Why should I stick with Zorin?

Zorin offers Zorin-Windows-App_support package - or Wine:

You can install App support using Software or Synaptic or from Terminal. Or, you can download an .exe file and double click it and the Zorin OS Automated Installer will offer to install it.

How well Scrivener will work in WINE: I have no idea. Wine is a compatibility layer, not an emulator. Most applications work fine in it. Some don't.
Many users opt, instead, to run a persistent Windows OS in a Virtual Desktop Session using VirtualBox, VMWare or Other Virtual System Manager.
Personally, I believe that this is the best way to go.

But it is also not something I do so am woefully unqualified to help much with.
As I moved over to Linux, I began finding less and less reliance on the windows Apps I used to relay on, finding Native Linux apps that performed as well or better.

Why not start a new thread on Getting Scrivener to work on Zorin OS and see if the knowledgeable members can help?

1 Like

I might do that. Being in Cinnamon, the option for :"Windows compatibility mode" didn't pop up, but I have the trial for Crossover installed, and that seemed to pick it up so far (install still going). Will update about that

2 Likes

AGREED! When I first switched to Linux, I was trying so much to continue using some of my favorite Windows software, and was able to use some of it in Wine. But the apps I really wanted to run, I couldn't!

I then later discovered that Wine sucked, and that there was no point, it was never going to work for me no matter what I did. Once I accepted that, I went to look for other ways to achieve my software goals.

And that is when I discovered the software store. Ohhhhh boy did I find that extremely handy. Keep in mind, I was a Windows7 user previously, there was no such thing as the Microsoft store like you've all had in Windows10.

So, me having an old school experience, I knew that all software had to be searched for on the net, downloaded, and installed, all done via a manual process, nothing was at my fingertips.

Now yes, of course, lots of software you would buy in your local computer store, or online for Windows as well and install it yet. But there was nothing like the software store back then. Like I said, lots changed since I was on Windows 7, and even earlier distro's like Windows XP, and further on back.

I couldn't believe all the free software available from the Zorin Linux software store! I was like, no way! It took me some time to figure out what software was alternatives for Windows versions, software like Gimp and Kdenlive for example, but once I figured it out, it opened a new world to me.

And then, soon later, I discovered Synaptic Package Manager. Its like taking the software store, and upgrading it to 2.0 UNLIMITED POWER status! I also sware by the Synaptic Package Manager myself, I think it is the best.

Keep in mind I was still new to Linux at the time and didn't quite understand the whole repo thing. Its like, repo whats that, are the Linux God's going to repo my computer? I did not understand it until I learned terminal apt install.

You see, the terminal is fully capable of doing everything Synaptic Package Manager can. The thing that makes terminal PITA, is that you have to get the syntax correctly, and have no typo's, otherwise it will fail every time.

Sometimes however, I find that if I type something wrong in terminal but its close enough, terminal will spit out, hey, did you mean this? Well this is what you need to do to achieve that!

Well, once I started installing some software via terminal, I began to click the dots. I was like ok wait, so the reason I can install software like magic with a terminal code, software that I know is not currently on the computer at the moment, is because its coming from a repo.

But then I was like, well, hold on, but the repo is not on my machine right, otherwise my hard drive would be completely filled with who knows how many TB of software in the repo. Then I began connecting the next set of dots.

I was like, hold on, so when I add a sources list, is that a lot like taking a snapshot image of my hard drive? So a sources list repository PPA is like a snapshot, it tells my computer what software is available and where it is.

So that when I input an apt install command, it knows what server the software is stored on, goes to it, grabs it, and then installs it. Once I finished connecting the dots, I then realized how much better Linux was then Windows.

There is nothing like that high feeling that you feel, once you realize how much better software installation is on Linux over that of Windows, when you've been a Windows user for so many years of your life.

Then it makes you look back at Microsoft with that look on your face that says, ya Microsoft, did you know about this? Why in the flying monkey's circus, have you been making me work so dang hard to install software?

Anyways, thats my story, well, at least part of my story, in what I felt, switching to Linux my first few months in.

1 Like

I can identify with all of that completely....BUT....there are some windows apps that just aren't duplicated in Linux software. Scrivener is one of them (unless someone can point me out to a Linux competitor for that).

Sure, there's a lot of other apps in windows that one can find suitable freeware replacements for. But some apps just aren't there in Linux, and that's before you even get to gaming.

That's why I truly hope that Codeweavers or someone else comes up with a better way for wine/crossover to work.

1 Like

Well, with gaming thats an easier answer. Are you a hardcore gamer? If your answer is no, Zorin OS 16 is more then enough. If you answer yes, then you need to be on POP OS, but thats just my opinion.

Please do consider though that I am a hardcore gamer and just like Michel, I am running my main gaming machine on POP OS 21.04. But I love Zorin OS so darn much, so I am running it on my workstation machine.

