Zorin is a bad OS for Gaming

Here is example Linux gaming

I must sayed some distribution linux are very diffrent.
I saw Desktop KDE and Plasma.
I saw some gaming distributions with many things inside.
Nobara some project from fedora not a spin and Garuda arch they are ofcourse can go with that. Hearing also something with Rosa Russian but this is mandriva for old wolfs not for me.
That is my experience.
Will testing also Fregata.
I must sayed many distributions are diffrent.
Mabox is very configurable some arch manjaro distribution

To add, no operating system can be perfect as long as human beings make it. If you are wealthy enough to comfortably play the latest PC games, getting a Windows PC just for gaming is a realistic choice. However, I would like to say that this does not mean that Zorin OS is a bad OS for gaming.

1 Like

Well today i checked some distributions. Someone are only for gaming example a Garuda Gaming overfull with all stuff and emulators. Eating more ram installing in virtualboc need many RAM. Regata have also installed inside many type online gaming application.
Fedora propably is lower with that all.
I am still with Zorin because I am not a hot gamer lie EASport or something.
I just was curious how they looking and why they are for gaming.
Overfull installing many things for gaming could be usefull for people who liked most time with a game.
I liked a terminal.
Zorin is still good for gaming because mostly you decided what you want installing and system isn't overfull.
That is my opinion.

OT:

I don't know what Fsync is, but reading about it seems that is a function to force the changed files in cache (ram or buffer) to be write in the storage.
How does this make a program smoother and why it could be included/excluded in kernel?
Thanks

Exactly. What this means in practical use is that data in RAM can be stored on disk, preventing data loss in case of a crash.
It does not make the program smoother, but it does prevent in-game data loss for a gamer using it.

The Liqourix Linux Kernel includes fsync. Many gaming-specific distros come with it, as well.
Why would fsync be excluded - This becomes a complex answer very quickly.
It would be difficult to summarize the details in a long post, much less a short one.
I can cross-relate this to another topic on Linux: Using the latest and the greatest simply because rather than research, it is easier for the user to just assume that the Latest Package is automatically the best to have.
This happened with Fsync, as well. It was often assumed to be needed or beneficial, even when it was not. Some games may benefit with Fsync use and others may not. The assumption made, the requirement to have Fsync was put into place... And this negatively impacted the perceived performance of Fsync.
I highlighted the word "perceived" deliberately, since there is a difference between performance actually being affected and whether it was only perceived to be.
To the end users perspective, both are one in the same.
User perception matters though, when deciding what to include in the kernel.

Add to this another noteworthy factor: Spinning hard drives. Using fsync also means spinning the hard drive more frequently. Aside from drive lifetime, this also can increase delays in performance. This can be addressed with another patch in the kernel. This would mean, though, adding another patch to the kernel.
For SSD's, you can easily understand the read/write lifetime limitations.
You then must confront the wisdom in two rather stark patches to the kernel that would only be applicable to some users. It would be uneeded by many users and even can have some concerns about perceived performance as outlined above.
Since it becomes a case where using it requires some knowledge, intent and dedication, it becomes preferable to leave Fsync to those that need and want it, rather than push it onto everyone.
And clearly in this, it becomes unreasonable for any user to have expectations that it be automagically included in any distribution, for them.

The Liquorix Kernel does work well on Zorin OS 16. I have used and tested it quite a bit. I consider it a last resort, simply because if you try to remove it, you can run into some problems unless you are careful.
And some auto-cleaners do not know to be careful.

Thanks for the replay.

So if I understand correctly: if I'm writing a doc, Fsync would save the modify I made while I'm working (but not like the autosave).
I presume that this will be done by some daemons(or whatever) loaded by kernel interdependent by the program I'm using. Otherwise if it has to be called by the program, it's the "save file" command, and I don't think that it would be a great idea don't implement it :smile:.

If Fsync runs independently, I think that's is better to not have it, because more or less it's a service that consume resource, and there is no warranty that the data saved could be useful to restore the work done if the programs isn't coded to use them in the rare case of system crash.

I am wrong?

1 Like

No, I would say you described it well. In fact, Firefox users had just such trouble with Fsync, initially.

It's all about Applicability.
To a gamer, with a fast-paced environment that already draws a lot of resources, such a thing would be well worth it and quite a boon.

1 Like

Today I discovered my games have little FPS what wasn't before.
I don't know what it could be - i suspicious poor graphic card.
Question is if working before better, why now working not better.
I can live with that not using a games, then next question if i can find or using software what using on old windows. Besides 3 days with Zorin fulltime it gived a chance i am not addicted a windows. xD
I will working with that.
Linux is open big world with many choices.

I have compared between Ubuntu and Zorin. There were sometimes problems with hanging or crashing games in Zorin, but not in Ubuntu. I feel more comfortable with Zorin though, I like it better overall. I use Steam exclusively with Proton 7.0.4., even for games that are not intended for Linux. With Proton Experimental, the games often crash. Games I use that run well: Cyberpunk, The Forest, Alien Isolation, Borderlands 2, Counter Strike, Hellblade, Doom, Dirt 4, Insurgency, Truck Simulator, Tom Raider, Valheim, Warhammer 40,000, Stalker series, Spellforce 3, Prey, PayDay 2, Heroes and Generals, Call of Duty Singleplayer, Sniper, etc. The games don't run quite as performant as on Windows, but playable. I am very satisfied. System: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K, 16GB RAM, SSDs, Maximus Ranger 3 Mainbord and a Radeon RX6750XT.

For real high-performance gaming you still have to use Windows, there is no way around it.

That why i using little games what working on my old computer also not strony graphic card with Linux. I have more run with terminal, themes and discovering many interesting software on Zorin. That's adventure a game in Zorin😃.

Same, I use Steam proton to run all my games, currently been playing Diablo III with some old friends (reminiscing) and it works great. The only games that really don't work are a handful of AAA where the devs don't want to make the anti-cheat work under linux. most other games can be made to work.

1 Like

Comparing Zorin and Ubuntu, you have to state what release you used as Zorin is based on ubuntu 20.04.
Never have I ever had any games crashed on me. It most be because you use Radeon card :sweat_smile: (j/k) You know you can use Proton engines that are customized to specific games? Try check out eggroll GE Proton engines for specfic games.

My rx580 works like a champ :sunglasses: the only game that occasionally gives me problems is civilization 6 but that's almost always due to community mods I have installed they sometimes get wonky after a civ update and then the fun begins figuring out which mod is causing the issue :rofl:

My Radeon R9 390 R.I.P :slight_smile: changed next for nvidia.
Some games working better with directx and some with Vulkan.

You do know that proton is based on wine ? Everytime wine updates, steam and GloriousEggroll are updating their proton/wine files. GloriousEggroll‘s wine/proton files are for lutris and are running as good as steam proton.

Proton (software) - Wikipedia

Proton is developed by Valve in cooperation with developers from CodeWeavers.[3] It is a collection of software and libraries combined with a patched version of Wine to improve performance and compatibility with Windows games

I'm aware of that :wink:

1 Like

I use Steam with Proton enabled. I do not have Wine installed...

So, that said, I do not consider myself a Wine User.
You ain't wrong.
I'm just sayin'.

1 Like

Proton is based off Wine, but is customized and its own beast, just like Zorin is based off ubuntu, but is its own things its the same buts its not. I use Steam + Proton and No Adhoc wine packages installed.

I found information a version Zorin OS 8 Gaming was for games.
This project is stopped.
Linux distribution - you never know what you can expected next version or closed a project.