Which is/are your most/least favourite version(s) of Windows and why?

Objectively speaking, I'd say Windows has, overall, continued to improve with successive releases. In terms of engineering, presentation, ease of use, security, and general usefulness, Windows 11 is the best yet. It's a very polished OS to use.

But on a personal level, I hate it - not because it's poorly made, because it isn't. It's the user-hostile design decisions like making MSAs mandatory, dark patterns that railroad users into doing things that help Microsoft (widgets always opening in Edge and not respecting your default browser, bundling ads and crapware in default installations, malware-like bait-and-switch tactics used to get users to upgrade, updates that can't be disabled) that really irritate me. Somewhere, under all that corporate policy, is a fantastic OS.

And I don't know if I'm the only one on the planet that's bothered by this, but I despise the way recent versions of Windows talk to me.

Around the time Office 2013 released, the UX teams at Microsoft took it upon themselves to start going crazy with 'informalising' the app language, turning phrases like "The file is in use by another user" into "There's someone else here", "Do you want to save your changes to xx?" into "Want to save your changes to xx?".

Windows 11 is full of phrases like, "Hi. We're glad you're here." "Getting everything ready for you, just a little longer." "[App] just got installed, check it out." Windows' UX designers seem to think that Windows should be talking to its users like it wants to be their friend, but it somehow just comes across as condescending.

Anyway, for favourites...

Nostalgia points me to Windows 95, as it was the first version of Windows that I ever used, and it was my introduction to computers - I like to fire it up in DosBOX every now and then just to relive the childhood memories.

I also have a soft spot for Vista - I got caught up in all the Longhorn hype and I find the development story behind it to be fascinating. The end product, after service packs were issued and hardware vendors caught up with its new driver models, was quite pleasant to use for the time. DWM and WPF were massive steps up in improving the user experience of the OS, catching it up to Mac OS X. The entire thing just looked so revolutionary and futuristic.

I also loved Windows 8... on a tablet. I know there was a horrible duality to it that just didn't make sense for either tablets or desktop computers, but the tablet experience, on a base level, was wonderful. I was sad that so much of the good work that was done in Windows 8.x was thrown away for Windows 10. Perhaps for the best overall, but Windows 10 didn't care about UX like Windows 8 did. There are so many nice details about the movement and arrangement of Windows 8's tablet experience that they just tossed away afterwards.

1 Like

You are not.
I comment on this often.
I find it very creepy: "Hi. Sit back and relax. We are getting everything ready for you." I imagine this is what you see on the display when abducted by aliens.
Umm... I want "Clippy" back. At least the Puppy or the Paperclip was just annoying, not super creepy.

You describe my recent experience with Windows 11 to a "T". Up until recently, I was not really antagonistic toward Windows.
And you can see this in posts even as recent as a month ago. Recently, however, I started using Windows 11 for the very first time and Windows again after using exclusively Linux for about a year and a half to two years or so. You would think that reverting back to an OS I used for the vast majority of my life would be pretty easy.
However, the short time of using Linux has spoiled me a lot more than I realized. In using Windows 11, I was struck by:

• The complete loss of a feeling of user control
  • The inundation with integrated accounts and demands that I set up information the way Windows wants - or I am disallowed from proceeding. "Hi. Just give in. We are getting everything ready to spy on you. Relax, this won't hurt. Wanna be probed?"
  • The sudden unwanted "upgrade" and the inability to stop it.
  • Rebooting itself due to having installed updates of its own accord in the middle of me working without warning.

I have not booted Windows up for a few days... But because Zorin can access its files, I noted earlier today that it created a new partition and Put Things on it. I get why... I know why... but WHY is it doing that?
It's like buying one of those Robot Vacuum cleaners. Programming it. Setting it up.
Then... at three am, you are woken up to hearing it bumping up against the wall in the living room.
ONE: Why is it thinking for itself and Two: why is it failing at it?

1 Like

Let me add some weight to my points by providing some links:

source

source

Who likes IE and Cortana?

