Which computer cleaner to install?

I am 100% sure. I can say this with a Lot Of Confidence because I actually have reviewed the open source code for Bleachbit and even offered a small correction to it here:

What @zabadabadoo was referring to was that it runs the same commands that you would run in terminal behind that GUI screen. Not that it runs commands "behind your back" when you are not actively using the application.
BleachBit is not automated and it will not run at all unless you launch it and operate it.
It does not run in the background. When you close it - it fully closes and kills the process. So if you launch it again after closing it, it must fully initialize.

2 Likes

You placed that post on Customization :wink:?

It fits the bill...

Huh? Share your custom themes, wallpapers, and icons for Zorin OS :face_with_diagonal_mouth:?

I customized BleachBit to accomodate themes properly on Zorin OS?
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So, it's perfect, caro Luca. I love Bleachbit by myself!

1 Like

I installed BleachBit and I'm going to try its cleanings progressively, there are so many options. Looks like it detects the installed software and loads its own section with cleaning options to choose according to the superfluous file types that the software can generate, right?

right.

1 Like

@Luca_Pavan if you want to remove the unnecessary files on root (I highly recommend you to do that)
press ALT + F2 and write there pkexec bleachbit

1 Like

I'm not so sure now that I viewed the whole list, I see entries for software that I never installed, like Nexuiz by AlienTrap Games, Opera, Pale Moon, Skype and Zoom, plus many more. I don't like that developers add stuff assuming that the user has it, like bloating phones with Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube and other stuff assuming that the user use it like a standard.

You mean for automatic cleaning at startup? Anyway I prefer to clean my computers manually, just to see what's going to delete.

Those are just entries for cleaning those files if they exist - not entries for preinstalled applications.

In my app menu, when I pull up BleachBit, there are two launch options: BleachBit and BleachBit as Root.

1 Like

In mine too, but I thought that on gnome this wouldn't be the same.

At the beginning BleachBit would have about 200 entries, considering that 90% of them are software that I don't have at all.

Luckily enabling Hide irrelevant cleaners on Preferences I reduced the list to only 7.

Then the progress bar is faulty, it's at Done. (Fatto.) despite its appearance shows a running process that doesn't really exist. However, a Discord cleaning makes Discord lose my verification so I have to register again but I see no Password or anything related to authentication or user profile entries for it. Moreover, BleachBit is unable to locate uninstallations residuals, I opened /home/.var/.app and found 2 files myself. Of course there are many more scattered around.

Which computer cleaner to install?

None - To dangerous if you do not know what you're doing. It should only be used by people who actually knows what they are doing. It's easy to brick your system with these apps.

1 Like

@catlikehana, I see that your command updates and upgrades but I don't want to do both automatically since there are some updates that I don't download and I don't want to update yet for safety. @Storm, I know, but I have enough experience to know which options to check to the cleanings and which not since when I was using Windows I used much WiseCleaner software that clean the cache, delete thumbnails files and any other stuff that BleachBit does, but I see that BleachBit hasn't 1 thing that I wanted. Probably the only way to brick a Linux distro is when these apps remove critical configuration files or dependencies, or part of them, but usually these apps aren't mean to delete such important stuff, they show a clear warning before proceeding or separate it in a section for advanced users. I see that BleachBit limits itself to common cache, thumbnails data, trash bin, clipboard and other harmless entries.

You can create an executable /bin/bash script that you can run to clear out trash, cache, temporary, thumbnails and run apt autoclean.

You can use the apt-mark hold command on any packages that you do not want to get upgraded.

1 Like

Is there a way to do it on Synaptic Package Manager? Then should I uncheck Source Code from Software & Updates? On some updates title I read (source code) but I suppose I don't need them.

Yes, this should not be checked in the first place unless a specific package necessitated it that you know fully about.

Yes. Search the package you want to hold in Synaptic. Select it with Left Click.
On the Menubar click Package. In the popover menu, click the checkbox for Lock Version.

1 Like

I have bleachbit installed, but do not use it even though I have limited HDD space.
I have found occassional manual cleaning of apt and journalctl keeps disk space in order.
e.g. these posts:
How to do a disk clean up? - #2 by Aravisian (the 2 terminal commands)
Using the Terminal Emulator in Linux Distros - #2 by zabadabadoo

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.