Zorin 15.3 not recognizing 4k HDMI Monitor

Hi Aravisian, I think my first post here is interesting as it shows drivers screenshot from OpenSuse. Correct driver seem to be AMD Renoir which I have in Zorin, but as you noted device unclaimed, size of gamma etc.
The Shocking thing is that Open suse shows both monitors working correctly during USB trial boot, let alone later.
But OpenSuse has got other bugs and glitches which I didnt like during normal operation of OS. Shame for both Zorin and OpenSuse, but looks like I will have to go back to OpenSuse or find third linux which is based on OpenSuse kernel.
Latest Ubuntu I have also tried, and is worst out of all three for my Laptop. It doesn’t even install properly at all.

I based my chosen OpenSuse from this forum post, great exploration of compatible hardware of my laptop to Linux Distros. OpenSuse is mostly compatible

I think it is more interesting that we have very similar hardware and specs, yet you are experiencing troubles that I am not.
One thing we have not tried is installing the direct AMD open Drivers from the AMD website.
It is not like we are making Zorin money here - so keep that in mind when I suggest not giving up just yet.

I have tried, yesterday, but can try again and report error
 I just kind of gave up on AMD driver option as probably isn’t a main culprit.
Word of officials say the same. https://zorinos.com/help/activate-graphics-card/#amd-radeon

And as you say WE are not giving up, I am happy to do whatever you say, for example I have installed zorin again from scratch in a hope something will resolve by itself during installation process with internet and updates enabled.

Yes that is becoming a bit of a trend of late.
I used to welcome kernel updates, but now I wonder what will be broken. I now actually follow the (terminal display) details of every update whereas before I would keep that minimised. Remember me saying I test my speakers after every kernel update. Well that continues to be a well established part of my update routine. I'm always surprised if sound comes out without some faffing about in sound settings. But that sound not video and def not 4k video.
Edit: Well just updated to 5.4.0-48 without incident. There is hope yet. :smiley:

I am becoming a bit worried reading this. I always presumed LInux is more advanced. Seems like Windows got hold of open source community. HOnestly I wish to us Linux mostly because developer and IT work while keeping windows. Now I see why software developers go to Macos

@robmano.
Those “missing firmware” amdgpu/renoir files can be found via:

Which then points here:

Don’t know if that is any use to you or maybe you have already been there.

1 Like

Probably down to M$ code input to the Linux kernel - they screwed up USB code big time recently - whose to say that they are not becoming THE back door to screwing Linux!

poovomit = M$ coder on a GOOD day!

Every greedy corporation wants to run a monopoly and remove the competition. In recent gamers news, Microsoft recent bought Bethesda and their parent company. Knowing what Microsoft did with Skype after its acquisition, I have a bad feeling that this will be a bad deal as well.

1 Like

I was also disconcerted that after I thought my 1+ 3T had gone west (it was ‘fluff’ that had got into the USB C charging socket) I had to reinstall my apps again after temporarily moving back to the old 1+ 3 - and guess what? Swiftkey keyboard on Android is now Microsoft Swiftkey on Android - so they lost the phone battle - and now they are screwing with Android?! Wonder what keyloggers are present? Been trying to find an alternative to this and only stock available appears to be Google keyborad! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh! :scream:

SWARF! :grin:

Perhaps you did not know this, but you can use a real keyboard with Android devices, and a real mouse as well. You can either use a wired one that uses your USB C port, or, you can dedicate that port only to keep the device charged, and use bluetooth wireless keyboard and or mice.

This is how I primarily use my tablet in my home, I use a Logitech MX Master 3 wireless mouse, and a Arteck Bluetooth universal wireless keyboard. The only time I use the on screen QWERTY keypad, is when I am out in the shop, or somewhere else.

1 Like

When I got rid of the swiftkey keyboard, it did come up with that 
 (brain cells clicking!) Just realised that when I tried to connect using my keyboard on PC as KDE connect keyboard came up, I couldn’t (reason for brain cells clicking 
 this Cherry wireless, sweet Cherry Wireless is on RF for Linux - need to switch keyboardd and mouse to bluetooth for 1+ 3T! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you, but I dont know how to install those files.

I have tried something else. To install from this page.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-30

and I got this as result

In that folder, look for the amdgpu-pro-install file.
Open it in a text editor and search for “Ubuntu”. Change that to “Zorin”. Save the file and then try the installation.

I was trying to find madvinegar’s post in the old forum about changing etc/os-release info - this can work if an ubuntu package does not see the os as ubuntu:

So you could try changing the information to Ubuntu 18.04 and it’s code name which I can’t state here! Mucky programmers! then once installed, revert back to the Zorin naming convention. :wink:

Firstly it prompted me to uninstall old package, which was success but after not all was installed correctly.

Why does it depend on 32bit drivers?
You cuaght me literally walking out the door to take my son in to work. back in an hour and will try to troubleshoot. Sorry for the delay.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Funny
and dont worry, I also dont have time to work on it, obviously I would like to make it work as I quite like Zorin and would like to avoid using OpenSuse or Ubuntu as they are slower. Maybe Zorin is faster due to not allowing my drivers to work :slight_smile:
Anyway don’t worry about timing. Cheers mate

And I haven’t got a clue about 32 bit drivers, this is 64 bit new laptop and Ryzen Amd processor.