But you know what else I love? The family that I have become a part of here at ZorinGroup. I think that is what makes Zorin OS 16 so nice as well. Its like Zorin OS is the cake that was promised us, but it came without the frosting.

The Zorin family is the frosting that makes that cake all that much sweeter. You are correct, there isn't quite an APP replacement for everything in Windows, and there is always room for improvement. But, for what there is available, you gotta admit, its nice.

I hope you are able to find an APP that can serve what you need. I never used the APP you speak of on Windows, so I got 0 experience with it.

2 Likes

well, the two games I'm playing now (Siege and Division 2) are Steam and Uplay respectively. I know Siege can be played through Proton, but haven't even looked at Division 2/Uplay. Also, I have NO idea how to install AMD Radeon software for performance monitoring. They have some files, but they're all scripts and I have no idea how to run scripts yet...not sure why there's no software store app for it, at least

I know it seems a pain, but each new question that needs a solution should have its own thread.
This helps other users find specific solutions to specific questions. It helps keep the forum organized, so all users can use it as a resource.

AMD Scripts are made by use of a template. It is annoying... But AMD set it up with a basic template that determines what Distro you are using by the script, instead of using the Release File on the distro. So those scripts would fail complaining that your system is not Ubuntu.

1 Like

That is a good point, and I'll do that. I'm sure someone has some layman's instruction on getting radeon software up and running in Linux. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did not need the terminal when i switched from windows 10. Yes sometimes i use it to test stuff but out of the box linux already works great without the need of the terminal

Funny, i am a linux noob and all the windows games are running perfectly fine under wine/lutris. Wine is a great program and if i am not wrong steam uses it for their proton builds.

Why I will stick with Zorin? For the things Zorin did for me:

1. Bluetooth worked out of the box. Yes, you read it right. Only on Zorin could I simply switch it on and . I have a Yoga 530.
  2. [Coincidence] tlp started supporting my battery, so I managed to have full battery management under Linux. Heavily causing good vibes since I use Zorin.
  3. Full win app support? Nah, but what they did with Software is awesome: I can decide if I want to install a snap or a flatpack or a regular deb package is awesome. I could install World of Tanks with a simple click from Lutris, HoMM3 from Minigalaxy, also a click, and Syberia from Steam... What else on a laptop, right? :smiley:
  4. I have full Bluetooth Xbox Controller support, so I can play Xcloud from Edge on Linux.
  5. I can play GFN completely fine from Chrome on Linux, also I mentioned the Xbox Controller support via Bluetooth.
  6. I can turn my laptop into a tablet and write on it with my Lenovo pen using Xournal++: keyboard turned off, having fun, on Linux. Kudos for Wacom.
  7. All the mentioned things are working on Windows too? Yes, some of them even a little bit better. While using Linux I am not having Satya Nutella in my *ss looking whan notes I took and what project I'm working as part of my studies.

Moving to Zorin was the best thing, and as soon as they let us upgrade from Core to Pro, I'll pay the money. They deserve it and that is why I will stay on Zorin. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All very excellent points, which basically shows that Zorin OS is 99% perfect, with just that 1% lacking for you. Excellent review of your experience thus far. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nutella belongs spread on my bread, its not real chocolate, but it still tastes good. :joy:

2 Likes

Everything you just stated is false, they also work on other ubuntu based distro's. That has nothing to do what zorin did or did not.

So your gaming machine runs Zorin OS ? :zipper_mouth_face:

I never said that Michel.

I have said many of times that my main gaming machine, which is my MSI machine, runs on POP OS 21.04, I have even provided screenshots to prove it, check my thread in the lounge.

And I have also said many of times, my workstation machine, which is the Acer machine, runs on Zorin OS 16, which I have also provided screenshot proof of as well.

Although with my Zorin machine, I have re-branded it Star Labs cause of the full theme I installed on it. lol

The last time I gamed on Zorin OS, was Zorin OS 12.4, but that was last year buddy. Cause I've been on POP OS since I got the MSI computer in April of this year.

It's more the points i read from other users why they stick on Zorin. Everything they write is also in Pop! OS or any other ubuntu distro. It's not like the zorin team created everything they write.

Samples:

Pop! OS has this too, or any other distro.

My Playstation 4 controller worked out of the box in Zorin OS and Pop! OS

Pop! OS has the same software ... see what i mean :sweat_smile:

Agreed. We have all seen many instances of software contained on all distros working differently on some or not working well or at all on others.
Cefre00 said specifically:

It is perfectly valid to say that they enjoy that on Zorin, everything worked out of the box. I've had the same experience; all bluetooth has worked for me on Zorin OS, in spite of helping others on the forum who were not so lucky.

What is your problem mate? :smiley:
I never said other Ubuntu distributions would not work, but it is a fact that my Bluetooth never worked on ANY other distribution I tried, including Arch based ones.
Don't start to acid me just because I dared to share my good experience with Zorin. Go back to Windows or MacOS and just leave me alone.

Go ahead and good bye

Thread temporarily closed.

1 Like