Zorin lite on core, lost bluetooth/network applets

I found something similar, even though they aren’t the individual applets…it’s in the indicator applet. Most people that were having problems with this either enabled this one or kept the gnome versions from autostarting at boot. I applied the indicator and don’t have to mess with the autostart.

Would it hurt the system to completely remove gnome, or are there things that depend on certain gnome libraries?

It is possible, but very tedious. If you are using Zorin Core, Gnome is heavily integrated into the system. Removing it will remove A LOT of other stuff, that you would need to note and replace, without rebooting or logging out in between.
You can try it out by sudo apt remove in terminal, then read what it will remove with it in the terminal print out- Such as the Zorin Desktop Environment... Just do not accidentally hit the Y button or you'll probably be in a bit of hurt.

Well, sometimes when I run sudo apt it doesn’t ask, just performs, so I’m not about to do that. Would it be ok just to remove the DE?

Same as above - The D.E. includes Gnome.
It takes up some space, but if you are not hurting for drive space, it is not really hurting anything sitting there.
And… IF you are anything like me- Which you do seem to be a bit- I would not worry about it. I predict Wipe and Reload is likely in your future, anyway. At which point you can just go full on Zorin OS Lite.
Back up often.

1 Like

since my /home is in another partition…what do I really need to backup? Snaps I have point to and use a directory in yet another partition (for sharing between windows).

Installations to root are not in your /home partition :wink:

I dunno. Back up anyway.
'smatter with you.

I was considering moving usr and etc to other partitions… That would cover most of it, wouldn’t it. Until I really get into modding my environment that’s really all that’s needs backed up, correct? The system logs aren’t important unless I’m having issues.

But I do see where your going with it. I’m of the mindset that you don’t waste space if you don’t need. Backing up just to back up is doing just that.

I think it is because I do more than just net browsing or whatever. I need to back up my files at the end of each day.
There are a lot of changes or new things.

Just because /home is on another partition does not make it safe. That partition can go wrong.
Or the entire Drive can.
I like three copies- at least.

One on the web and two physical? That’s how several companies do it.

It is, but i use physical since Clouds are small or expensive if large.

i am facing the same problem plzz help me

Welcome waaaaves.... the solution was marked as the indicator panel applet (you could disable gnome's, though it shouldn't run in xfce). Go into the settings for the taskbar and add the indicator applet, if it isn't already included, and log out/ log in. Shouldn't require a reboot, but it shouldn't hurt.