Zorin installation by a Windows user - a comment

I just attempted to install Zorin on my Windows 10 (to dual-boot). I am not a computer newbie, having used computers extensively beginning in 1979. I have tried several times over the years to use Linux and unfortunately have stopped using the OS due to what I consider user-unfriendliness. Yes, the process has gotten better over the years. Yet, the current installation process is just as confusing as ever. When I'm asked what drive I want to mount, how do I want to manage my partitions and all of the other gobbledygook, it just impresses upon me just how much farther Linux has to go to become truly user-friendly. Again, I know what partitions are, I know what drives are, I know my hardware; none of these things are foreign to me. However the Linux way of referring to these objects is just too confusing for those 'not in the club'. I don't understand why Linux users would think this situation is acceptable. I know it's fashionable to hate on Microsoft and Apple... I hate them both too. But the alternatives are just not ready for 'regular' users like myself, in my opinion. Though I can play with computers, in my old age, I just want them to work. My days of wrangling with the hardware and software, enjoyable as they once were, are at an end. Can we please just have plug-and-play? Thanks. John

2 Likes

You raise some valid points that need addressing. Another user recently voiced confusion on the forum about how to identify the proper drive for installation.
That being said, however, there is a difference between The Familiar and User Friendly.
I could as easily suggest that those using Microsoft are “in a club of exclusion” with Microsoft being the only Operating System using notations like “c:” and “d:” and “f:” for drives - no other operating system does that.
If a person used Linux Distros all their life and then tried to switch to Windows, they may well state that Windows is not user friendly and too confusing since the system looks unfamiliar and they do not know where anything is. “And what is this Registry-thing? I have to Defrag the drive? Windows is not ready for prime time use.”
If you would like to try dual booting a Linux Distro, please feel free to ask on this forum for help if something is confusing. Together, we can navigate the unfamiliar and regular use creates familiarity.

1 Like

I appreciate your response and I agree with you. As mentioned, I am no fan of Microsoft either. I had to go kicking and screaming into their world back in the '90s. Yes, I did have to learn how to use the Registry and other Windows-esoteric items. That came with time; and with OS improvement that took way to long to reach us ‘regular’ readers. However, Micro$oft has made progress starting with XP, 7, and now 10 which I think is a very usable release, though still with issues if you run into problems. The thing is, I’ve only blue-screened once in the several years I’ve been using Windows 10. Again, though, it’s a reluctant admission borne out of many years of frustration.
Having said all of that, is there a one-to-one reference available; a sort of tutorial that would ease the transition from Windows (or any other OS) to Linux, specifically Zorian? I appreciate any and all thoughts.
EDIT: Just saw the post about an installation tutorial swarfendor437 posted here on the forums (August 2020); I’ve downloaded it and will check it out.

Beginning with Windows 2000 and into XP, Windows made a very stark improvement using the NT Kernel - something they tried to drop in Vista… we all know what happened there.
For Zorin guides, Swarfendor wrote the following for Zorin 15 (pdf):

The same guide in .ogt for lower bandwidth users:

This Zorin website has some Zorin Guides as well:

I was a windows user all of my life until just about Two Years ago when my HDD self destructed at a very inopportune time. I happened to have a Zorin Disk someone had given me months before (that I ignored), so I bought a used HDD and loaded Zorin on it. I loaded Zorin Core (which in hindsight, I think I would have been better off with Zorin Lite as it is more user friendly than Gnome is and much easier to find the settings) and began my journey. It was a very rough start… But now I am Windows Free and no intention of Ever going back.

1 Like

I appreciate the links and your help. Thank you!

I think that the journeys we take in life matter a great deal. But often, the roads we travel are rocky and rough. There are those that demand that Someone Else builds a better road. There are those that fix up their portion of road and there are those that help others walk along. Certainly, each may think their way is the best way, I think that is subjective.
The road to Linux is rough at times and smooth at times.
I really think this is true for any New Experience. We on this forum are some of those that stand by the road and try to help travelers.
Whether or not the Linux road is rougher than the Windows road- I cannot say. For me, it has been smoother. Others may experience differently. But what might matter to most is that in Linux, you find many users willing and eager to help, to smooth out the bumps, sweep away the rocks and fill in some gaps.

Free Open Source allows for a helpful and contribution sourcing attitude.
Currently, as of this day, things are a bit rough here. I am constantly back and forth inside to outside, ensuring all things are working smoothly, barking orders, gathering water, wood, checking that the chimney flues are clear. Interesting times. For the rest of this week, I may be less available personally… BUT- Please Feel Free to post any questions, concerns, observations or Criticism.
Any critical comments about the Operating system can help improve it. Believe me, I have plenty of my own. Many of us will try to respond as fast as we can.

When I first started using Zorin OS, I recall commenting on the old ZorinGroupForum that I hated Zorin OS. I thought it was terrible.
Now, I cannot imagine using anything else. The performance I get from Zorin beats out other distros- so whenever I want to try another… I end up installing Enlightenment or Mate or Cinnamon, on Zorin. It works better.

I’ll add to this by saying that every operating system has their pros and cons. If I carry Aravisian’s journey analogy further, I would say that using Linux is like driving your own car and using Windows (or Mac OS) is like being chauffeured around. While it seems nice to not have to drive, you have no control over where you go.

2 Likes