Less compared to the number of features that Micro!@#$% removed when they built previous versions of Windows:
Compare the number:

It seems like, not many features were removed in Windows 11. However, the taskbar as you mention received severe hits. But I also found out that Micro!@#$% is working on bring back, most of the features, for example:

I do not care about IE and Cortana. They are not the only features removed, by far. Features removed include the Panel Settings, app menu settings, as well. And I linked to you already that even the Registry Fixes for these removals have also been removed.
https://allthings.how/psa-you-cant-disable-taskbar-button-grouping-in-windows-11-😡/#:~:text=Just%20enter%20'gpedit.,set%20it%20to%20'Enabled

Grouping is one of the things I immediately disable. It is inefficient, disallowing fast recognition of open tasks and windows.
That choice, however, was taken from me.
Don't get me wrong... I hacked it back in... But just because I could repair it with some know-how does not mean every one can or should even have to.

I can also post links that show that Microsoft DOES upgrade automatically to Windows 11.
More-over... I witnessed it do this on my machine, first hand. You cannot tell me that it does not when I watched it happen.
Secondly, your links are, for lack of a better term: Misleading.
It comes down to what you qualify as "forced." If you can disable it with some know-how... or technically, you can roll it back (Even though it will just do it again if you are not careful) - then your link claims it is not "forced."
I disagree. Automatically choosing for you is still making that decision for you.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-automatically-downloads-and-installs/e941255c-cb77-48d2-bb7f-120910de0b62

I posted this link for you previously but you said that the information in the link is inaccurate

So, let's see what Microsoft Itself has to say. The Microsoft Webpage itself does not say whether it is automatic or not. It does not confirm or deny. It does however, impose a time limit on rolling back - which I did not know about:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-11

Yes. After you have installed the Windows 11 upgrade, there is a 10-day period where you can move back to Windows 10 while keeping files and data that you brought along with you. After the 10 days, you will need to back up your data and do a “clean install” to move back to Windows 10.

Interestingly, users on Windows 10 in S mode, will not get automatically updated unless they switch out of S mode. This may be why some users say that they did not get automatically upgraded, in spite of meeting Windows Stringent Requirements for it.

In the meantime, the onus is on you to support your claim that the Windows 11 Upgrade is not automatic. That is your claim without evidence. Every Single Article I look up says it IS automatic. Can you say all of those articles, every single one, is wrong and if you can, can you provide Clear Evidence that demonstrates their error? Because simply saying that they are all wrong is not good enough:

In coming days or months, all eligible Windows 10 devices will get automatic upgrade to Windows 11 operating system.

Plus the wealth of information on how to Stop It From Choosing to upgrade for you.

There is pretty much no alternate reality in existence in which you can say that my statements were in any way inaccurate.

This is irrelevant to me. No part of this shows that my statements are inaccurate.
This falls under two logical fallacies:
Shifting the Goal Posts and
Red Herring.
My statement was in complaint of removed features. It is not relevant if they removed less than they have before. Your statement that I replied to was;

This implies you are comparing Windows 11 to Windows 11 - causing my confusion and question above.

Good for them. But all that does is Confirm what I said... and refute this:

Clearly, not a single one of them has been shown to be, yet.

Hi, for this I use MsEdgeRedirect.exe. Works fine.

2 Likes

I have read this entire article carefully;

The author immediately resorts to doubt.
Right at the outset, the author posts something we all feel at one time or another: That the user did something without realizing that they did. Or do not want to admit to.
Here is my own experience.
I never reached the desktop.
I never clicked on anything that asked if it wanted to check for updates. I was trying to reach the desktop... I had already set secure boot to off in BIOS. I was booting up so I could turn off Fast boot and get Zorin Installed.
And I think we can all agree that I am not the sort to go blundering about, unsure of what I am doing...
Rather, Win10 Booted - new machine, first ever boot I did. I got the spinning blue circle.
Then,
"Hi"
"checking for updates."
Then it demanded I must sign in to a Microsoft account in order to proceed. I gave in, due to lack of time and patience and care. It was the only option offered to me. I could not do anything else, other than hold the physical power button down.
Then it installed Windows 11.

