Zorin 16 Pro to zorin Pro 17 update

I decided to use the System Monitor App to see if there was any disk activity with the Zorin Update App. There wasn't so I saved all the settings and serial numbers for apps I would need for a clean install. I rebooted the laptop with the original Zorin 16 Pro, twice, to make sure it was booting to a stable start. Then I ran the Zorin Update App again and it worked perfectly. The installation of 17 Pro took only about 30 minutes with no holdups or problems.

Here are a few suggestions:
(1) as instructed, run the system update app on 16 Pro before doing the main update to 17 Pro.
(2) reboot your computer at least once before starting the main update to 17 Pro.
(3) watch that the blue progress bar at the bottom of the update window actually moves across the screen. It is slow, but if it hasn't moved at all after a few minutes then the app may have stopped.
(4) keep the .iso file handy in case you need to do a fresh install. Since the .iso file is bigger than 4 Mb you will need to use Ventoy to make a bootable USB.

I like the look and feel of the new version. I might need to make a few tweaks here and there, but overall, the conversion from Pro 16 to Pro 17 was successful.

3 Likes