lucky don't trying to much to not broken Zorin. Just happy it is simple and working.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.