Just like that.
I did not reach the desktop until it had done all of that. Then I went in, disabled Fast Boot, rebooted and proceeded Zorin OS Installation. I was on a mission. I was not exploring Windows. I was not poking around.

Is my experience different than others because it was a brand new machine? I do not know. We have no official word that I can find From Microsoft on this. There simply is a void where answers could be.
Is the software written that it is automatic only when certain conditions are met? We do not know.
It wasn't just me. My sons computer did it to him. He then bought a Win10 disk in order to reinstall Win10. I had little involvement in that. I could not say that the Authors Speculation that the User is a Buffoon and did it to themselves is accurate or not.
I can say that authors View of Users is typical of how Microsoft views the users, though.
"We are dumb and need to be controlled and need it done for us."

The author presents no evidence, just incredulity.
And that is not a strong argument. Doubting the veracity of a claim does not refute the claim. Shifting the blame elsewhere, without any way of knowing if it belongs elsewhere and without any evidence; is utter nonsense. It's an easy cop out. But totally unsupported.

I've been working as an IT administrator / Manager and before that, I was working in a PC repair shop. From a business point of view, how windows handle updates creates the most headaches. I've got to say, if you ignore all the telemetry, pre-installed garbage, Windows 10 has been far in the best Desktop/User experience for most. It's very good at getting drivers for users, updates work 99% of the time and go unnoticed by users.

As much as I liked 7, major updates did have a habit of getting stuck and even bricking computers. Out of 100 users, I have yet to format and reinstall Windows 10. It's fast and does basic cleanup on itself, have yet to encounter a virus even with my users. It's fast, takes advantage of all the latest tech and is the most supported by hardware. It's also pretty good in a domain environment and seems to apply policies more successfully than 7.

I will be looking into Zorin Grid closely but when you run 3rd party software like Sage and a whole bunch of tools to transfer data between them, Windows makes sense. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

This is a good case point of where having different perspectives (how you feel about something) goes to show that a person is neither right nor wrong.
Just different.
From your perspective, working IT or repair; this is desirable. It means less work for you.
From my perspective; what a terrifying statement to make.

I would not want my local used car salesman doing things that go unnoticed.
Or my insurance company.
I would not want 99% of what my bank does to go unnoticed.
Most often, it's fine. When it is not fine, it is usually very not fine.
And Microsoft ain't exactly riding the reputation of Saints.

When I get updates on Zorin OS. I notice. I read what is being updated. And, I read the changelogs to see what has been changed. Sometimes, I see something in the updates that addresses a recently asked question.
And I post about it. There is direct evidence on this forum - from past unedited posts - that demonstrate the veracity of this.
I wonder: am I different than most?

If I am, is it appropriate for me to encourage others to adopt this standard?
Some may not say not. Some may feel that I am judging them.
They would be right: I Am.
Having different perspectives is a great thing. This variety of thought allows for greater possibilities to be explored. It allows us all to question the merit of our assumptions. And our judgments.
But...

There is little that I ignore.

My favorite Windows was Windows 2000NT.
It was Rock solid, stable - it worked well. It had great support and an extensive refined kernel.
XP followed in its tracks and while XP Home left something to be desired, I only used XP Pro.
Windows 7 stepped down from XP. It was a notch below. I liked it alright... It was better than Vista... Or Windows 8. Anything was better than the Patched Windows 8...
A slug crawling on my broken hard drive was better than patched 8.
For me, Windows 10 fell into Least Favorite between the above (Though still better than Vista or 8). Using it was often more like pulling teeth. Yes, it had great HW support. But less USER support. I can handle hardware better than I can handle having my hands tied.

1 Like

I'm in a similar mindset to you in terms of controlling what I install/update, knowing what's changed etc but the sad fact is most people just don't care. Businesses just want what works/what's familiar etc.

I do think times are changing these days. People are aware that work will closely monitor what they do on their devices so I can see people are at least separating the 2. It makes me smile to see Facebook suffer losses to their stock price as people realise they're the product being sold, data privacy getting better (Apple giving their users the option to stop cross-app data tracking, data protection, GDRP, VPN usage).

