What would you like to see in ZorinOS 17

buckle up!

1 Like

I really like an exclusive modern music and video player for Zorin, something like Deepin OS has

Hello:
Below I refer to some features that I would like to see in the new version of Zorin Os (which, supposedly, is close to beta release).

1. That the desktop that looks like Windows 11 brings categories.
  2. That it employs a more modern kernel.
  3. That the taskbar brings more customization options (that the size of the icons can be reduced independently of the size of the taskbar).
  4. That the extensions related to the trash can and the weather report are easily and simply available. Personally I like to have an uncluttered desktop, so that the trash and the weather report are available in the taskbar, however, for a newcomer it could be confusing to use the GNOME extensions to achieve this.
  5. Have sound on logout.
  6. That Zorin Os Lite has the possibility to have sound for log in and log out.
  7. That Zorin Os Lite Pro emulates the Windows 11 desktop.
    What do you think?
    I invite you to include your suggestions.
    Alexandros
2 Likes

Is Windows 11 really so great? I don't know because it does not support my PC.

1 Like

Nope. W11 is mostly app store. Where app mostly not working. Difficult to navigation and find anything. I don't liked. I am now 4 years with Linux.

1 Like

I hope Zorin OS supports passkeys like macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS because it is crucial.

2 Likes

i think windows app store is not very useful and because one can install directly without app store(like via exe) unlike app store in linux environment which is very useful for first time beginners to linux. :grinning: :grin:

On desktops, Passkeys would be handled through Password Managers in most cases.

For example, Proton Pass already supports Passkeys and Bitwarden is also working on support.

I haven‘t heard anything about support for existing desktop applications.

i understand but what i mean is like this:

when using nordpass it runs successfully but when dashlane it doesn't work and can't process(create and store) passkeys like on google, twitter and several other websites that don't support WebAuthn type passkeys.
and i feedback about it to dashlane and dashlane says tell me linux doesn't support it.

like this

personally an app that monitors what you install outside of the "software app" and lists the items so they can be easily uninstalled

As a gamer, I'm mostly looking forward to Zorin 17 being based on Ubuntu 22.04 with a more updated kernel for benefits like Fsync in games, and a more updated compiler like gcc 12. It would be cool to see a new enough kernel that takes advantage of rust because it seems so fast. Right now we are stuck with Wine version 6.0.3 and gcc 9.4 so having the newer versions will really be great for gamers. :+1:t2:

1 Like

TBH, I only want Zorin OS 17 to have better fingerprint scanner support (for example, Zorin OS 16 Core can't recognize the fingerprint scanner on my HP laptop) and some audio upgrades (cuz my speakers are being quiet as heck).
And, IMO it would be nice if new version of Zorin OS had even more desktop layouts available for free, maybe the one like the Budgie DE.

For me, it'd be enough. :smiling_face:

And don't ask me why I don't use AmogOS. Please.

Me too, man... :pensive:

I hope that Zorin 17 has a more up-to-date WINE pre-installed.

2 Likes

You can install the latest WINE right now from the website

I tried it, but I have problems with it:

ZorinOS 17 will probably switch to a more modern multimedia stack, namely PipeWire, which will fix many different issues regarding audio.

For fingerprint scanners it's a bit tricky, as most scanners don't have any drivers available - even from those manufacturers which provide Linux-preinstalled devices like Lenovo.

@ElAchim It is trying to tell you that something went wrong whilst installing some package - presumably updates.

You can try manually upgrading:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Run this in a new Terminal window and confirm with your password. It should check for updates and then - if any are available - prompt you to install said updates.

Note that this only covers system packages, not programs installed from Flathub or Snap.

EDIT:
It seems that you were trying to install Wine. Note that when installing Wine manually from Winehq.org, you have to make sure to choose the correct version of the repository to install. In the case of ZorinOS, this is the Ubuntu 20.04 option.

I would highly recommend anyone to use bottles instead as it keeps your Wine installation seperate from your system, meaning errors like these are entirely avoided. Make sure to grant it permission to your home directory using Flatseal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.