Zorin Lite - pavucontrol running at 100% cpu

Hello,

I recently installed Zorin Lite and after updating the system for the first time I now have pavucontrol running at 100% cpu; I had to turn autospawn to no and if i kill it, it actually still restart and after restarting it runs fine.
As a strange coincidence Firefox has also stopped working in such a way that pages stay empty.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I have run into variations of this problem - Both involving Firefox and Alsa or Pavucontrol. They are related somehow, but I do not know what that relation is.

The bug report for the pulse audio and ALSA issue… But that’s ff v52. You could go with ff v45esr (extended support release). Maybe they added a switch that changed the default for ALSA users. Get 45esr here:

In the report it even states:

"Anyway I compiled the release with --enable-alsa and --disable-pulseaudio and it seems to be working fine. For those new to this with the same issue, you create a file called “mozconfig” in the source directory containing:

ac_add_options --enable-alsa
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio"

Try creating that mozconfig file and reenabling pulse audio instead of ALSA.

1 Like

Thank you to both. Just to confirm I have now removed Firefox but pulseaudio on startup is still 100% CPU. I guess that using a different version of Firefox would not fix the issue? I can live without Firefox but I would like to fix pulseaudio so I do not need to kill it after reboot.

You may just have a leaky pulseuadio and it is coincidence that FF seemed problematic at the same time…
Have you tried;

sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove

rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound* ~/.pulse-cookie ~/.config/pulse

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

sudo alsa force-reload

Hello Aravisian,

I just figured out what caused the issue: I did install the Citrix workspace app and said yes to install the Protection Component. I checked journalctl and saw an error from both a Citrix demon and pulseaudio unable to connect to logd. So I deleted the Citrix workspace and reinstalled it without the protection component and it all works again!

Thanks a lot for looking into this!

1 Like