I do get a lot of questions on this subject and recommend small things like changing search engines and privacy controls on devices. The fact is though, it all takes time and effort to do. I don't think you're being judgmental, just passionate :slight_smile:

I did help one of my users switch his old laptop over to Zorin-lite and he's happy with it. Small victories will keep you sane. I think there's a balance, leaving the door open and helping/informing rather than trying to force your mindset on people.

--EDIT--
I would also say, not to get frustrated when people don't listen or care. I think you've had a major positive impact on this forum/Zorin community and enabled a lot of people the confidence to say goodbye to windows. Keep fighting the good fight!

2 Likes

Companies have vigorously studied how much people will tolerate before they leave a product or company. The answer is - Quite a lot.
This makes sense when you think about it. the vast majority of time humans have been around, times have been lean and hard. Survivors don't quit.
In these modern times, you can see the effect this has on our psyche. You can easily tell that people are, in general, not quitters - when watching other people with their relationships.
There was a time in Humanities History, when tool making was an art and had to be done just so. There was no laziness about it.
As companies push the limits, the limit of what people will tolerate is being reached - and the times begin to change as social influence encourages others to tolerate less.

Perhaps people care; but not enough. Perhaps due to too many pressing priorities in modern life, people cannot afford to care about everything. This is my passionate flaw.
When I saw the scene in Final Fantasy Advent Children when Cloud said; "There is nothing that isn't important to me" the little me inside exploded with complete recognition.
That's me to a T- a superman complex in an average person.

I appreciate your perceptive words. I am judgmental - I just do not believe that is necessarily wrong. In society we are told to not judge. I do not judge the things we cannot control. I do not judge people because of who they find attractive or what flavor of ice cream they like. I do not judge people for who they are. But I judge for what they choose to be. How much... really... do we have that we can choose? Not much. Not really. So, when you have that power - use it.
Protect it.

2 Likes

You asked it...

What makes it hard for me to believe is that when my sister received this "Install Windows 11" option, I could decline it. A banner appears in the update setting of Windows 10 that asks you to either "Install Windows" or "Stay on Windows 10 for now"..Neither of my PCs are eligible for the Windows 11 upgrade so I didn't get this option in my dual boot system. Today I asked my sister if she had installed 11. She said no. "Did it install itself? Did you have to rollback or something?" To this she said "No" again. However, I went deeper into this issue. And I found that this did happen to several people. There is a whole reddit page where people are complaining. While some others are claiming that this didn't happen to them. I have therefore concluded with the only possibility:

Its a bug that installs Windows 11.

And just to be clear, I repeat Micro!@#$% WINDOWS 11 is not forcing the upgrade.
Microsoft makes it explicitly clear on their Website:

source

And the following is a screenshot from the Windows 11's webpage FAQ:

source

I have read articles that say otherwise. Two of which I have already stated in my previous posts.

What? You asked it:

Refer to the links I posted above.

Stop quoting edited lines...And in case you missed it, this is what I wrote in a PM:

Since, we are at it..Two of your statements were proved to be inaccurate.

Added reference:

source

Not really. You suggested the removals that I was unhappy with are somehow related.
They are not. In fact, you later posted evidence that shows I am not alone in being unhappy with it and due to user feedback, Windows may restore some of what was removed.

Maybe.

I disagree.
It is forcing it.
When it is being installed automatically (that you now backpeddle as a "bug" not a feature...) without consent - That is Force.
Just because Microsoft claims that because you can roll it back (Until it auto upgrades again, like that poster that it happened to three times in a row) does not mean it is not force.
Let me try an analogy...
If a person punches you in the face, is that Use Of Force?
What if I counter that it is not really force because you could have dodged? Or blocked? Or punched him back?
Will that argument hold merit to you?
Remove Consent: = Force.
Would claiming that it is not force hold up in a Court of Law should a man say that the women he pinned down could have resisted his efforts?

I already covered this. You are shifting the goal posts.

Same. You just claim they are all wrong, though. And that all the myriad of articles that cover attempts at blocking the upgrade, too.

I quoted the line as it was. You edited it and changed the content after the fact.
The record Stands.

