Where can I find the Zorin OS source code?

Hi Zorin OS Community Folks!

I would like to customize some things in Zorin OS. I found a link on Github and I would like to know if it is official and if in this link the Zorin OS code is hosted.

my vision

Note

1. I would like to create something similar to this image to change my desktop environment. Just as there are different layout options, I would like to have different types of desktop environment. Because I could just click and decide which one is best for me.
  2. Which of these desktop environments do I like and prefer! This idea I got from looking at the different types of layout I can choose with Zorin OS. So I thought that just as I can decide which layout is best for me to use, I could choose which desktop environment I prefer. I program in a few programming languages, and I would have no trouble creating something like this image.
  3. The only problem I see now is figuring out where I can find the Zorin OS source code that has a code snippet where there is a layout decision and figuring out how that interface works.
  4. Below you will have the access link I found which has some source code related to Zorin OS.
  5. Also, I have separated some questions and answers to clarify my main idea related to this post here.

This is the Github link I found, is this your official link?

Options for choosing the desktop environment

Just like I can choose different layouts, my idea is to select different desktop environments. Options for choosing the desktop environments: KDE, MATE, GNOME, Cinnamon, Budgie, LXQt, Xfce, Deepin.

1. What will be done?

A customizable graphical interface to select different desktop environments.

2. How will it be done?

I would like to analyze the Zorin OS code to do this. That is, I would like to use the part where I can configure the menu layout in Zorin OS, to make a graphical interface that selects the desktop environment I want to configure. I said this - some of the code I can reuse for this purpose.

3. Why do you want to do this?

I want to set up the desktop environment the way I like it - just like when I select the menu layout. I believe it would be less work if I had a graphical user interface that was used for this purpose.

4. What are you doing to make this real?

I looked up the official Zorin OS Community to see if the idea is interesting. Also, I'm looking to see if I can find Zorin OS code to achieve this purpose, which is to select the desktop environment I prefer based on the code that selects layout.

5. What would be the impact of that?

I believe it would be user experience, customization.

6. How much will it cost?

Nothing, it's just something I want to do.

7. Is this a feature?

I don't know if it would be a feature, I'm still planning. I would like some feedback from the community if the idea is interesting to continue.

8. Who can use this?

End users, people who like Zorin OS, Zorin OS Community.

9. What license are you planning?

If the idea is good, it can be any license that is Zorin OS compliant. I have no interest in infringing any trademark or patent rights. I just want to select my desktop environment based on existing code.

final note

1. I would like to know everyone's opinion to see if this idea is good and interesting
  2. If anyone can read and pass the feedback I would be happy for the answer
2 Likes

Yes, that is the official Github account.
Also, please see Here for Zorin OS Source Code:

I find your ideas very interesting, as a member of the forum.
I also use other Desktops on Zorin OS Including Cinnamon, Mate, LXDE-gtk3, Enlightenment and whatever else tickles my mood of exploration.

4 Likes

Yes that would be good!
I find you ideas very interesting...Would love to see you working on it.
More DE choices=More freedom=More happiness.

2 Likes

Sounds intriguing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.