Zorin OS 16 is the ALMOST perfect newcomer's distro

Ubuntu does not force you to pay anything and yet afer 13 years or so they still live. People who wants to donate will donate. But to charge 39 dollars or 47,19 euros for 4 items, thats bad!

Look at ubuntu, this system can be easy used with zorin

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Could you please correct the price?
See my above comment.

it is not the same for everyone.
If you are outside Europe it is 39 Euro.

Ubuntu / Canonical is backed, however. Zorin OS is not backed by any corporation.
This is actually one of the reasons to support Zorin OS. In so doing, it is our interests being heard, not a corporations.

One of the most common comments I see on the forum for why someone chose Zorin OS Pro is that they wanted to support the project. No one ever says they got Pro for the Layouts.

The layouts are a "Thank you." A perk to those that supported Development.

This is why I call it "Choosing Pro" instead of "Buying Pro."

I still think your points and the O.P.'s points are valid for consideration. But so are mine.
That comments on the forum suggest a desire to support development is not in itself Statistical Evidence that the majority of those who choose Pro do so for this reason.

8 Likes

I created a poll.
Please come and vote.

[edit]
Thanks for fixing my typo @Aravisian !
It is almost 2 AM here and my attention is a bit scattered :sleeping:

6 Likes

Since I first heard about this I have given it a lot of thought and of course this is just my opinion .... but we need to look at the Zorin OS from a business perspective .... none of us knows (or wants to know) the financial situation of the Zorins .... that is strictly their business .... the fastest way to go out of business is to be paying out more than you take in ....

So keeping that in mind if you take in $10 you can't pay out $25 to hire extra help ... you have to increase you cash intake .... hence you find sponsors to help replenish your cash flow .... as what the Zorins are doing .... they now have several sponsors .... now when you take on these folks you have to keep them happy or they will no longer help you with your enterprise .... these folks are your bread and butter ....

Now you can't just sit on your laurels if you want to grow so you are constantly looking for new sponsors and that takes time away from other duties you could be performing with in your company ....

So how to raise more capital .... well you could borrow the money but that means it has to be paid back with interest .... so while you gain money in the short term you loose money in the long run .... not the ideal situation unless you can use this loan to make much more than you will have to pay back .... should you miscalculate even the least little bit you may go broke ... and so all your customers (us) will have to go else where for their product ... (and we sure don't want that to happen ... do we)

So now we look for other means to fund our business ... how about contributions .... great idea .... should this be amount be mandatory or voluntary ....

1. Mandatory ..... how much and in what time frame ..... weekly .... monthly or yearly ... to much may put people off .... to little may not create the desired effects .... but you do know how much you will be getting from those that do sign up ...

2. Voluntary .... good idea but you never know how much you will be getting so that will be a huge gamble .... unless you have a huge contributor base ....

So what to do ....

1. Well it is possible that a yearly fee could be the most desirable way to create extra income .... weekly or monthly may be fine but has more chance of people jumping ship and now that income is lost somewhere at sea ....

2. Excepting contributions should be on a personal bases and above and beyond the mandatory funding .... with maybe possible extra benefits .....

So what can we do to help ....

For one quite comparing Zorin to other distros this ain't other distros .... if the other trips your trigger go for it no one is holding you here ...

Quite trying to put pressure on the Zorins to do things you want to see happen .... a suggestion is fine but constant complaining will do no good ... believe me the old expression "the squeaking wheel get the most grease" sorry folks that ain't happening .... we had a seminar one time and the speaker said "that wheel get changed" ... LOL

Don't expect Zorin 16 Pro to offer heaven and earth because it doesn't and most of us know that in fact I used 16 for several weeks before i went to Pro and didn't really expect anything as the desktop photos din't mean squat to me as I use my own pics ... I only want to help out the founders .... would I support a yearly fee .... yes but only yearly as I don't want to be bothered paying any other way ....

Was I said this is my thoughts and only my personal opinion .... you have yours and I support your views and ideas .... ther is no perfect solution and only the Zorins can decide what they want do ....

7 Likes

Interestingly, the rollout for Zorin Ultimate / Pro averages to about a year and a half to a year and eight months. Some users alternate between going Core for a release, then Pro for a release, doubling the time in between choosing Pro.

5 Likes

That would work also but I thought we would have to pay for pro again when the new version came out ... either way would be great ...

You're right, and my response didn't address certain entities such as Canonical (who are a corporation with corporate clients that also happens to produce a free desktop OS).

And this can certainly be a confusing point for those who are new to GNU/Linux.

My reply to your question was intended to be in the 'spirit of GNU/Linux'. Which is essentially a freely created, freely distributed and open system available to anyone who has the desire to try it. However, distros are a constantly evolving thing that require time, effort and support to be able to sustain. Considering this, I don't think it unreasonable to support something that one finds themselves so passionate about and relies upon very much.

5 Likes

I had 15,3 Ultimate but installed Zorin 16 Core when it was still in beta since I was eager to use its improved input system.
I had to reinstall Zorin 16 Pro when it was released, but I was OK with that. I prefer to do installation time-to-time so that I do not forget how to do it.

1 Like

Poor FrenchPress .... it's 9:00am here and a lovely sunny 30degrees C .... ho hum .... oh no now I gotta log my electric bill .... it just came .... WAAAAAAAA .... LOL

Get some rest lady you deserve it ...

1 Like

Interesting I just got a notice that my post had to be cleared by a moderator ..... have I been a bad boy ??????

For some reason, the forum artificial (un)intelligence trapped your posting. I just approved it.
If you have not done so, please add your vote in that thread I created:

1 Like

I did right after you did yours as there were only 2 vote and I assumed the first one was yours ... LOL

By the way that is the second time I had that happen in the past 3 days .... no big deal was just curious ....

1 Like

Oops, I did not see that, sorry :sweat_smile:

This artificial (un)intelligence even traps moderator's postings. It is mighy strange to approve my own posting :roll_eyes:
Really nothing to worry about. It is just a stupid computer algorithm.

2 Likes

alfred_e_neuman

2 Likes

The first word in this sequence is the cause.
I am sure I need not explain what it is being mistaken for...
I imagine that around Christmas time, we may see more trapped posts.

Each major release would require a new purchase, yes.

3 Likes

LOL .... interesting I had one other word that was considered not excepted here on this board but it made me change it before I posted .... good thing we do have big brother watching or I would be in a world of (you know what) .... thanks for the explanation ....

(testing)
Ho Ho Ho :santa:

[edit]
Yup, I got caught as well.

2 Likes