SIGH...
This.
Statement.
Is.
ACCURATE.
You are assuming that I was referring to the Win11 Upgrade. At the time that I wrote that post - I was referring to Different Upgraded Software Packages - quite a few of them, actually...
Furthermore - to the wording: "like I can on Zorin." On Zorin OS, rolling back any upgrade is easy. The wording is not that it is impossible, but that it is not direct and easy as it is on Zorin OS.
@Elegant_Emperor : You are assuming a great deal, then jumping directly to accusation.
This is not conducive to proper debate.
If you have doubt, it may be better to ask which updates I was trying to undo, than to assume.
A demonstration may be more helpful than denial.
Moreover, if I am stating that they are not the same as I can on Zorin OS... That is, direct and easy... Please do not claim I am stating that it is impossible, when I have not said such.
This tactic actually inflames and angers - it does not increase understanding or communication.

Yes - I am frustrated with my experience on Windows. You disbelieving that it upgrades to Win11 means nothing to me - as I watched it happen. As my son did as well. A bug? Or Force. Take your pick. Either way, it does not mean that my statements are inaccurate.
Your pressure seems more focused on "proving someone wrong" in any manner you can find, than they do toward seeking actual accuracy.
And if we have a myriad of websites claiming two different things; then the only logical conclusion we can reach is that we do not know.
This, however, does not change my valid and very real experience of watching it happen right in front of me and as I described it in detail above.

I seem to be causing a great deal of confusion and misunderstandings lately....
It may be because of my poor communication skills and vocabulary. Let me clarify:

I did not suggest that the removals you are unhappy are some how related.
This is what I said initially:

Read carefully.

Did you see the screenshots and links to the official micro!@#$% webpages?

I just answered, since you asked. Stop referring it as a Red Herring.

The links that I was talking about are these:

I know you are not referring to the Win11 upgrade. I am talking about the regular updates.
Read this article that I have linked to:

I did not assume anything and this particular post clarifies that and I did not make any accusations either. Quote my accusations if you can.

Take your time and read my posts carefully...I have attached the screenshots of the articles so that you don't have to click on the links and waste your time reading them. My initial post was not even specific to Windows 11, though I have used it as my point of reference. I did not even know about the auto-installation issue of Windows 11 until your next post.

Fair enough. I can see how that led down a rabbit hole of misunderstanding.
Let's consider that a Closed Issue, in which case.

I understand. However, neither of those actually clarify whether Windows 11 Uprgade is automatic, or not. Microsoft or any other company can claim that you do not have to accept an upgrade that is automatic, simply by pointing you toward disabling automatic upgrades.
Linux and Zorin OS also have Automatic Update (Though, admittedly, not an automated Release Upgrade) options.

I believe that we should also close out where we disagree as to whether the above is forced. It appears we have a different standard as to what constitutes force and we cannot clarify, at this time, whether the Win11 Upgrade is supposed to be automatic or not.

If you do not believe that Accusation was your intent, then I am fine with letting that statement I made go as not applicable and apologize.
The link you posted I had already found (Or at least a similar one) and used those steps.
It did not work.
Two things:

• To roll back a Build Update, you must validate a Microsoft Account password. This is non-essential in reality - much like Windows demanding that you have or create a Microsoft account password (Or you can use your Google one!) which is something that was not required on Previous Versions or Releases of Windows. In fact, this came across as intrusive to many users. The link you posted does not cover this necessary step. It does not mention it. Yet, it exists and is real.
  • Another package said "error 31" and simply... That it couldn't.
    That was it.

So, this is where my wording of "like I can on Zorin" really comes from. Part of this may be personal to me... That is - I make use of the terminal. On Windows, I am fumbling in GUI where I am limited to what options it offers, rather than inputting exactly what I want done.
I can roll back a package merely by installing the previous version. The terminal point this out: "Are you sure you wish to downgrade this package?" I can also roll back the kernel in much the same way - which is the Drivers.
In Windows, I must use the Device Manager to do this.
And I run into the Limits imposed by the GUI offerings. Though I agree with you that this Generally Works.

