When Zorin OS will support gnome 40?

Crash Course:

Gnome ToolKit and Gnome Developer Kit= GTK and GDK respectively.
In Linux (ignoring BSD), you generally come down to Two Main Toolkits.
Gnome Toolkit GTK and Qt (Pronounced Cute); Qt doesn't really stand for anything... The nearest you can get is Q Toolkit.

They are very different.
KDE (Kool DEsktop snicker)is based on Qt (QT) and Gnome is based... well, obviously... on GTK.

GTK Themes will not really work on KDE.
They are for GTK. On KDE, you must look for KDE Themes. There are many places you can search, like kde-look to find some to your liking. Search Plasma 5 themes
There is a LOT you can do and a lot of customization available in settings. But KDE is different from GTK in another regard:

Where you can easily go into the source or the files in GTK in order to customize, without ever needing to touch a Settings App, in KDE, you are limited almost to only using the settings applications. And while they offer a lot, what they offer is all you get.
For most people, this is enough. It is... nowhere near enough for me...
For you as a student, whose primary goal is a performance working computer while you focus on your other studies, KDE is a Fine Choice.

Just keep in mind that when using it, you are better served sticking to thigns formulated for Plasma Desktop, not Gnome Desktop. It's really almost like using a different Operating System. Like the difference between Windows and Linux, really...

1 Like

You need to install kvantum and use kvantum themes for that.

2 Likes

Plasma is taking a long to load.
Is there any way to speed it up?

And I have noticed that it is very smooth but apps are taking very long to open

And also its boot time has increased. before in gnome, it was taking in 1 minute 20 seconds, but now it takes 2 minutes 50 seconds.

Is there any way to improve its boot time?

@AdarshMeher these are very good questions. I suspected Gnome had a performance edge on Plasma. I admit, it seems greater than I suspected.

I'd gladly help; If I knew how. I am woefully unqualified to help on KDE/Plasma.
But your posts stand - hopefully others can help you. And if not...
Hopefully you enjoyed the outing on Plasma desktop and enjoyed seeing the sights.:wink:
If it comes to the wire; Remember the tip about using Synaptic posted above.

1 Like

Okay, thank you :pray::pray:

1 Like

Hello, I have done some customization.

• Installed latte dock
  • Change wallpaper
  • Move taskbar
  • Chang icon pack to windows 11 icon pack
  • Set the theme as sweet
  • Add widgets
  • Changed application launcher's icon

Result-

I have tried my best to make the desktop beautifully but if can suggest me anything more then please tell me.

Honestly, it looks great.

I cannot define 'beauty' to you anymore than you can define 'perfect' to me.
I really like the Clock conky.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I have just only one problem left. Kde plasma is smooth but slow.

Perhaps it is loading too many things.
Can you try launching System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Background Services and disable any unneeded process?

1 Like

Out of the topic question -

Screenshot_2021-12-14-21-10-40

Why do you have a security symbol after your name? Why I don't have that?

It means I am a forum janitor. After you guys are done, I sweep up the floors.

1 Like

It means he gets his hands dirty.

2 Likes

Accurate.

2 Likes

I use gnome and only gnome. Suits my needs and work style best. When the switch to gnome 40 or 41 comes I will, sadly, say farewell to Zorin. I simply do not want to be without workspaces-to-dock. That will still leave me with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Debian 11. With luck, Debian 11 should be around for nearly five years. As I'm 86 that may suffice.
I also run EndeavourOs and Fedora 35 out of curiosity, but I don't really use them. For now Zorin 16 is my daily driver.

1 Like

As Zorin OS 16 is based on Ubuntu 20.04, it will continue to receive the same updates for the same length of time. So you may not need to say farewell to Zorin OS.:wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.