Zorin OS 15.3 OS Ultimate on Asus Laptop VX2S Nvidia - blank screen

Machine: Asus Lamborghini VX2S (2007). 128GB SSD, 4G Memory, 1680x1050 screen.
Zorin OS 15.3 Ultimate installation runs good. After installation the machine boots properly with login screen.
After logging in there is just an empty screen with a working mouse pointer, nothing else is working than Alt Ctrl F1 for the login screen. No ‘right mouse key’, which is my ‘wonder key’.
The “safe graphics” option on installation to install the proper driver after installation leaves me with the same.
(The Lite version installs and runs better, but not good enough and unuseable.)
So I installed Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) and it installs and runs smoothly.
Just the default installation. It recognizes the NVIDIA chip.
So I ran a terminal command to find out what driver was installed:

lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G84M [GeForce 8600M GT]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:38 memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:8c00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Is there a solution to this problem?

Have a look at this post.

Also involves an Asus machine. I am not sure if symptoms dealt with there are exactly the same as you are experiencing though.

Thanks a lot! Succes! I totally forgot how to reach ‘safe mode’ and get to a terminal screen or other options after installation. For me “safe mode” was for Windows, not for Linux.
I chose a little different route by choosing ‘advanced options’.
Did the update and the upgrade and chose to “sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall”, all in a low res GUI.
The last command I gave was “sudo update-grub”.
Then at boot, the NVIDIA logo came up and I knew we succeeded.
Zorin OS 15.3 Ultimate is now running without problems on this yellow Asus Lamborghini ZX2S and the full 1680x1050 resolution.
Again, thanks to all who contributed.

1 Like