Zorin OS 16 freezes

I have recently installed Zorin OS 16 and I have noticed the OS freezes very frequently and the only way to make it work is either to Press the power button on the laptop to enter into hibernation mode and then press power button to awake my laptop and then logging in back

Sometimes the above trick won't work and I need do a long press on the power button to restart the laptop abruptly.

Any suggestions on my how to fix this issue. I have attached my laptop spec in this topic as image

1 Like

The first thing I would check is that you have the correct drivers for the AMD Graphics card.
Are you using Open Source or Proprietary driver?

Sometimes running low on RAM can cause this. It looks like you have 8 gigs - which should be more than enough- might be worth testing for Memory Leaks or increasing swap.

Finally, this problem seems more common in Gnome / Gnome-shell. You may opt to reinstall the shell

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-shell

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

Thanks for your response. I am bit new to linux and haven't installed any drivers. Could you please kindly advise on how to check and install the correct drivers.

Also, could you please advise on how to test for memory leaks or to increase the swap memory

For AMD Drivers:
Add the oibaf repository (third party graphics driver developer):
Open a terminal with the keyboard shortcut ctrl+alt+t and paste into it (right click paste or ctrl+shift+v)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

Then update the sources and upgrade all packages:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

If you want or need the Proprietary Drivers, you must download them directly from AMD (Don't worry that it says windows):
https://www.amd.com/en/support

The following guides have lots of big words and intense images. Don't let it get to you; The actual work performed is quite easy. :slight_smile:
For Memory Leaks: this guide is a good starting point:

To Increase Swap:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.