When I relay my experiences with Windows- The intrusiveness... the updates and upgrades... Or how I feel that Windows deserves some of the heat directed toward them - these are accurate.
It does not mean that it is not Possible to do some of the things that I cannot do.
Having Used Windows for probably 95% of the time in my life I have operated Computers, I find it rather fascinating that the time I spent on Linux (that remaining 5%) led to much easier control, use, less aggrevation, less struggling to figure out how to do things.
This is plainly observed by my presence here... Compared to the 15 years I spent begging for help ON Windows Forums without ever giving any in return.

Allow me an analogy that hits closer to home. On Zorin OS 15 Core, you cannot right click the Panel (taskbar) and open the settings for it. There are none. You can on Zorin Lite or any Distro using XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and so on. But not Gnome. In Zorin OS 16 Core, the ZorinGroup added an extension that permits right click > Settings.
However, if a user says that they prefer to not use Gnome because it removed the Panel Settings - that statement is 100% accurate.
Gnome did.
Just because another party created an extension that exists; that restores that feature and does allow it; Just because you can install it and use it... It does not invalidate that users voice in any way. Gnome did remove that feature.
And on Gnome, You cannot. It does not mean it is impossible, with the right know-how or with an extension (Since a third party made one in aggravation), You can (though you couldn't prior to that extensions release...)
Hopefully this analogy helps.

2 Likes

As a recovering Windows user, I think windows 7 and XP, were with all credit to them pretty decent OS's. I did not like the user control reduction in W7 compared with XP, and did not like the security flaws in XP. But the truth is, I may never have looked towards Linux if the brutality of W10..even worse with W11 came about...Maybe I'd still be on W7 happy as Larry if they continued supporting it. So I'm glad they did not as they have opened a different world up to me, and I've taken an interest in the importance of security, open source S/W and an appreciation for the developments this community has given us.

My worst Windows OS has got to be Windows 8, followed closely by Vista. Windows 8 was a particularly nasty move by Microsoft attempting to tee up their users for handheld platforms, and I just hated it...it seemed very infantile to me. Used very little of it thankfully. At least Vista had some benefits, of patching up the security a little. W8 had none....it was awful.

3 Likes

Windows xp have limits with using ram and many software not working. I still using W7 but I am also happy with Zorin.

1 Like

I am presently dual booting Win 10 Pro on dual drives but would much prefer Win 7 for which I have the install disk but my computer which came installed with Win 10 Home will not support Win 7 drivers as I tied to by installing the Win 7 disk .... such a shame ..... :sob:

Anyway I stripped down Win 10 and removed most of the programs etc ..... I don't worry about Win updates as I have disabled them by means of some software and commands in the registry .... in fact I have not installed ANY of Windows updates since they removed that choice offered back in Win 7 ....

There are ways around it by upgrading to a different version of Windows such as Pro ..... using a 3rd party software program or by typing some commands in the registry ....

I did and still do all hardware and software updates by going to the manufactures website and downloading from there for Win 10 ....

As far as security if you use a good antivirus program (I have 3 on Win 10) use a hardware firewall and stay off undesirable websites along with not opening ANY emails you are unsure of or don't know where they come from you should be OK .....

I trust my way a whole lot more than M$ way of keeping my Win 10 safe ..... but that is just me your mileage may be different ..... but the way M$ is heading you don't have any choice in the matter ..... after all we all know that M$ knows better than we do on how to use or machines which by the way we paid for .....

Do I hate Windows ..... no ...... I hate what it has become thanks to M$'s trying to decide what I can and can't do with something I bought and paid for ..... which is why they gave away Windows 10 ..... after all you can't complain about something that was given to you even if it does mean spying and collecting info about you in the process .... that's what I hate about M$ the company not the program ....

Will I ever go to Win 11 ???? you can bet your bippy I won't .... I love Zorin and I will stay here as there is so much more I can do with it despite the lack of software support for Linux ..... maybe that will come in the future but until then I am as happy as a pig in you know what .....

This is no problem. That only you need find a websides for your hardware where people wrote drivers to your hardware. Everything is possible.

1 Like

Interesting I never knew that I'll do a search for Win 7 drivers and see what happens .... thanks ....