Wifi rtl8821ce driver installation

I think it is possible but you have to ask someone like @Aravisian who is more knowledgeable for such matters.

If you are looking at speed, I might suggest you to have a look at MXLinux. It uses XFCE desktop and because of the absence of systemD, it works very efficiently.

I would love to try the MX Linux xfce especially because MX Linux plasma was easier to setup but I am wondering how easy is it to find and install software. This is my sister's laptop and she is one of these people who have no patience to learn about computers. I find Zorin and Mint is like Microsoft Windows and is therefore more familiar and easier to use.

My husband (former mac user) is happily using MXLinux for a few years now. He is anything but computer savvy.

XFCE desktop is much easier to manoeuvrer than GNOME for beginners.

Other option would be installing XFCE desktop on top of Zorin 16 Core. @Aravisian knows much better than myself when it comes to installing other DE.

I apologize.
I assumed Zorin 16, 'cuz that's what all the kids on the street are using these days.

Try the Bionic Package instead:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-updates/rtl8821ce-dkms

That being said; MX Linux is awesome and especially good for new users. The repositories are good and installations are easy. In my opinion, anyway.

Development includes not just accepting yourself as your base model, but constantly learning and improving, each and every day.

1 Like

Are we secret agents from MX to snatch some Zorin users? :sunglasses:

But really, if my husband can use it, so as many people including OP's sister.

Nah, they both can earn their keep on their own.:wink:

1 Like

I tried it. Zorin 16 boots a bit bit faster than MX Linux xfce, so I decided to try installing:

The same dependency error that showed up when trying to install this package on Zorin 15.3 occured while installing the package on Zorin 16.

I also tried the bionic package. That too showed the same error but in addition it issued a warning that it's downgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.1

1 Like

USB Wifi dongle?

While I learn about Linux from digging at these issues to try to fix them, my visit at my sister is over in 2 days so I will have to reinstall the MX Linux Plasma and settle for the slower boot time.

Hope I don't discover any other hiccups on the reinstall.

Thanks for your help. Learning how to install deb packages was the best part of this exercise.

1 Like

I wonder if it is a regression in the kernel.

The one noted difference was that the lower kernel worked - and this current one does not. You might downgrade the kernel.

I was wondering why the older kernel version works but the newer one doesn't but forgot to ask about it.

But I will need the internet for this right?

LOL Worst... Problem... Ever... Right?

You would need to do the Same Back and forth you did getting the driver.

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux/linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64_5.10.24-1~mx19+1_amd64.deb

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux/linux-image-5.10.0-5mx-amd64-unsigned_5.10.24-1~mx19+1_amd64.deb

Move the files into a folder alone, then open a terminal in that directory and run sudo dpkg -i *.deb

LOL. Yes but best linux lesson too.

There is a dependency error:

~$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
[sudo] password for iamwhoiam:
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64.
(Reading database ... 205894 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64_5.10.24-1~mx19+1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64 (5.10.24-1~mx19+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-5.10.0-5mx-amd64-unsigned.
Preparing to unpack linux-image-5.10.0-5mx-amd64-unsigned_5.10.24-1~mx19+1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-5.10.0-5mx-amd64-unsigned (5.10.24-1~mx19+1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64:
linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64 depends on linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-common (= 5.10.24-1~mx19+1); however:
Package linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-common is not installed.
linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64 depends on linux-kbuild-5.10 (>= 5.10.24-1~mx19+1); however:
Package linux-kbuild-5.10 is not installed.
linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64 depends on gcc-8; however:
Package gcc-8 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing package linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up linux-image-5.10.0-5mx-amd64-unsigned (5.10.24-1~mx19+1) ...
I: /boot/vmlinuz.old is now a symlink to vmlinuz-5.8.0-49-generic
I: /boot/vmlinuz is now a symlink to vmlinuz-5.10.0-5mx-amd64
I: /boot/initrd.img is now a symlink to initrd.img-5.10.0-5mx-amd64
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-5mx-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/renoir_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sdma1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/oland_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/pitcairn_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/verde_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/tahiti_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_dmcu.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
Sourcing file /etc/default/grub' Sourcing file /etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-5mx-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-5mx-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-49-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-49-generic
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings
done
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-amd64

In addition to the two packages linked above:

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux/linux-headers-5.10.0-5mx-common-rt_5.10.24-1~mx19+1_all.deb

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux/linux-kbuild-5.10_5.10.46-2~mx19+1_amd64.deb

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux/linux-compiler-gcc-10-x86_5.10.19-1~mx19+1_amd64.deb

Again; you must place all packages into one otherwise empty folder, then open a terminal within that folder and run all at once:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

SOURCE:
http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux/

Is security affected by reverting back to an older kernel?

Generally, no. You would have to go back pretty far before you had grounds for concern on security.

I made a silly mistake. I am not sure I want to apologize for it because I found answers to questions I didn't expect to get answered by way of this topic.

My mistake was that I didn't realize Zorin 16 was released a few weeks ago so I was still using a Zorin 16 beta USB I created some time ago.

I just started installing the Zorin 16 core and the WiFi adapter was detected right from the start.

This mistake was the most clarifying training session for me since I switched to Linux a few months ago, so thanks for that.

Hope I don't have any more issues with this laptop for now.

2 Likes

So i wasn't wrong... worried i didn't have my facts straight about 16... though even in beta this driver was there. I remember installing this driver in 15.3 lite, but 16 had it integrated (kernel 5.8).

Beta started out on 5.8, but updated to 5.11...
I am still running the Beta (Updated) on current 5.11.0-27 kernel.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.