Xfce On Zorin 17 Pro

When I choose the Settings panel on Zorin 17 Pro running Xfce DE it doesn't show a Printer category ..... do I need to have my USB printer plugged into a port on my laptop before it will appear ????? .....

I have it unplugged as it is across the room from my laptop at present ......

You may have to configure the printer in XFCE prior to it recognizing that it is there. I found that there are several external peripherals that may need re-configuring in separate DEs and OSs.

2 Likes

Looks like your right ..... I found it under Removable Drives and Media ....

I have no idea what command to use to run the printer .... most DE's just have a printer Icon under Hardware ......

I have managed to install some commands under the keyboard Application Shortcuts but how to add a printer I'm at a loss

By the way I set up CUPS using the GUI as per these instructions .....

And used the GUI method just no sure how to get it to work in Xfce 17 Pro .....

Configure via the GUI

The CUPS print server can also be configured from the web interface, which runs on port 631 and is available at http://localhost:631/. The web interface can be used to monitor and perform all printing jobs. You can add and manage printers, print jobs, and edit the configuration file directly from the interface. All these services are available under the Administration tab.

Navigate to http://localhost:631/ to open the CUPS web interface. You can find the documentation and references to using CUPS on the homepage for users, administrators, and developers.

Not sure just what I did (if anything) but the printer is working .... not sure if this command worked (found it some where) or the GUI I just installed ...... just goes to show "even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes" .....

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction 337harvey .....

2 Likes

I'm sorry I was offline for some time, and didn't help more.

I'm glad that nudge was all you needed to accomplish this yourself.

You've gotten pretty good at figuring this stuff out Frog!

3 Likes

Thank you sir .....

Not so sure about that .... LOL ..... but I have gotten over being afraid to try some stuff out especially on the Ubuntu website as long as I'm sure it is version 22.4 .....

About a month ago I started playing about 3-4 or more games of Mahjongg a day on my laptop and it sure seems to help clear some cobwebs out and it seems great for memory retention especially with the timed versions .....

No problem with the being off line we all have our regular lives to live other than the mystical world of Zorin ..... LOL ..... and I do appreciate your help when ever you are able to give it .....

2 Likes