Zorin OS 16 is the ALMOST perfect newcomer's distro

I want to thank the OP for posting their valuable feedback on Zorin OS 16. I am however, not going to get into the debate on here about paid vs unpaid. We've already had such debates in the past on here, and having another debate is completely pointless.

All people have to do is use the search function, and they will find past debates over it. You all can debate until your all blue in the face. But reality is, the Zorin brother's are gonna do, what they are gonna do.

They have showed countless times, that at the end of the day, when it comes to serious decisions about the direction of their OS, they have the final opinion, and the final say, and what they say goes.

If one doesn't like it, they are free to jump to another distro. Again, the OP's points are valid. And one can have different degrees of a light and a dark them. It doesn't have to be only super bright, or super dark. You could have variations as well.

1 Like

2 Likes

I'm a bit late but wanted to add my 2 cents for it's worth on this.

I see zero issue with putting extra layouts behind the paywall. They are after all extra and one should get extra things when they're behind a pay wall. Nobody is stopping anyone from configuring other layouts and you're free to do so.

As for the reason that new users wouldn't be able to do that or find it confusing, sorry not sorry but that isn't anyone's problem. They can either take this as an opportunity to learn or use what is available for free. Which is more than Windows and Mac give you.

I'm not really understanding the fascination with the Mac OS layout, I don't like top bars nor do I like icons only. I'm not into the disappearing task bar either. I'm old and I'm set in my ways. This is one reason I hated Pop OS among some others. You're not going to please everyone all the time and most people like a bottom taskbar, that is what regular users are used to.

Ubuntu makes money on their Enterprise support and products, which Zorin does not have. Yes, Ubuntu puts out a desktop version, but IMO it's just thrown out there half finished which is why you see all these distros building on it and adding to it. I never ever recommend Ubuntu to a new user coming from Windows, they will get frustrated quickly. You can not possibly compare making money with Enterprise and Individuals, they are two completely different beasts.

4 Likes

Well said.
An opportunity to learn; this pressure that Linux put on me that Windows never did is what expanded many horizons to me that Windows left over the hill.
It was not bad pressure. It was not stress. It was not too much. It was just the right amount that I needed.
I have used Windows... often begrudgingly or with frustration. But I have enjoyed every bit of learning Linux and when it was not enough, I bought books and searched the web for more.
Making something easy to do can be fine, but it should not be made mindlessly easy. When you enjoy doing some work, you find less reliance on easy and more appreciation in accomplishment.

There can be no apologies for inspiring a person to learn or open up their world or to revel in something new.

5 Likes

Exactly..

And if they don't want to read or watch Youtube video's, they can google Gnome themes, download one they like and use that. They have 3 choices at their disposal. Or install another DE that has more options and is more user friendly.... Choices everywhere if one takes a second to look.

5 Likes

Wow! Now I see it with a whole new perspective.

2 Likes

My wife tells me this all the time. She is 20 plus junior to me. But I still have a few new tricks to learn as I explore Linux via Zorin OS. :laughing:

Alot of the new generation IMHO just seems lazy to look around and find things. Everything is suppose to be given. I come from the earning and learning group

3 Likes

I wonder how many people here remember Slackware.
My first endeavour was tough.

There was no such thing called Internet at that time.
Installer CD came in the mail order listed in computer magazines.
Then there was this endless dependency issue to solve. Compared with those days we are completely spoiled.

2 Likes

I was using 3.1 M$ then

2 Likes

I was using DOS V.
Windows came to Japan much later due to the double byte characters issue.

2 Likes

It seems we have a lot in common .... LOL ... and I will like to add you CAN teach an ol' dog new tricks .... I never thought I would be learning a new OS at my age but here I am stumbling along (With the Help of my Friends .... as the old song goes) ...

It takes me awhile to grasp things now and while my mind .... which used to be like a steel trap ..... can't hold bears any more it still can play havoc with a mouse .... LOL

3 Likes

After installing Zorin 16 Core (which I love, by the way), I removed Games and the Office Suite. New to Linux. Enjoying it. Thinking this will be the start of a long-term relationship.

7 Likes

And that's just it, they just want it all handed to them on a silver platter and feel entitled to everything including extras.

They can download a distro is a minute or two. We had to go buy the discs at the bookstore or wait 2 days and not use the telephone. :grinning:

What I don't get is, Windows comes pre-installed with tons of programs nobody wants or needs. Yet not a peep about that or having to uninstall it. And with a Windows install you sit there for hours installing all the programs you will want and need, they have no problem with that. Tell these same people you have to install a game, something different than LibreOffice, or a new MP3 player and they flip out as if the world is ending. It's too hard, it takes too long. Nothing is longer than installing a program on Windows and having to restart it 2 times just to get it working.

I found some icons I liked, but changed some of them out for different ones. I sat here and did it, took me all of about 15 minutes. Yes, I'm here to tell my story about it and didn't suffer depression over it. Amazing...

I'm reaching my point with some of these kids today where I'm the old man yelling, "Get off my lawn", :rofl:

3 Likes

From your Lips to God's ears... 10 Likes, but only 1 counts...lol
So many people seem to try this. Is this all part of entitlement culture?

I think it's great that technerd1 took the time to write what he thinks. But we all have different views, opinions. Trying to keep everyone happy with such subjective views is insane.
As for the Paywall comment, I completely disagree with how that's being portrayed.
I do like participation with different views. Something we seem to lack in society in general these days. We may or may not agree, but technerd1 has his views too.

3 Likes

it is not enough to have opinions or views. Anyone can do that. What really matters is when you are willing to question them, even as you defend them.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
Thanks for confirming my comment to Michel that people outside EU do not have to pay consumer tax :moneybag:

2 Likes

In our country you have to pay taxes, i wonder if zorin cares if you select a different country to avoid to pay the tax. If i select a different one i get €39 too.

The small big problem.
You need a credit card issued outside EU :wink:

2 Likes

Ha Ha. So a UK card is now OK then :rofl:

2 Likes